Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Is it Spring Yet?

Our trees seem to think so. We had a few days of 60's and 70's weather last week. It was positively gorgeous outside. Monday turned a bit cooler, then Tuesday was bitingly cold (below freezing for us is bitingly!).

Today is cool but the sun is bright and warm, the sky is a hypnotizing blue, and the birds are serenading!

This is my Rosemary bush in my poorly neglected herb bed. I should be taking advantage of all this nice weather and get out there and clean up the winter debris. I can hardly wait until it's warm enough to plant again.
I don't have enough space for a regular vegetable garden, but this cozy little spot in my backyard is big enough for a few favorite herbs, bordered in Marigolds.
I think I'm going to plant some loofah seeds along the wall edge of the herb garden this year. It's a perfect sunny spot for setting up my trellis, and I'd love to harvest my very own loofah sponges next fall. If I'm fortunate enough to get a bumper crop, I'll be happy to share!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Ooooohhhhh,

Your neck of the woods are usually about 4 weeks ahead of us...

Can't wait.

Rosemary? You have a LOT of it.
It's one of my favorite spices in teh kitchen.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Sharon said...

Hey, if there is a BUMPER crop of lufas o/ I'd be interested in being shared with.

I DID NOT KNOW they were grown. That is soooo cooooool

Renna said...

Sharon, that Rosemary bush was put in the ground from a 6" pot summer before last. I didn't know what I planted it that Rosemary survives the winters. At least it does here, anyway. :-)

KR said...

That rosemary bush is looking so beautiful & tasty! I am so looking forward to spring, and gardening, as well!

Renna said...

Thank you, Kristen. I'm enjoying it, even when I'm not cooking with it, I love walking by it and pinching off a stem to smell the heavenly aroma. I'm thinking about planting one in an area of my yard that gets more traffic this summer, so it can release it's delicious aroma when it's bumped by passersby. :-)

Tracy Batchelder said...

Redbuds are always the first to bud out. Yay, spring is on the way!

Amy said...

I believe I am feeling jealous all the way up north in Wisconsin. It just keeps snowing...and snowing...and snowing....

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

I didn't consider the source of loofah sponges. I hope you have a bumper crop!

It's looking like spring your way!