Monday, October 27, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook



For today...

Outside my Window... I'm still seeing a lot of green, though there are some leaves collecting on the ground beneath the huge oak tree. A squirrel is racing across the top of our wooden privacy fence. Leyna is watching from the futon in the sunroom, irked and perplexed as to why I won't let her out there.


I am thinking... we leave for our camping trip in one week, and I have much to get done. Lists, shopping, more lists, packing, and more lists to be made. As many times as we've done this, camping in our 5th wheel, we still inevitably forget something.


From the learning rooms... let's just say, someone somewhere is learning something...it's just not here!


I am thankful for.... the beautiful weather we've been having. It's such a pleasure to be outdoors. We spent all of Saturday outdoors at our town's annual Pumpkin Festival, and the weather could not have been more perfect than it was.


From the kitchen... leftovers from a delicious cranberried pork roast I cooked in the crockpot on Saturday. I'm shredding the remains for sandwhiches. I got the recipe from Karen, at Over the Back Yard Fence. She mentioned it in a previous Simple Woman's Daybook post, and shared the recipe with me in an e-mail when I expressed an interest. Thanks, Karen! :-)


I am wearing... a t-shirt and capris, my 'uniform' until the weather turns cold.


I am reading... I'm in a slump. I need new books. I hate borrowing from the library. I'm such a procrastinator, and the library is on the opposite side of town from me. I always end up taking books back late. I am not allowing myself to check out anything else until I can improve this area of my character.


I am hoping... I hesitate to say, as it may sound selfish. I'm hoping our ladies group meeting at church tonight goes the way I want it to. Hmm...seeing that in print, it does sound selfish.

We each bring food to share, from a fast food joint, or from our kitchens. The plan is to then eat and fellowship for a half hour before getting to our meeting which ends with prayer....but it seems our food and fellowship time inevitably drags out until some have to leave before we get to a meeting or prayer. I want us to have the fellowship time, I do know it's important, but yet I would like a balance of fellowship, meeting, and prayer. I need to spend time in prayer about this. both that the Holy Spirit will lead our meeting, and that I will be submissive in my heart to His leading.


I am creating... I haven't picked up my needles in a week. I need to get back to my Christmas knitting!


I am hearing... a call to prayer and intercession.


Around the house... are too many dustbunnies, which breed faster than real bunnies!


One of my favorite things...is the phone calls from my daughter. At twenty-four, she's finally going to college, yea! Her first class begins in a couple of weeks. She'll be going all day Saturday and Sunday for about a month. That's after working all day Monday through Friday. I hope pray she is able to stay healthy and strong, as she tends to get sick when she burns the candle at both ends. She's really excited about the course. She's also scouring the internet to determine a plan of action for online courses toward a child development degree. She found she cannot get the necessary classes for it through the campus on base. The classes she'll be taking there will be toward a business and management degree. She already has a bad cold, something the other daycare workers informed her comes standard with the job. I'm praying over her!


A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... After I finish making my shopping lists, I need to go to Big Lots this week. We get a lot of our non-perishable foods there much cheaper than at the grocery store. I also need to pick up supplies at the Dollar General, as well as at the grocery store. I need to check the weather forecast for the area of Arkansas where we'll be camping to determine the type clothing to pack in the trailer. Mr.Studley does all his own packing.

I've not yet made it to the vet with Leyna to get her nails trimmed, so that's on the agenda. We'd do it ourselves, but she turns into a little piranha whenever we try. It is not a pleasant experience! I've been wondering if that Peticure product advertised on tv is any good. It works like a Dremmel tool to file down the pet's nails. Mabye a Dremmel tool is what I should consider?


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you... This cute little tyke was turned and watching Leyna, our Min Pin who we took to the Pumpkin Festival with us. I thought the child looked so cute that I grabbed my camera. When his mom saw me focusing for a picture, she had him (her?) turn toward me. When he saw me, or more specifically my camera, he broke into that huge smile and waved. He's obviously not at all camera shy! Isn't he a cutie?




~Visit The Simple Woman's blog to see how you can participate in the weekly Daybook on your own blog. Click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar for instructions.



For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.
~Hebrews 4:12 Amplified Bible

19 comments:

Joansie said...

