Monday, March 24, 2008

Forgotten Hats & Felting

Simple worsted beanie in Red Heart Camo-I think!

I am the world's worst about forgetting to record what pattern I'm using or the size needles or yarn used. That's one of the reasons I began a blog. I figured I'd post pics of current projects as I'm working on them, along with the specs, then I'd have those posts to refer back to when I forgot what materials were used.
I don't recall what pattern I used for the above hats, nor am I even sure of the yarn used for the first one. I don't ordinarily buy Red Heart yarn, as it feels too scratchy to me, but I think I picked up a skein of it in camo on impulse while in Wal-Mart one day.
I love using Wool-Ease for hats. It comes in a variety of colors, is washable, is inexpensive, and is really soft!
UPDATE!
I ran across the info for the brown hat today.

Needles: Size 6 16" circular

Cast on 80 stitches.
I knit the two above caps for my grandsons for Christmas. That would be last Christmas. I found them in a cupboard today. Sigh. It isn't the first time I've put back a Christmas gift then forgotten to gift it when the holiday rolled around. My daughter still likes to remind me of the year she received a leather jacket for Christmas, two weeks AFTER Christmas, when I found it in the back of a closet. Maybe I should start myself a Christmas blog. It might help me to remember where everything is stashed!

Pre-felted eyeglass case out of Cascade 220
I knit this eyeglass case using Cascade 220. I don't recall the needle size I used. I sincerely have my doubts that it's going to be big enough once felted. I'm going to go ahead and felt it. If it's too small, at leat not much yarn was invested in the project. I'll give the specs for my own benefit to compare with the after felting stage.
*width- 7 1/4"
*height not including the flap- 3 1/4"
*height including the flap- 6 1/2"

I'll post another picture once the felting is done. I want to wait until I finish a (bigger) Booga Bag I'm working on, so I can felt them at the same time.
If the eyeglass case is larger enough, it will be a gift for my mom. She's a 'pink' kind of girl. I'm not.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times I've put something away to keep it safe and then have forgotten about it! I completely sympathize.

Anonymous said...

I love the pink stuff. ;-) The only needlework I do is cross stitch. You are inspiring me to get started on a project. I haven't for quite some time. My mom would love a handmade gift from me.

Tracy Batchelder said...

You should be able to felt the eyeglass case to the right size if you check on it often during the process. Even if it's only slightly felted, it should work well for glasses.

There's always next Christmas for giving the hats. Maybe you could store them wherever you keep the Christmas wrapping paper--that way you won't forget.

Sharon said...

What FUN Girl!!!
Love it all! Your Mom will too. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oooh, like your hats... I am all into hats lately :)

You have grandsons too..?

Kimmie said...

Wow, Renna! You certainly are a busy girl. The hats look great-and I am sure your mum will love her new glass case, especially if she is a pink girl.

;-)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

Love the eye glass case. I'm going to share that idea with my mom.So thanks!

Love the hat too. My mom loves to make hats for my girls.And she will give them to me and say "this is for next Easter" so she doesn't misplace them. And then by Easter she makes another one because she can't remember giving me the first ones!