Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Yarn!

Hubby had a doctor's visit in Dallas last week. We discovered last year that he has a leaky heart valve. His cardiologist, a word I never thought I'd use in the same sentence as my very healthy Hubby, is monitoring it closely with twice yearly check-ups. The word from the doc last year was that Hubby would likely eventually need surgery to repair the valve (major surgery), though it was possible it might never worsen to that point.
God's Word tells me that He has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind (2nd Timothy 1:7). The day I heard that diagnosis last year, fear instantly gripped my heart, but I quickly took my authority as a child of the King and I cast down that spirit of fear. Hubby and I are believing God that he'll not need that surgery, and he will walk in good health all the days of his life.
Before the hospital, we stopped off at the Woolie Ewe in Plano. I love to go there when I get the chance, but on most trips to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we're rushed to get there and back home again. This time I told Hubby to bring a book 'cause I was goin' shoppin'!
There were so many lovely yarns there and I'm still rather inexperienced in making yarn choices. This was only about my 3rd trip ever to a yarn shop.
Woolie Ewe has a bargain room where everything in it is half the marked price. They don't advertise that fact, though. I had a fellow shopper inform me of it on my first visit there, but I didn't see a sign. I asked a clerk this time, just to be sure, and she reassurred me that it was the bargain room. I didn't want any surprises at the register!
My daughter's been on me about knitting her a scarf. She's trying to survive in the artic temps of Minneapolis and staying warm when outdoors is a measure of survival. She wears alot of black and grey, despite her colorful personality. I found several balls of GGH Savanna in the bargain room. There were seven balls in a pretty blackish grey color.
GGH Savanna:43% alpaca, 23% linen, 19% New Wool, 15% Polyamide.
It was regularly marked $10 and I got it for half that. Cool, huh? I also bought three more balls of it in a rusty brownish red color, though I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet. Maybe a hat.
I'm finding I'm not crazy about knitting with this yarn. It feels great, but it keeps worming on me, kind of like chenille. Odd.
Outside of the bargain room, I picked up two balls of Plymouth Suri Merino in a lovely blue. I'm not sure what it will be yet. Maybe handwarmers for a friend, or maybe a chemo hat, or even a baby hat for a young girl at church who just had a boy.
I got two balls of Plymouth's "Oh My!". They had some baby items knit up on display from this yarn and it felt incredible. So soft. I bought one white and one hot pink. I'd have preferred a pastel pink, but I took what I could get. The clerk told me they were having trouble keeping that yarn in stock. It's 100% nylon and it feels like buttuh!
I have been wanting the Knitting Pure & Simple child's poncho pattern in the picture below for some time. I was pleased to find it in Woolie Ewe. The Sirdar baby hat patterns caught my eye, too. Aren't the babies all so sweet faced?
I pretty much wiped out the Christmas cash that had been burning a hole in my billfold, but I'm happy to have new yarn. It was such a treat for me to get to go in a real yarn shop. Living in Hicksville USA has it's disadvantages, but at least the big city is only a couple of hours away.





Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Renna - Lots of *HUGS* for you and your husband. I hope that if he does get the surgery it will go perfectly and you'll have peace during the whole process. It looks like you've got quite a lot of delectable yarn to keep you busy. *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

Those baby patterns are just too cute!

It's great that your husband is under the care of his cardiologist. I have some heart issues, too, and it gives me peace of mind to know that a professional is watching out for me.

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks like you hit the jackpot! I have never been in a yarn store...wait, I take that back; I went to one a long time ago, just because it was there, in the middle of nowhere where I used to live, and I wanted to find out what kind of store it was. I didn't knit back then, so I never went back. Now I just go to craft stores; maybe when I get really good at knitting, I'll have to find a yarn store.

I noticed the Knitting Help link on your blog; are you on the forum there? I just registered; I'm "Ilove2knit".

I'll be praying for your hubby. Hugs!
~Christine

Renna said...

Christine, I'm Rennagayle over at KnittingHelp. I haven't posted on any kind of regular basis there in a very long time, other than on the charity Oddball blanket number 2 thread, though I do visit the site daily.

I'm next in line to receive and work on that blanket. I'm stalking my mailman, waiting for it to get here. ;-)

Sharon said...

Ewe Rennagayle!!! You're having so much fun!!

Hummmm stalking the mailman eh? So any day now.

The yarn is LOVELY. By the way, you haven't posted pics of the burple hat and scarf yet, are they finished?

I agree with you Renna...Mike will live and not die to declare the Glory of God....AND HE WILL LIVE IN GOOD HEALTH, in the Name of Jesus, because of the stripes of Jesus and His finished work FOR US ALL!!!

Renna said...

Amen to that declaration over Mike, Sharon! :-)

No, I've not yet posted a pic of the 'burple' mittens and scarf yet. ;-) There was a several day gap between completing mitten number one and beginning mitten number two, which resulted in a completely different gauge for me.

The second mitt ended up considerably smaller in the wrist band, so I'm going to have to redo it. Either one fits okay, but it looks funny. Sigh, knitting doesn't come easy for me. I ask myself daily, "why do you subject yourself to all this frustration?", LOL!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

I'm believing with you over Mike!

The yarn and patterns are pretty. I love the poncho. They were popular when I was young and mom sewed me several. I think the yarn was "itchier" back then and I had problems with it.

The rest of your yarn jargon was Greek to me. :P

Renna said...

I remember that itchy yarn of yesteryear, Marilyn. The yarns of today are so much nicer. Poncho's have made a resurgence in the past few years, too.