You have a very busy schedule. That is great.

I agree with you regarding the fellowship. That is very important.

Kudos to your daughter for working and going to school. My daughter did it for eight years to get her R.N.

Camping trip will be so much fun!

Schotzy said...

Oh, boy, your camping trip sounds great! I love camping but Lynn is not an outdoorsy kind of guy. He is great in the yard, but that's it. Of course, I do enjoy the b&b scene so we pair up well in that regard!HAHA! Lots of green here too. The leaves jsut seem to be dying and falling off the trees. Some color, but not much. Today's cold temps though will make a difference I bet. I really enjoy your comments! And I was thiking- now you need to get yourself to Barnes and Noble and get a good book to take on your vacation. kathleen Givens writes wonderful tales, as does Lynn Kurland, and I love, love, love Liz Curtis Higgs! Just a thought! Blessings! Carolyn

Nancy said...

Have you thought about preparing a brief devotion for your group or reading one from a devotional book? If you are persistent, perhaps, the tone of the meeting will change, and the ladies will even look forward to the devotional time.

Renna said...

Thank you, laides, for your comments! I am starting to look forward to the camping trip.

We have no B&N in our small town, but I'm sure I can rustle up a good book from somewhere; plus, I'll take along my knitting. ;-)

Nancy, I really should clarify, I'm not the coordinator or hostess of the meetings, which are led by our pastor's wife; but I do have desires for their outcome, though. It's just that I've been involved in ladies meetings before where there was no real structure, and they fizzled out after a time, and I'm hoping that doesn't happen. It bothers me to see some have to leave before we get down to the meat of things. :-(

Claudia said...

I'm going to have to start doing this in my own blog because I LOVE reading yours!!!! You're so honest and human about everything. You ARE learning something. You're learning about yourself. That part never ends...trust me...I know.

*hugs*

MSM said...

Seeing that you'd updated with this meme post reminded me that I intended to do one of these....

Of course, I read yours first and decided, no, nevermind.....

I just love the way you express yourself and the details you include; and what an adorable picture to share!

That child's happy face makes me happy : )

Renna said...

Thank you, Claudia, that's so sweet! :-)

Yes, please do consider joining the meme, yourself.

Renna said...

Jen (MSM), I'd love to read a Simple Woman's Daybook written by you! :-)

Karen said...

I'm so glad the cranberry pork roast turned out well for you. And I know what you mean about forgetting SOMEthing when you're camping. It seems we always need a dry run or two at the beginning of each season before we have the camper packed properly.

Our prayer group has a tendency to get way off track, too. The fellowship is so important, but there needs to be a balance. We've decided to take turns running our "meetings", so we'll share the responsibility for staying on track.

Anonymous said...

Renna, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with you here this afternoon. I feel like I've sat at your kitchen table and had some of that sandwich you're making for tonight. It made me hungry!

Renna said...

Karen, I think that's a great idea, taking turns in leading the meetings. I may suggest that to our pastor's wife.

Melony, I've made someone hungry. My work here is done. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. I will pray for your women's ministry. It seems to be difficult to achieve the correct balance sometimes.

Have a blessed day!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Congrats to your daughter!!! That is a great thing(-: My daughter is trying to finish her AA at college while working full time!! It is hard to do. I hope your daughter stays healthy!!!
Have a great tuesday!!!(-:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Your upcoming trip sounds so nice. Will you bring along your knitting?

Hope your meeting goes as you had hoped. Its not selfish to desire a balance. We do need fellowship but we also need our spirits fed. You're right .... pray, pray, pray!

Blessings,
Lea

Tracy Batchelder said...

Pack some warm clothes. I bet it will be cold.

The little boy is adorable. What a smile!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see things are going well in your world!

Debra said...

Hi Renna!
Your trip will be a welcome break, I'm sure. I hope you have time for knitting, and maybe you'll find just the right book. I prayed for your daughter.
Love, Debra

smariek said...

What a great pic. I am looking forward to seeing the neighborhood kids in their costumes. Unfortunately rain is on the forecast for Friday, so we'll see how it goes.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Cute picture of the little boy.
Love this post. I always enjoy reading your Monday's simple woman post.