Monday, October 20, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook



For today...

Outside my Window... the view hasn't changed much since last week. I'm still seeing Morning Glories, though the blooms are looking a little smaller. The vines are still quite green. I'm enjoying the color while it lasts.

I am thinking... about what I'd like to share at our ladies group at church tonight. We're going to discuss the movie we saw, and talk about ways we can implement what we learned from it in our own marriages.

From the learning rooms... I was tempted to simple delete this line of my Daybook, as I don't seem to be learning much these days. I'm doing good to keep doing the things I already know these days. I should be challenging myself more.

I am thankful for.... my husband. I'm sure I've said it before, and will likely say it again, but I'm saying it today. I saw the movie Fireproof this afternoon. I went with the ladies group from our church. I don't believe there was a dry eye in the theater. It was such a good movie, such a good story. It had gripping drama, burst-out-laughing humor, heart break, and victory. It was an awesome story of love, both the love shared between a man and a woman and the love of God for all men and women. It's the kind of movie that you take something with you when you leave the theater. It made me want to be a better wife to my husband, to make more of an effort to show him how much I appreciate him. I can't say that about too many movies I've seen.

From the kitchen... is the aroma of freshly brewed, freshly ground coffee. Ahhh. Did you know a recent study found evidence to believe the mere aroma of coffee helps wake you up? It seems they found found that the aroma of coffee helped restore brain activity in sleep-deprived rats to normal or near-normal levels. That's all nice and dandy, and no one loves whiffing the coffee beans in the grinder more than me, but it's that first actual sip of a brewed cup of joe which gets my motor running in the mornings.

I am wearing... capris, a t-shirt, and my Obakashi's. Our highs this week will be in the upper 70's, so it's not time to pack away my capris yet!

I am reading... only blogs these days, I fear. I am subscribed to too many blogs! Who do I let go, though, not you, for sure! ;-)\

I am hoping... Mr.Studley's bloodwork comes back good today. He's at the VA getting labwork done. Due to a condition he recently developed called Polymyalgia Rheumatica, he's being treated with prednisone. For those unfamiliar with prednisone, it's a steroid, which preferrably is not taken long term, though with some people that's unavoidable. It causes an increase in appetite, and can lead to diabetes. My sweet hubby, who's never had a weight problem in his life, and never had a sweet tooth, has now gained five pounds, and can't stay away from the sweets. Welcome to my world, honey.

I am creating... a list of camping supplies. Mr.Studley and I will be pulling our 5th wheel travel trailer up to Arkansas in a couple of weeks. We're hoping to time it with the peak fall foliage there. I need to decide what all to take from the pantry, as well as what pots and pans I'll need. We keep dishes and various sundries stocked out there, but some things from the kitchen will need to be packed.

I know I'll love it once we get there, but I always get overly anxious before we take out-of-town trips. I mean, I really dread them. I always end up having a good time once we get there, but it's the leaving part that bothers me. Plus, I know we're going to be pulling the trailer up (and back down again) some very steep grades. I am the world's worst chicken when it comes to traveling on mountain roads. I've cried all over Colorado. I try and pray, but I suffer the worst anxiety attacks when we're traveling. I know I'm a nuisance to those traveling with me (which in this case will just be Mr.Studley) , but I simply can't help myself.

I am hearing...birds, delightful singing birds.

Around the house... is scattered evidence of Leyna. Chew toys, half-chewed rawhides, stuffed animals, and pull toys are lying about in every direction. The other day while she was napping, I walked around picking up all her toys and placed them in a basket in the living room. She woke up and spotted me doing it. Immediately she ran over and started pulling each one out again. She's a mess, I tell you, a MESS! And I love every minute of it. ;-)

One of my favorite things... is sitting at my computer each morning and reading my e-mails and comments left on my blog. Seriously, it's one of the highlights of my day.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... is to start packing the travel trailer, take Leyna to the vet and get her toenails trimmed, hunt for the plastic tote bucket which has our sweaters and jackets stored in it (am hoping it's not in the attic-such a pain), gather up more things to take to the thrift store donation box. There's more to be done, but truthfully, I haven't planned too much out yet.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Pagosa Springs, Colorado, as we watched the geese flying over the river at our campsite
Hearing and seeing a flock of geese flying overhead always thrills me. I usually hear them before I see them. The faraway sound of their honking, which I sometimes mistake for dogs yapping in the distance until they get closer, alerts me to look toward the heavens. I frantically bob my head around, so fearful I'll miss my opportunity to see them before they've flown out of eyesight. Their appearance in the spring marks the arrival of our coming summer, and this time of year, in the fall, it lets us know winter will be here soon. I've seen two flocks in the past couple of weeks, both flying south, of course.
I'm thankful that Mr.Studley gets as excited about seeing the geese as me. He'll come running in the house, shouting "get outside quick or you'll miss the geese!", and we'll race each other out to the street where the trees in our yard don't impede our vision. I imagine some would find us 'simple' getting so excited over a flock of geese, but there's something so majestic about them soaring across the sky in formation, wings flapping untiringly, driven by instinct to push onward to their destination. As I'm forced to look upward to see them in all their glory, I am always reminded of God's glory, and I never fail to thank Him for letting me witness it.

