Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Little Secret

I have a confession to make. It could alter the way some of you think of me, though I'm trusting (hoping, praying) none of you are that shallow.

I don't watch American Idol.

There, I've said it. Let the rotten tomato throwing commence. I realize, from many blogs I've read, along with the e-mails and phone calls I receive from family members and friends, that I am probably one of few in this country who cannot list a single person on that show, save the judges. I'm not that out of the loop. I know they have that snobby British guy who makes people cry, and there's that girl who was a pop singer in the 80's....what's her name? And I know there's another guy, who's name will surely come to me later.

I don't have anything against American Idol, it just doesn't interest me. At all. Neither does reality tv. I wish it did. I have friends who watch many of the reality tv shows. I know our relationships could be so much fuller if only I could muster up the interest to join in the reality show craze.....along with the entertainment show craze. There are so many of those now, such as Dancing with the Stars, Skating with the Stars, Going to the Bathroom with the Stars.....okay, I just threw that one in to see if I lost y'all back when I shared my little secret.

I can only hope you all still love me. If anyone wants to talk Corner Gas, I'm your gal!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch American Idol either. Like you, I don't have anything against it. I've just never turned it on. But I did turn on the Jane Austen movies that were recently on PBS. :)

Sharon said...

LOL LOL
I've never watched American Idol either. Nor have I heard about the gas station. You'll have to "fill" us in on it, eh? LOL

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I don't watch it either. :o)

Shay said...

Well, you're not as weird as ya thought! Another non-Idol watching person here. But I do like a few reality shows, such as Top Chef and Project Runway. :~D

Renna said...

Suddenly, I don't feel so all alone. ;-Þ

Tipper said...

I never watched it until last season. My girls always begged but I wouldn't change their bedtime. Then last year I relented and we have all 3 been hooked since. But even if you don't watch- I still think your a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Heehee, me neither! I don't like "reality shows". I like reality shows; you know, like diy network, and hgtv. Those shows are real. :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

I admit to watching American Idol on occasion. But not much now that baseball season is back. Love my ballgames!

Anonymous said...

So you don't feel so alone . . . neither do I.

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

I'm another non-watcher. :D I did watch a couple of episodes, but it couldn't keep my attention. I do watch Biggest Loser and a couple of other reality shows through the year.

MSM said...

Alright, now I'm in the minority here, because I do watch it. But it's the only reality TV show I watch (that I can think of), unless you count Jon & Kate + 8. (and JK8 is hit or miss).

I only got "hooked" on AI because of my daughter; now it's a fun something we share, and look forward to seeing and discussing together.

(And the 'snobby British guy' makes the show worthwhile)!

: )

Renna said...

You non-watchers are only a minority among my commenters, not among the overall population.

I think no less of you who watch it than I hope you do of me for not watching it. ;-Þ

Anonymous said...

I don't watch it either. Zero interest.

In fact, not only have I never seen the show but I don't even know the names of the judges so you're well ahead of me there when it comes to following popular culture.

I do remember reading about a "Clay" in one of the early seasons, though. And wasn't there a very popular contestant whose unusual name started with "S"?

I did watch a couple seasons of Amazing Race, though. :D

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I don't watch, either! I hate the reality shows! Most of them, I see no point to them. I gave it a try, believe me. Because like you, I wanted to "fit in" and be able to engage in the conversations about all the hoopla!
I'd much rather a good chick flick with lots of tears and a "happily ever after" ending!

Cora

s said...

Hi, Renna. I found your blog by way of Berlin's Whimsy and found myself compelled to reply :) I have no idea who's on A.I. either. No cable here (by choice), as there isn't much on that interests me... but I do miss PBS. I would have liked to watch the John Adams series on HBO, too.

Laurie said...

me neither!

Paula said...

Yesss! Finally someone who feels the same way I do about "American Idol"!
To be quite honest, I really don't give a turkey about very much on tv right now at all!
I'm too busy in my 'mater patch! LOL

Remington said...

I can't stand American Idol. If I do watch TV it's usually The History Channel, Discovery, TLC, National Geographic or the Military Channel. I admit to liking Law and Order and will tune into CNN. Only sport I watch is baseball so my TV is limited unless a channel is showing a good western, war or cop movie.

Kimberly said...

Maybe we should start a sisterhood of the non-idol worship... er.. watchers. ;)

Noodle said...

YES! A kindred spirit! I don't like American Idol at all. Or reality shows. Or much of anything on television at the moment. Except Numbers. I do love Numbers.

Wait. Do Curious George and Clifford count? :)

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.