Monday, February 25, 2008

Charity Knitting

It was another exciting day at the mailbox. I've been signed up for nearly a year to participate in a charity knitalong at the Knitting Help website. Shandey over there is the mastermind and organizer extraordinaire of a number of charitable knitalongs, from preemie and full size blankets to lapghans. She's dubbed them 'Oddball'. It's been so long since they began that I've forgotten the reason behind the name, but I'm guessing it's because of the variety of yarn, stitch patterns, and knitters involved in each project.

She begins each blanket by putting it on circular needles and knitting three inches, then sends it on to the first person on the list of those signed up to participate. Included with it is a journal for each person participating to write an entry. Plus, there is usually a few little goodies in the box for the next person receiving it, from the last person who had it. It's a fun way to be involved in something which will ultimately truly bless someone (the blanket's recipient).

This blanket is dubbed Oddball Blanket #2. I took this picture right after removing it from the box. The last knitter to work on it was Traci, aka~Paper Girl at Knitting Help. She knit the natural tan looking color above the pinkish rose at the top. According to her journal entry it is Wool-Ease Wheat. I have never seen this particular Wool-Ease color, but I'll be on the hunt for it now. You can't really tell by this picture, but it is a beautiful yarn!
Sadly, while the blanket was in Traci's care, her husband's mother took ill and died. :-( Her husband asked her to write about his mom in the journal. I hope she (and he) won't mind me quoting it here:
"She would have been proud of all the people taking part in this blanket. As a teacher, she knew what comfort one could get from something as simple as a blanket".
I'm sending a big cyberhug out to Traci and her husband.
If you click on the top picture, you can see a better close-up the yarn Traci used, and the goodies she sent to me in the box with the blanket (there are a few less chocolates...ahem... now than there were in the picture).
I'm so looking forward to sitting down tonight and reading through the journal entries of the previous knitters. Many included postcards from their hometowns. The journal will make a memorable accompaniment with the blanket to the person who ends up receiving it as a gift. I plan to take the blanket to my knitting group later this week to share the love there.
If you've never done charity knitting or crocheting or sewing or whatever your craft may be, I urge you to find a need, and do your part to help meet it. I promise, you'll be as greatly blessed as the one who receives what you make.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've never heard of this before. What a wonderful way to knit a blanket for someone.

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

I have never heard of this before your post. How neat! What special memories someone will have along with the blanket.

A quilting club made blankets for the babies in NICU. Mr. B received one of them and it's been very special.

Renna said...

That reminds me, Marilyn, I'm also involved with a knitalong there for Preemie blankets.

Jennifer said...

Wow - that is amazing. I have never heard of this project before. I would love to join. Thanks for spreading the word about it. The Odd Ball #2 is simply gorgeous.

Kimmie said...

Wow, that is sweet. The blanket will be such a blessing to its recipient.

I need to get my knitting needles back out, I kind of got sidetracked Christmas time. I so want to learn how to make socks with dpn. My 17 yo (who is teaching herself as she goes) is giving a dpn sock pattern a go...I am hoping she will be able to walk me through it. I NEED a mentor!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Sharon said...

How FUN Renna,

Reminds me of the quilt the the gals made on the Swap many years ago. Is that the same thing?

Have FUN Girl!

Renna said...

Kimmie, once you knit your first sock, you'll be hooked! :-)

Tell your daughter, the video "Working the heel of a Sock" on the knittinghelp.com website is very helpful.

It's under the Advanced Knitting Techniques section of videos at their website. :-)

Renna said...

Sharon, that was before I came to the Swap, but yes, similar project, I'm sure. :-)