Friday, February 22, 2008

Knitting Knews

I haven't gotten much knitting done lately. I've been busy converting my daughter's bedroom into an office. She left home three years ago this past December, so I guess it's safe to assume she's not coming back, other than for visits, of course.

I have finished a couple of scarfs. The fuzzy looking one is made out of a novelty yarn I had in my stash from back during the novelty yarn craze (which is what drew me into learning to knit). This yarn, when knit up, is incredibly soft. Soft and squishy!
The yarn is Bernat Frenzy. It's knit in plain garter stitch (knit every row). I can't remember the needle size I used, but probably the recommended size on the label for this yarn.
This is the yarn I bought in the half-price room at the Woolie Ewe, that I posted about last week. I'm making it for my daughter. I've knit two skeins so far, and want to add on one more, so it will be nice and long. It's knit in a simple 2x2 rib. She's a cold blooded girl (meaning she gets cold easily-not that she's heartless!) living in a very cold climate right now, in Minneapolis.
I knit her a thick scarf when she was living in Germany for the past three years. She asked me a few months ago if I'd knit her another one. Poor child. Her mamma's such a slow knitter. She looks cold, doesn't she? I better go finish that scarf before spring gets here!
For the record, this picture is from last spring when she was still living in Germany. If it were taken outdoors now, she'd be surrounded in snow, and bundled up to the point that only her face would be showing. It's coooold up that way.

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

My Open Nest said...

Ooooh, I love that grey scarf. N. will love it! BTW, she's too cute for her own good, isn't she?
I haven't knitted in over a year. I've been busy crocheting, and right now I'm up to my eyeballs in granny squares. Do you know how many it takes to make an afghan? A bunch!
Dana

Kimmie said...

Your scarves are lovely and your daughter is gorgeous! I bet you must miss her.

How did the office come out?

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Sharon said...

Renna, you finished it!!!
Will the burple mittens go with them? Or so you have another home in mind.

Gee, an office. I just converted my "office" into an extra bedroom, and confiscated a corner in our family room for my desk.

So now all six of our "bedrooms" are ACTUALLY bedrooms.

You'll enjoy having a room for yourself.

That sweet daughter....a disciple, taught of the Lord, obedient to HIS will and GREAT is her peace and undisturbed composure. (Isaiah)

xoxo

Renna said...

Dana, thank you; I'm really liking the grey scarf, too (so soft).
You should know about having a daughter too cute for her own good. That kid of your's is a living doll!
One of these days, I'm going to try and improve my crocheting skills.

Kimmie, thank you, and yes, I miss my daughter terribly. Thank God for cell phone free long distance!
The office is still a work in progress. ;-)

Sharon, I've shelfed the burple mittens for now. I really need to finish them, I know.
You do have a houseful! :-D
I will claim that scripture over my somewhat (for now) wayward daughter. Thank you!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Your daughter will love her scarf. How does she feel about her room becoming an office?

Renna said...

Wool Winder, I've been meaning to ask my daughter about that. She's a witty cut-up all the time, and has made alot of cracks about it, jokingly, of course.

I realized yesterday as I was cleaning, though, that I really should ask her, seriously, if it bothers her; as I recall feeling a bit strange when my mom transformed my bedroom when I moved from my family's home lo those many years ago!

Amy said...

My dd (15) is knitting me a scarf similar to the top picture - it is bright pink! Alas, I don't think it will be done before spring though.

Your dd is gorgeous!

Renna said...

Amy, you're so fortunate that you have a daughter that can knit for you! I wish I'd learned to knit before my dd left home, so I could have taught her. She doesn't seem that interested in learning, but I know if I had her watching me, she'd not be able to resist doing it herself, 'cause that's just how she is. ;-Þ

MSM said...

I'll repeat everyone else: your daughter is ridiculously gorgeous......

but I also have a question: why is there a little ladybug timer at your computer?

Anonymous said...

Renna, your scarves are very pretty and so is your daughter! Congratulations on your office!

Renna said...

Thank you all for the comments on my dd. I will tell you, she did not get her looks from her mamma. ;-Þ
Seriously, she looks nothing at all like me. Her daddy, my late husband, was half Italian, and she got her lovely features from his side of the family.

MSM (Jen), I sometimes do some online computer work for a company which pays me by the hour. I use the timer to keep track of my time.
Plus, he makes me smile. ;-Þ

MSM said...

It is an adorable timer, and I was just curious if you were so good as to keep track of your computer time - I often feel guilty about spending so much time on it, but don't want to time myself to find out exactly how much!!

Renna said...

MSM~

"I was just curious if you were so good as to keep track of your computer time"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....oh, you were serious?

Um..no, I'm not that good! ;-Þ

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Does that girl ever take a poor picture? I don't think so! Yep, she's gorgeous.

She is going to love the scarf!

Renna said...

Trust me, Marilyn, I do have some bad pics of Nikki. She might disown me if I posted them, though. ;-)

Sharon said...

Well, Renna....I make use of that Scripture for ALL of my family!!!

I thought your ladybug was a cute little "mouse". :)

Yes, it's fun having a house full...and I enjoy it all I can.
This is the first time that the kids have never needed to share a room. Our new home accomodates us very well.

Renna said...

Sharon, I was thrilled for you when I learned you were getting that home, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lovely scarves! And you daughter is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a georgeous daughter you have.

I love to knit, but don't seem to have time. Full time job, 3 granddaughters to smock for. That keeps me busy.