~Visit The Simple Woman's blog to see how you can participate in the weekly Daybook on your own blog. Click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar for instructions.


And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly and swarm with living creatures, and let birds fly over the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.
~Genesis 1:20


23 comments:

Joansie said...

Do enjoy your camping trip. I always find them reenergizing in the end.

I hope your hubby's bloodwork comes back just fine. I read with interest what it was all about as I sometimes have similar issues.

Have a great day!

Tracy Batchelder said...

We saw some pretty birds this weekend in Matagorda including a Bald Eagle! He was much too far away for a picture. If we wouldn't have had binoculars to view him, I'm not sure I would have believed my eyes.

You should bring the fifth wheel down this way sometime. No hills at all between here and there.

Nancy said...

Don't even get me started about prednisone! Love how it helps with a condition and dread the side effects, weight gain and more weight gain.

Oh, how I love geese, and you described them perfectly. On the farm, I welcomed them in the fall when huge flocks would glean the corn fields after harvest. I really miss the farm this time of year.

Karen said...

Love your description of watching the geese. I saw the first flock of the season on Saturday at my daughter's soccer game. I'm always in awe of how they fly in formation.

We haven't had our camper trailer out in two summers. It's a small one, 24', and our family just fits now that the kids have grown so. I like to think that Hubs and I will enjoy it again when it's just the two of us. Someday:)

cinnamongirl93 said...

The geese have been flying over our place for a month already!

My girlfriend just told me about Fireproof. I told my DH that we need to find out where it's playing.

Your trip sounds like fun!

Paula said...

Wonderful!! I love hearing about your day.
Now about this camping trip.... got room for me? (and 2 sheep, 24 chickens, another dog, 1 farm man...)

MSM said...

I can't wait to see pics of your camping trip;

And I still haven't made it to Fireproof - gotta do that!

Liz Harrell said...

You know, I think the aroma is coffee is the whole reason I drink it in the first place! ;)

Schotzy said...

We loved Fireproof! Lynn even teared up! I love the geese flying! I wish we saw tat more. I've seen it maybe three times in my whole life! Great daybook! Be blessed this week! Carolyn

John and Lisa said...

Have a wonderful trip, it sounds just delightful to me (although I would probably be nervous on those steep grades as well).
The geese are beautiful. I am so glad that you and your hubby are able to enjoy them together.

Carol said...

Loved your day book today Renna. Have fun camping. When you get scared, start humming instead of crying. They say humming stimulates the happy centers of the brain. If you follow me around a grocery store, you'd hear me hum cause we all need happy at the grocery. LOL

I, too, would be running out to witness the geese. During the summer, I'd sit out back waiting for the flock of white herons to pass over our backyard. They were a beautiful sight against a bright blue sky!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way about leaving for a trip. I get really melancholy and sad, mostly because I know I'll have to leave the dogs... And even if I'm having fun, I still can't wait to get home to my routine.

I think it's so great that you and your husband share a love of geese.

Paula said...

Renna- me again...
My dog Smokey has tagged Lenya to do a post about herself- come by my blog for details!!

Sharon said...

Renna!!!! You found some Morning Glories for your page!!!! How FUN is that????!!!!

Nice....a trip away, and it will be worth all the "eye closing", "breath taking" time on the road, no doubt? eh? ;)

I was away on Monday and didn't participate on this Monday's Simple Woman's Day Book...it's always fun to take a look into your life on these fun days.

Love You Lady!
xoxoxo

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Hi Renna! My morning glories are blooming now too. In fact, they are nicer than they have been when the weather was warmer. It is nice to have a splash of color at this time of year.

Hope your trip is pleasant and that your husband feels better soon.

How interesting about the coffee! You know I keep a bag of beans to grind just for the smell. I rarely brew them! LOl I even keep a little sachet of them in the van. (I know ~ I'm weird!)

Blessings,
Lea

Kimmie said...

Hi Renna;

Thank you for sharing the details of your life....
you are so sweet. I bet you are learning a lot of things, perhaps busyness is just keeping you from seeing what He is teaching you.

xoxox
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

Love these peeks into your life. Hope the tests were o.k.

magnoliasntea said...

Oh my, camping brings back such memories! We had a tent ten two pop-up campers...so much fun for the kids. I just cooked a lot. ;)
Hope your trip will be lots of enjoyment.

Dalyn said...

Thanks for vising me, hope you win! YOu have a beautiful, restful blog! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Renna..
Just wanted to say "Hi"..
You have been on my blog so I decided to stop by:))

Enjoyed your blog..will visit again..yes..we are having some storms now..hopefully the cooler air is coming...

Teresa said...

I loved Fireproof! Even my hubby teared up in that one!

We love to camp, too. We tent camp though (and the occasional cabin).

Thanks for stopping by my new food blog. :o)

Joyfulsister said...

Hey Sis..
Please Come on over when you can I have 2 awards for *U*.

Hugz Lorie

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

I know what steroids can do and it's not enjoyable. Hope all is well with Mr. S.

I enjoyed this post!