Thursday, October 16, 2008

Things In My House Thursday

I was having trouble getting inspired with what to share today. Anything I generally show that's in my house has been photographed outside of my house. I love the tall trees surrounding my home, and the shade they offer works wonders at keeping our electric bill down in the summer. The downside to them is that my house is very dark. Many of the things I'd like to show you in TIMHT posts are not easily portable, so I was struggling with what to share.....then I read Marilyn's TIMHT post, and decided to just copy her. Again, thanks, Marilyn! ;-)



The item I'm featuring today is this little burned out child's Singer sewing machine, but notice how sneaky I am, in that I'm using the opportunity to also show off my porch stitchery scarecrows? Later about that, though. This little Singer should really have been relegated as garbage long ago, but I'm helplessly sentimental. It's one of the first Christmas gifts I received as a child that I actually remember. I'd have to ask my mom how old I was, but I think I was 4 or 5. I don't think I'd started to school yet.

Christmas wasn't far away, all the packages were wrapped and stacked under the tree. My mom being the perfectionist she is, I imagine it was a beautiful sight to behold. My mom, dad, and brother were all outside, visiting a neighbor, I think. At least I know they were doing something that I figured they'd not likely walk inside and catch me if I were to take a little peeksie. I could barely contain my delight when I gently removed the wrapping and saw what I was getting. I thought I was so smart as I carefully rewrapped the present and returned it to it's position under the tree. Roooiiiigght. We all know 5 year olds are such excellent gift-wrappers! I did get found out, for sure, but I can't remember getting in trouble. Maybe I did, but if so, it wasn't severe enough for me to remember it.

My folk's home burned to the ground nearly 20 years ago, and my mom had my little Singer machine proudly displayed on an old antique buffet in her large farm style kitchen. It was still in perfect working order. Neither my mom or I could bear to throw it away after the fire, so I keep it on a shelf as a reminder, not so much that it survived the fire, but simply as a childhood memory I've managed to hang onto in a mind that seems to forget too many things these days!


The big old crock to the right belonged to my late mother-in-law. I believe it came with her from Kentucky to Texas, as a young married woman. I know her father used to make moonshine in the Kentucky hills. Whether or not he stored it in this crock, I don't know, but it's certainly possible.

I sewed the stitcheries from a pattern I bought on the internet a few years ago. I'd give the pattern author credit, but it would require me dragging my lazy behind out to my workshop. If anyone's interested, just drop me a line or a comment, though, and I'll muster up the energy to go out there tomorrow. You can't see it under the fabric draped over it, but the chair is an old antique folding wooden chair from a long ago church. I laid claim to them from my mom's garage when she moved. I have such a teeny little covered porch that there's only room for one out there.





It's so much fun seeing what others have in their house on Thursdays. If you aren't participating, but would like to do so, please consider yourself invited. After you make your Thursday post, be sure and go to MSM's and sign the Mr.Linky there, so everyone can come see your Things in Your House on Thursday!

Posted by Picasa
Whoever says he is in the Light and [yet] hates his brother [Christian, born-again child of God his Father] is in darkness even until now.
Whoever loves his brother [believer] abides (lives) in the Light, and in It or in him there is no occasion for stumbling or cause for error or sin.
~1 John 2:9-10 Amplified Bible

18 comments:

MSM said...

Marilyn started something good: yet another child's sewing machine with an interesting history (my oldest sister was the queen of sneaking into packages before Christmas and wrapping them back.

The crock and scarecrows are great; I continue to be impressed with your handiwork!

Thanks for joining TIMHT!!

Nancy said...

I love the Autumn decorations. My house is usually only decorated for Christmas. I have some fall, silk flowers, but I seldom put them out. I need to look for them tomorrow.

zakkalife said...

Another sweet little toy, you would never see anything nice like that now, it would be made out of plastic. How special that it survived the fire.

The new look of your blog looks great. Marylin did a wonderful job.

Carol said...

I adore your sewing machine!! I'd keep a treasure like that forever. And your scarecrows are too cute!!

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis,
Wow I love your new blog look!! *smile* Thanks for sharing your treasures, I have never seen the small sewing machine too cute!!. I really love your scarecrows, they are so sweet and such a cute decoration for the fall. Do you make them and sell them? Let me know okay.

Hugz Lorie

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

That does have special memories...sad and good ones.

I'm glad that you thought of sharing it!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Love your stitcheries! I just adore scarecrows. They're perfect for the season.

So glad you kept that little singer. What a treasure!

Smiles,
Lea

Isle Dance said...

Soooooooooooooooooo pretty and meaningful. Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. :o)

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a sweet story about your little sewing machine. I love thoses kind of stories.
The dolls are cute too. I used to dable in doll sewing. It's been a long time since I sewed one.

Joansie said...

What a great story regarding your sewing machine. It holds happy memories and it should definitely be kept and passed on down through the generations.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm glad you kept the sewing machine. It has a good story attached to it and I enjoyed reading about it.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You have such a great decorative flair.

Thank you for sharing your story about your sewing machine. It's fun to get a peek into your life and learn more about you. :o)

Anonymous said...

Your porch looks beautiful! I was at an antique shop today that had a bunch of those crocks. Pretty penny they were, but then again, everything in that shop was expensive.

Netter said...

Love the scarecrows...they really are super cute.

The little singer is a keeper that's for sure. It's always nice to keep something with such a fun memory attached to it. Not that the fire was fun, just the Christmas gift memory.

Liz Harrell said...

LOVE the sunflowers. I always forget how fallish and pretty those are. I've got to figure out a way to use them next year.

Thanks so much for your sweet comments about my book. I so appreciate them, and really loved the Bible verse you left. It was touching, thank you.

 Cha said...

Oh Renna, I love your little sewing machine! I have a teddy, and some other things that I'm so glad my mom hung onto. the pack rattiness is genetic in my family.

Anonymous said...

So sweet that you've kept the sewing machine-and it looks right at home too.

Karen said...

I loved the story of the sewing machine. What a treasure it is. And the scarecrow pillows are too sweet!