Monday, October 6, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...

Outside my Window... I see drooping tree branches, their still green leaves weighted down with the morning's rain.


I am thinking... about how very much I love this time of year. Even when raining, it's so nice to sit outside on my porch and enjoy the cool air .


From the learning rooms... I am hoping to learn to use the embroider/sewing machine my mom left here for me to try. It would be nice to be able to make personalized gifts for family for Christmas.


I am thankful for.... so very much. My mind, as most people's these days, has been on the upcoming election. Though I have strong opinions of who I hope gets elected to the job of presidency, I know that whatever the outcome, God is still on the throne. He will never leave His righteous forsaken, and we are made rightous by the precious blood of His Son, Jesus.


From the kitchen... await the makings for tortilla roll-ups for taking to my ladies meeting at church tonight. We bring our own dinner or snacks, whether picked up on the way by those ladies working all day, or prepared in our kitchens by those of us fortunate enough to spend our days at home. We then pool our goodies and have a meal and fellowship for a half hour or so before beginning our meeting. I'll probably prepare spaghetti with meat sauce (ground beef/italian sausage) for Mr.Studley and my son John to eat for dinner.


I am wearing... a cotton t-shirt and a pair of cotton shorts. I'm barefoot with my Obikashi slip-ons nearby for when I take Leyna outside to do her 'bidness'. I pretty much wear my shorts around the house right through winter, especially now that I'm in the throes of the pleasures of menopause.....rooooiiiiiggghht.


I am reading... I'm still making my way through Spirit, Soul & Body by Andrew Wommack. It's not difficult to read, but I'm not finding much reading time lately. That, and again, that whole pleasures of menopause thing seems to be affecting my ability to concentrate.


I am hoping... that we have a good turnout for our ladies group meeting tonight. Our meetings have pretty much been on haitus since earlier this year. I'm happy we're starting up again, as I feel it's a good means of the women at church getting to know each other and being connected. Plus, my pastor's wife is leading it, and she always has good indepth things to share with us.


I am creating... scarves and hats with my knitting needles. My daughter, Nikki, informed me it's already cold in northern England where she's now living. "Make me scarves", she pleaded!


I am hearing... the whir of the Stanley fan sitting at my feet. They market it as being powerfully built for use in workshops. If they were smart, they'd add to that "powerful enough to cool a woman having hotflashes". That might be false advertisement, though, 'cause there are days when even my little Stanley doesn't do the trick. Seriously, my body feels like a racecar engine. I can go from a comfortable 98.6 body temperature to a raging 500 degree internal inferno in 0-60 seconds!


Around the house... I see signs of a very playful little dog. It looks like there's a toddler in residence. A toddler who likes to chew on rawhides. There are stuffed toys, balls, and half-chewed rawhides strewn about the living room and our bedroom. I wonder if I can train Leyna to put her toys away?


One of my favorite things... these days is when Jim (Nikki's boyfriend) sends me pictures of Nikki walking about their new hometown. He sent me some of her standing in a gorgous flower garden park near their hotel this weekend. I keep imagining myself, along with Mr. Studley, seeing all those sights, and walking in all those same places, next spring. Tentatively, we're thinking a possible March visit is in order. Nikki turns 25 in March, and she's really wanting us to come and be there for her birthday. We're praying about it, as it will be a big expense for us. Granted, we won't have to worry about lodging or transportation once there. Airfare, meals, sightseeing and souveniers will be our expense, the bulk of it being airfare, naturally. We never made it to Germany while she lived there those nearly three years. We don't want to let another opportunity pass us by.


A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... are to do more knitting, never ending housework and laundry, meal planning and stocking the RV for our upcoming camping trip to Arkansas. Oh, and getting a box of Nikki's stuff packed up and sent to her, that she keeps calling me every day asking if I've sent yet. She left her thick robe, houseshoes, and her ukelele here so they wouldn't take so much baggage space on her flight to Dublin. She knew I was a procrastinator when she left them here, so she may as well quit her nagging/begging/nagging. I will try and get it done this week, though. I need to find some bubble wrap for the ukelele, as she hasn't yet bought a case for it.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Fall 2005 Beaver's Bend Park outside Broken Bow, OK. View from our campsite on the river.



Happy Monday, y'all! I pray your week is productive, pleasant, and blessed!
~Visit The Simple Woman's blog to see how you can participate in the weekly Daybook on your own blog. Click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar for instructions.
********************************
Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]
So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?
~Hebrews 13:5-6 Amplified Bible

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renna-I enjoys these posts when you do them. Always fascinating to see what others do in their everyday life.

Nancy said...

Thankfully, I don't have those "power surges" anymore. My menopause started after a surgery in 1994: I was 43 and had no preparation for the "change." NONE of my friends understood what I was going through, but now, they understand completely.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Camping in Arkansas sounds like fun. And I hope you and your husband find a way to make it to England this spring.

