Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Morning Glory

Morning Glory's are my favorite flower. This picture was taken last summer. It's a spot along the fence in my backyard, which is just one of the places I grow Morning Glory's each year. Few things bring me as much satisfaction as stepping outside on summer mornings, a cup of hot coffee in my hands, and strolling through the yard greeting my herbs and flowers.
This is that same spot on the fence as above, from a different angle. This was taken a few days ago. I know. I should be embarrassed to reveal the sad state of neglect in my yard. Once the weather turns cold and the flowers are no more, I lose all motivation to spend time piddling in the yard. Clearly.
A little elbow grease, some warmer days (and sunshine), and I'll soon be seeing these beauties again. Heavenly Blue's are my favorite Morning Glory's. I do plant other varieties of MG's, and I do plant other flowering plants, but these babies are my favorite.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.~Isaiah 40:8 (New King James)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love morning glories, too. I don't have a good place to plant them, but maybe I could try growing them up a post like you have.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I am determined to grow some again this summer. It's been a few years since I've had some and they are my favorite flowers, too. I like the deep purple ones, but they are all lovely, are they not?

I can hear birds singing...It won't be too long and spring will be here. :o)

Tracy Batchelder said...

Morning glories are so pretty. We've been trying to rid ourselves of ours though for a couple of years. Not sure what variety--a perennial vine of some kind that takes over everything. Grows a foot a day or something like that.

Renna said...

Beth, try anchoring some strong string or jute cord from the ground up the post. It will give them something to cling to as they grow.

Amy, I like the deep purples, too.

Wool Winder, I've heard of the perennial type of Morning Glory's that take over like that, though I've never seen them. I don't think I'd like those so well, either!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

How pretty! I need to plant some of them.

Our farm had some of the perennial weed-type that will drive a farmer crazy. They don't look pretty like yours!

Kimmie said...

I love morning glories, but am a miserable failure at growing them. I have tried several times, did the soak method, the nick method, the I quit-throw them in the dirt and pray method...hmm, but yours look lovely.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted