Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday's Fave Five


Friday's Fave 5 is a time to think back over the week you've had, and post 5 favorite things. It can be anything that tickled your fancy over the week; favorite quotes, posts, happenings, scriptures, recipes, pictures, etc., etc.
Friday's Fave 5 is hosted by Susanne, at
Living to Tell the Story. If you'd like to share your Friday's Fave 5, go here to get the scoop on how to participate with on your own blog. Afterwards, don't forget to go back and sign Susanne's Mr.Linky.


1.) The first thing that comes to my mind is the gorgeous weather we've had this week. Daytime highs have been in the 70's, and a few evenings have even gotten down into the 50's. For a cold weather loving gal like myself, this has been a sheer delight. When you go through the hot & humid summers of northeast Texas, you learn to really appreciate the dryer, cooler temperatures while they are here.

2.) I became better aquainted with a particular neighbor this week. I've been on a 'waving' and saying 'hi' basis with her for a number of years, and we've even had short chats, but lately there have been opportunities for our friendship to bloom. For that, I'm thankful.

3.) My mom's health and frame of mind seemed much better this week. In the past five years, her health has been poor. She's had a couple of surgeries, and she never seems to recuperate to the point of being pain-free. Because of the chronic pain with which she lives, she seems different. She does have to take a lot of pain pills to endure the pain, and I know they affect her ability to think and focus clearly. She called me last night after the vice-president nominee debate and sounded completely like her old self! It was so great to have a conversation with her just like in the old days.

4.) I had a long visit with my daughter in England today. She calls regularly, but today's visit was a particularly fun one. She was cracking jokes and making me laugh. She's excited that they're going to look at house rentals this weekend. Plus, today she interviewed on base and got the job she was really, really wanting.
There were 3 or 4 other job offers on base, where they were wanting her to come in and talk with them. The others were for office type work, but this one was in the daycare, and she wanted it so bad she could taste it. I know, some of you are thinking "daycare over an office job?". Okay, maybe you aren't, but I would be, but then maybe that's because at 52, the thought of taking care of tots all day sounds a bit overwhelming. This is Nikki, though, and there's nothing she loves better than being with kids. She adores kids, and kids adore her. She has the energy to play with them, and a natural aptitude to discipline them authoritatively. It will take a couple of weeks for the paperwork to all go through, and she can hardly wait.

5.) I got to attend my knitting guild's knit night last night. Due to various scheduling conflicts, I haven't been in months. As it turned out, Michelle (owner of the craft store where we meet) and I were the only ones there. It's the first time Michelle and I have gotten to really have a one-on-one conversation of any great length, and I really enjoyed it. I can't say as we got much knitting done, but we had a good visit. If you're reading, Michelle, I'm wavin' at you. ;-)


Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and a thank offering and into His courts with praise! Be thankful and say so to Him, bless and affectionately praise His name!
~Psalms 100:4 Amplified Bible

17 comments:

Carol said...

Wow Renna. What a great week you've had!!!!!! Especially fabulous about your mom!!

Jennifer said...

What a lovely way to recap the week. I like this idea! Have a great weekend.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Have a great weekend!!! SOunds like you had a great week!!!!

Karen said...

I'm so glad you joined in! I enjoyed reading your list, especially the part about getting to know your neighbor and the nice chat with your daughter.

I agree, this is a great exercise.

Karen said...

I'm so glad you joined in! I enjoyed reading your list, especially the part about getting to know your neighbor and the nice chat with your daughter.

I agree, this is a great exercise.

Anonymous said...

How nice that you had that time with your mom. My mom is the same and I love the little glimpses of "normalcy" that I get once in a while.

Also, glad to hear about Nikki's job! It is wonderful to have a job that you love. Good for her!

Is she overseas because of the military?

Nancy said...

I need to get out of my comfort zone and visit with the one neighbor that I just don't know. The family moved in over a year ago, and they just seemed a bit reserved and unfriendly; perhaps, I am giving them that impression, too. I need to find a way to reach out.

Willow said...

I enjoyed reading your fave fives this week! I'm so glad for your mom and you to have had such a great conversation.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Sounds like a very enjoyable week. We had our first frost last night! I'm just not ready for the season change yet!

Isle Dance said...

What a beautiful week, indeed! :o)

MSM said...

This is a great idea, and I love getting a look at your weekly happenings.

Excellent news about your Mom.

What you've got me wishing for - a Nikki blog.. . I can't get enough updates on her because her personality is addictive and her lifestyle so adventurous!

Renna said...

Carol, thanks. I really do miss the relationship I had with my mom back before she got sick.

Jennifer, it's always good to look back and see what we can be thankful for. :-)

Cindee, thanks! I know you'll enjoy your weekend decorating your beautiful yard!

Karen, thank you. I'm happy I discovered the Fave Five on your blog! :-)

Randi, thank you! Nikki and her boyfriend are living over there, working (or she soon will be) on an Air Force base, employed by the Dept of Defense.

Nancy, I know what you mean about the comfort zone. I have to force myself out of mine.

Willow, thank you so much. I'm glad you stopped by! :-)

Barbara (cinnamongirl), I don't blame you. I hate the thought of fall ending, too. It is my favorite season of the year. :-)

Isle Dance, thank you! I can't live surrounded by eyepopping gorgeous scenery such as yourself, so I must look for my blessings elsewhere! ;-Þ

Jen (MSM), I'll pass the word along to Nikki, but don't hold your breath. She's never liked spending much time on a computer, unlike her mother who spends too much time on one! ;-Þ

Susanne said...

Nice to have you join in this week Renna! I loooove your list. So many nice things, no wonder they made your favorites.

I totally emphatize with you about your mom. Mine is the same way. I don't she's had a pain free day in years and the meds do affect the way she is also, I think. It's so nice when they have a day when are relatively without the pain and the med is not slowing them down!

How nice that you had such a great time on the phone with your daughter. Again I have something in common as I run a dayhome with 6-7 kids in it and have for almost 19 years. I hope she gets the job she wanted!

And again, I love fall and the cooler weather. You'd love it here in Southern Alberta. Again thatnks for playing. Hope you join in next week too!

Leaon Mary said...

Hi,
I had to pop by your blog tonight and see if you had any other pictures of your dog, and then as I scrolled down I see you just took his picture yawning. I just laugh outloud every time I see his mouth wide open like that! It's sooo funny! Thank him for always making me shake my head in disbelief and for the smiles.
Lea
<*)))><

magnoliasntea said...

Hey there! I'm so glad you came by my blog for a visit! I love your blog and will surely be back often. You're daughter is in England! Glad you had a wonderful visit with her. I must stop fretting over my youngest being a state or two away.
Thanks again,
Toni

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your week went well-which is nice!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Each week is full of blessings. It's good to look back and thank God for his care.