Friday, April 18, 2008

Sitting Pretty

Cedar Waxwing
I snapped this picture a week or so ago as Hubby and I were leaving to go out one evening. It was dusk, so the light was poor, though I did edit it in Picasa. This fellow was not alone. There was a flock of at least two dozen of these beautiful birds in one of our trees.
Isn't it funny how the birds you rarely see are those which excite you so? I remember a friend who lived in another state once telling me how excited she was to see a Redbird (Cardinal) at her feeder. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Redbirds, but they are commonplace in my yard year 'round. Though the appreciation is there, the thrill is gone.
I went to my weekly knitting group tonight. I've been going off and on for a couple of years now. I wish I could go every week, as it's so nice to sit and knit with others who love it like I do. Tonight, they helped me over a snag I'd hit in understanding the instructions of a pattern I wanted to knit. The ladies in this group are such neat women. I'm always a little sad when I realize it's time to go.
I guess part of the thrill of going to knitting group is the no-guilt knitting. When I'm home and knitting, there's always this nagging voice in the back of my head saying things like "don't you think you should be doing laundry?", or "the kitchen floor won't mop itself, you know". I've even heard "you lazy heifer, put those needles down and clean the toilet!". Man, I wish she'd put a sock in it!

Some of you non-knitters left comments that you'd like me to post a picture of my new stitchmarkers (from Ponyknit ) in use, to understand their function.

This close-up picture really shows off the pretty little square beads. As I'm knitting this baby hat, I need to gradually decrease the number of stitches on each round of knitting so it will get smaller as I go toward the top. My instructions tell me to make a decrease right before each stitchmarker. When I get to the last two stitches before each marker, I knit two stitches together, thus making a decrease. So, as you can see, they serve a nifty little function, plus they're plum purty!
So, are you non-knitters ready to try knitting yet? ;-)
And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands.
~Hebrews 1:10
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I saw a book at Michael's called, "I Taught Myself to Knit" or some thing like that. I almost bought it. Hey!!! I have a 40% off coupon. Maybe I will go buy it!

I love the knitting markers. They would make great earrings! :-D

Felicia said...

What a pretty little bird :)

MSM said...

Okay, those knitting markers are super pretty; hard to believe they are functional as well!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Cedar Waxwings are so sleek looking. I get a thrill at seeing them too.

Laundry day IS my knitting day. I allow myself to knit between loads. Haven't perfected cleaning toilets and knitting at the same time though.

Netter said...

I sort of taught myself how to knit. My goal is to knit a pair of socks. Let me tell you, I'm not there yet. Forget it! I do however have a DVD that my Mom bought me with step by step directions. I'm a visual learner. If I see it done, boom...I'll get it pretty quick. If I have to read the directions, it will take me a lot longer to figure it out.

Cute little bird! Ah, I love spring. I dont think I have ever spotted a Cedar Waxwing before. I wonder if we have them around here or if they were around my hometown in Nebraska. I'll have to ask my Aunt the Bird Nut.

Netter said...

Oh I forgot...did you make the knitting markers? I've made some but I use lobster claws because they are easier to remove.

Sharon said...

Gee Renna - I thought it'd be "plum purDy"... :)

Yes, I've often seriously considered taking up knitting since reading your blog. I've watched Vicki crochet and it made me interested in doing the same.

It's something that I've often thought I'd do in the fall winter time. I'm going to be gathering things during the next few months...mainly some research and patterns between now and then.

You HAVE inspired me, Love.
xoxooxxo

Amy said...

Housework is way over-rated!

Your creations just fascinate me!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Very neat! I didn't know how the markers would work.

Kimmie said...

Hi Renna;

I would love to knit with you, I am a beginner and would love a mentor. I so want to learn to make socks on dpn. Not sure if I will ever find a mentor, funny I ask everyone I meet...nobody here in my circle is a knitter. drats!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing how the markers work. And your work is beautiful so neat!

Paula said...

Yes! I want to learn! (I want to learn to spin, too.) Renna- you need to write a how-to book for me... sort of a Knitting for Dummies kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

Cedar Waxwings are one of our favorites when they arrive in our yard. Generally on the coldest day of the year.

Anonymous said...

Those beads are beautiful and what a wonderful place to put them. Brilliant!

It is so fun to watch birds, I love Cedar Waxwings but rarely get to see them.

Love your blog!