Thursday, October 23, 2008

From the Kitchen


Banana Smoothie

  • 1 sliced frozen banana

  • 1/2 cup skim milk

  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt

  • 1 TBSP honey

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 1 cup crushed ice, or ice cubes

Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth & creamy.

Pop in a straw and slurp away. It's good for what ails you!



And now for a bit of comfort food....
Chicken & Dumplings

  • stewed chicken, parts & amounts of your choice

  • low sodium chicken broth, plus broth created from stewing your chicken

  • 1 tsp (or so) poultry seasoning

  • 1 large can cream of chicken soup (optional-I used it with a can of water to make my broth go farther)

  • Bisquick mix

  • milk

Stew the chicken, then remove from the broth and strain out any icky pieces of fat and such left behind in the broth.

Set the chicken aside to cool, remove the meat from the bone, chunk or shred the meat.

Return the meat to the broth, also adding the storebought broth, and poultry seasoning.

If you wish to add the cream soup and soup can of water, do it now. They will taste just as good without it. I just happened to have it on hand and needed more broth.

While broth is coming to a full boil, mix dumplings according to package (2 cups mix, 2/3 cup milk).

If you wish your dumplings to be chewy, hand mix the dough and let it set awhile.

If you wish your dumplings to be light and fluffy, mix lightly with a fork, just until mixed, and put in boiling broth right away.

Make SURE your broth is at a full boil when you add the spoonfuls of dumpling mix to the pan.

Gently drop the dumplings onto the top of the broth.

Keep the heat high and let them boil for ten minutes, then lower the heat, cover the pan, and let them cook an additional ten minutes.

I have made my dumplings the long way, from scratch. These are a fraction of the work, and I like them every bit as much.

It's comfort food at it's finest!

If the Lord delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land flowing with milk and honey.

~Numbers 14:8 Amplified Bible




26 comments:

cinnamongirl93 said...

Yumm! I can smell the pot of chicken and dumplings all the way at my place! Too bad I'm out of banana's, the smoothie recipe sounds good too!

Joansie said...

Ok, I'll be right over to taste test. Yummy!!!!!!!!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Looks delicious! Chicken & Dumplings is the ultimate comfort food.

Karen said...

Oh, Yum! I haven't had chicken & dumplings in ages. What a perfect fall supper.

Nancy said...

Oh, may I come over to help you enjoy all of this comfort food?

I can't even remember the last time I had chicken and dumplings.

MSM said...

It is the perfect time for chicken and dumplings!

I think I'll have to get Mary to make us some in the next couple of days : )

Wish I had that banana smoothie RIGHT NOW.....

Liz Harrell said...

That smoothie sounds GREAT!!! Have to try that.

Paula said...

The smoothie looks good... but the Dumplins?
COME TO MAMA!!!

(Ahem... I am bringing the INDUSTRIAL size spoon this time.)

Renna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynneb said...

Oh, good gracious. The chicken and dumplings looks soooooo yummy. I've never made it!

Claudia said...

oh how I need that smoothie right now. yum!!!!! Hubz would LOVE that chicken recipe. I'm going to have to buy everything and just do it.

Thanks for sharing! *hugs*

Renna said...

You're all invited to come share a big o' bowl (as we say here in Texas) of dumplings, and we'll have smoothies for dessert; and Farm Chick, bring your big ol' spoon with you!

Wouldn't it be neat if we could just beam ourselves to each other's houses to share meals, coffee, and such? :-D

Isle Dance said...

I remember when I used to eat all this food. I think I can smell it. LOL. I LOVE the glass mug. :o)

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna!

Yummy!! I love chicken and dumplings, and the banana smoothie sounds delicious! Thank you so much for sharing! :o) You and your family have a beautiful weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly

magnoliasntea said...

I love chicken and dumplin's! I had them just yesterday at an apple orchard restaurant.We visit there several times in the fall every year.

Oh, that smoothie looks delicious. :)

Anonymous said...

I love love chicken and dumplings! I know the girls would love your smoothie-I'm going to remember it!

elizabeth said...

Oh and this is the perfect time of year for chicken and dumplings!

I had a friend tell me how to make homemade dumplings once and they were so awful that Keith and I put them down the disposal and went to Taco Bell for dinner instead - LOL!

Paula said...

Ha- I just read what you wrote about "beaming" ourselves over to each other house... That is a sweet idea, Renna!
Only problem is, it would take a pretty big beam to get me there, but after dumplins it would take an even BIGGER one to get me back home.

smariek said...

I shouldn't come here right before lunchtime. Mouth watering.

Debra said...

Yum. My grandma made chicken and dumplings all the time. I've got the kettle she cooked it in. But hers tasted better than mine. I've got to make that smoothie-I'm going to use fresh red raspberries right off the canes. We got a second crop since the frost was so late.
Love, Debra

Tins and Treasures said...

I would like that too...if we could stope over at each other's houses for coffee and treats.
You Chicken & Dumplings looks so good. We did have Chicken & Dumpling Soup this week!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I haven't had chicken and dumplings in years! I need comfort food to compensate for this poison ivy. Today at the store while I bought calamine lotion, I also bought a package of Hersheys mini-candies with almonds. Today...I...don't...care...
about...calories! Wow, chicken and dumplings...
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I haven't made chicken and dumplings in ages . . . and it's something I used to make regularly. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I haven't made chicken and dumplings in ages . . . and it's something I used to make regularly. Thanks for the reminder!

Free Art Printables said...

THAT looks amazing.. can you hear me drool!?

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

The smoothie would be soothing for my throat. I love dumplings, but The Farmer Guy just tolerates them. Something's wrong with him. LOL!