Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's Blog Fodder, Baby!

Some time ago, I told Mr.Studley a story I'd heard from my Nanny about a woman who went nuts (Nanny's word for crazy) while going through menopause. The first time he saw me taking pictures of a plate of food, I think he thought the big M really had me by the throat. Trying to explain it was useless as, at that time, he didn't know what a blog even was. He still doesn't, really, but at least he knows my mental status hasn't declined....much.

Hmm....what does it need?

I'd never had Apple Pandowdy before, but it sounded really good. It was good. The problem was that I was craving Apple Crisp, but I made Apple Pandowdy instead. You know what it's like when you're really wanting a particular food like, say, spaghetti, but when you arrive at your favorite Italian restaurant, they're closed. You go somewhere else and eat an equally good meal, but it just doesn't suit you because you're still thinking about that spaghetti.

That's how I was with the Apple Pandowdy. I should've saved it for another day and made the Apple Crisp. My solution? Make both. That's right, I went ahead and made a pan of Apple Crisp, so now we have both. To justify it, I reckoned to myself that I really did need to use up the rest of that markdown bag of Granny Smith apples. Besides, I know my next door neighbors have a sweet tooth.

Ah, yes. Come to Mama!


I want to thank you all for the comments on my blog's facelift. I would like to point out that the package of graphics Marilyn purchased from Karla's Korner Shoppe to design my blog came with a LOT more graphics than what we used. Hence, Marilyn could have added a lot more design qualities to my blog's face. As she pointed out in a comment, I stressed I was a 'minimalist'. I did design the blog to my specifications, and she did it exactly as I requested. So, yeah, Marilyn, I guess I did "design" it (using Karla's graphics, of course!), but we both know I could design 'til the cows come home, and my blog would still have it's old face, as I don't know the first thing about the actual hands-on 'doing' of it. I just know I'm pleased, and for that, I thank you, Marilyn (and Karla!).

Posted by Picasa
He who covers and forgives an offense seeks love, but he who repeats or harps on a matter separates even close friends.
~Proverbs 17:9 Amplified Bible

23 comments:

Joansie said...

Looks mighty delicious. Your kitchen must have smelled absolutely devine!

Shannon said...

My hubby was making fun of me for 'posing my food' to take pictures of it just the other day. Too bad ;)
The recipes look fabulous! I can't wait to try them.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about cravings, they are so specific!

I LOVE apple crisp---really anything crisp. The topping is so very yummy I could eat it all by itself. All by myself! YUM!

Tracy Batchelder said...

You are making me so hungry for apple crisp and pandowdy (even though I've never had pandowdy)! I knew I should have bought some apples at the store today.

Love the fresh new look of your blog!

Nancy said...

Ooooh, may I come over for a bite of both and a cup of tea? They look really, yummy.

I like apple crisp, but rhubarb crisp is my favorite, so maybe I'll use some of the rhubarb in the freezer and make one.

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy!!!

Sarah said...

Your apple crisp looks delicious! I really like your blog's new look - I think I might check out those graphics...
~Sarah

Kelly said...

Is that the Apple Crisp recipe that you got from my page? If so, how did you like it? I love the new look by the way.

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Yum, yum, yum!

Don't make excuses for the minimalist-look! It's very pretty and fits your blog. I was joking about you taking away some of my fun. :P

Isle Dance said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Everything. Your blog. Your food. Your photos. I am AMAZED. Enthralled. I adore it. Way to go! :o)

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I'm slobbering something terrible ~ LOL!

Smiles,
Lea

Renna said...

Thank you all so much for the sweet comments!

Nancy, I wish I could have you over for apple crisp. How 'bout you bring the snow! ;-)

Kelly, I do plan on making the crisp recipe you shared on your blog. I'm gathering crisp recipes all over the internet. This one is from the Plucky Knitter's blog.

Marilyn, I knew you were just yanking my chain. ;-Þ

Lea, go wipe your mouth now, hon. ;-)

Jennifer said...

If sharing such yumminess with all of us is crazy, well, then, bring it on! It looks yummy.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Your blog is looking great!
So is the food! Can your please send some my way. You know what happened the last time you featured food? Yup, I had to go and purchase an ice cream maker.
I see apple crisp in my future!

My Open Nest said...

Renna, I couldn't believe my eyes when I checked out this post. We must be sisters cuz my post from today has a very similar looking tea towel as a background.

So, your readers need to know which you liked better; the pandowdy or the crisp? My vote is for the crisp. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!! We've been eating lost of apple dishes this fall too.

Dana said...

You're so funny!

Renna said...

Hmm...I have to say I preferred the Apple Crisp, but that may simply be because Apple Crisp is what I had a hankering for, you know?

I had never before had Apple Pandowdy, so I didn't really know what it was, but the 'cake' part is sort of 'cornbready' (like my new word?). It's slightly sweet, which Mr.Studley, who's not much of a sweet eater, thought was great; so really, it's all a matter of personal taste.

Barbara (cinnamongirl), am I a bad influence? ;-Þ

Sarah, thank you so much for visiting. I've read your profile before and am so impressed to see a godly young girl with so many talents who is vocal about her faith.

MSM said...

The blog looks wonderful - very sweet and very "Renna"!

The food pics make me want to eat, of course; our temps FINALLY dropped enough to actually resemble fall, and some coffee and apple crisp would make me so happy. Too bad we can't send food over the internet!!

Claudia said...

Apple crisp and Apple Bread Pudding are my favorite desserts, but that apple pandowdy sure looks tasty, too!!!!! Good thing I made my spaghetti today (I'm in a HUGE comfort food mood today) or else I'd have to push through my monitor and take some bites. :)

YuMMMMMMMMMY!

Renna said...

Jen (msm), I just wish I could have every one of you over for dessert and coffee!

Claudia, I wonder why it is that the fall season seems to make us crave comfort food? We had spaghetti this week, too1 ;-)

Debra said...

Hi Renna!
Your new look is wonderful-I love those colors. Wow, does that apple stuff look good. I made some this week, but it didn't look that good.
Love, Debra

Netter said...

Oh, how I wish I was at your house the day you made those yummy dishes. I bet your house smelled wonderful!

My Dad keeps running into people who have apple trees and are giving away bags of apples, hand over fist, because they are to the point of being sick of fresh apples. Mom said it was nice at first...but after a while, its a bit much, plus it doesn't help keep the pants size down. Not to mention that they have a pear tree in their backyard that is PACKED and just starting to get ripe. She's going to be an even busier woman than usual. It seems that the neighbors and our relatives are all enjoying the fruits of her labor. Just the other day, My cousin said he stopped by to visit my parents while he was in town and he said, little did he know that he had picked such a great time to do so. He was barley in the door before my Mom offered him a slice of freshly baked apple pie with homemade vanilla ice cream on the side.