Anonymous said...

I bought a book on menopause this week at the Goodwill for a quarter. It hollered out my name as I walked past. I fanned yesterday all through Sunday School.

I feel like I've had a nice visit with you this afternoon, Renna. Enjoy the rest of your Monday. I've got to get busy doing laundry.

cinnamongirl93 said...

I loved your post today. It was so nice to read at the end of my day.
Camping sounds great. I bet you will have real nice weather.

MSM said...

I love reading these posts; but that picture!
Ya'll pick the most gorgeous spots to go camping.

A trip to England in March sounds so wonderful; I hope you decide you can do it.

Karen said...

Gorgeous picture! I have a box that I've been meaning to send to my son for about 3 weeks. I keep telling myself "I'll mail it today," but the next day, there it sits. Your comment about the elections is so true. No matter who wins, God is in control.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Aahhh, the pleasures of menopause and having your own internal furnace! I pulled out my knitting last night, and although I'm currently ripping, it still felt nice to hear the click clack.

vikki said...

lovely, lovely post m'dear!! it is nice to flip thru posts & be able to comment... prayerfully this works! love the pic you took & your post about adventures of renna! too cute! will try & see if 'puter co-operates & will lemme load pics later... hated to load them in case i lost them in cyber space somewhere! otis is sucha charmer. i know u would love 'em!! =) puppy kisses & hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Debra said...

Renna,
I loved reading your day. I felt like I was there with you. I have been knitting tiny little mittens for one of my dolls. I've got to get busy on Christmas things...
Our dog has a rubber chicken that looks dead and plucked. Awful I know, but it's her fav toy because it's soft. Sometimes that thing SCARES me! She leaves it right in our way all the time.
Love, Debra

Carol said...

Ahh, great day Renna. Thanks for sharing with us all. I enjoyed reading about it. Have a blast camping. And doesn't your daughter know that every day you delay in sending, you get a phone call??? LOL

magnoliasntea said...

Lovely post! Yes, you must make that trip to England. You'll surely be glad you did. We lived in Germany three years, too. Long, long ago and far, far away. :)

Isle Dance said...

(((Beautiful)))

Joyfulsister said...

Oh Renna,
What a beautiful photo of the lake. I love reading The simple womans daybook. I will have to try it oneday. Thank you dropping by to visit, I finally get to sit and visit you all lol. Thanks for keeping me in prayer for the retreat.

Hugz Lorie

Susan said...

Wanted to drop by and say hello. Enjoyed your picture. Have a great day. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Can I come to your ladies group tonite? I have been thinking that I need to start doing something like that again! It is just hard to find the time in the evenings when hubs is home.

My Aunt Elaine lives in Broken Bow OK and we vacationed there one year when I was about 10. I have all kinds of hilarious memories of that visit!

iwouldratherbeknitting said...

I loved the photo of Oklahoma.. my America home and a beautiful place.

Schotzy said...

Just thought I'd tell you that I stopped in at Michael's today and bought 2 skeins of yarn becasue your blog has inspired me so much to try my hand at knitting again. I bought a cool magazine filled with scarf patterns so I am ready. If I can get up my nerve! Thanks, Carolyn

Paula said...

Sweet Renna... I always enjoy the bible verses you put at the bottom of each post... but I think this one was definitely put there for me... you'll never know how much I needed this!!!
Love, hugs, and a big smooch on the cheek if I was there with you right now....

I can't wait to see what you create with that embroidery machine... I LOVE mine!!

elizabeth said...

Renna I LOVE these posts that you do! Like others I feel like I'm sitting there with you through your day.

The photo of Beaver's Bend is gorgeous and reminds me that DH and I were wanting to go up there for a weekend. I'm ready now after seeing that!

Shannon said...

How wonderful. I lay awake last night listening to the rain pleating on our roof thinking the same thing! But was happy that the blue sky returned today :)
Have a lovely time with your group tonight. I find that this time of year groups and activities come back together after hectic summers.
I have an embroidery machine I would love to master! I hope to take a class this month- perhaps we can exchange notes?

Juri said...

I, too, enjoy these posts...I feel I get to know you so much better!

Juri

Eve said...

First off, you will never get those toys put away unless you do it. Trust me on this one.
LOL

I loved taking this thought journey with you. It is 82 and sunshine today. I must get outside more and enjoy this beautiful weather.
I need to get out my needles or my sewing machine and start some gifts. Time is ticking away.

Joansie said...

Very interesting posts. May I ask generally what geographical location in New Englad you will be visiting. I live in Vermont, am from Maine originally and daughters live in Rhode Island. You will love it!

Joyfulsister said...

Hey Sis..
I wanted to drop and say helooo I love your visits you always make me smile. I added myself to your followers!!!

Hugz Lorie