Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Walter, the One Legged Robin...and more Dishcloths

Or as Elmer Fudd would say, Walter, the One Wegged Wobbin.
Mr.Studley noticed Walter outside our window a few weeks ago. He called me to come look at the one legged bird in our yard. The poor thing was hopping along rather clumsily. Each time he leaned forward to peck at the ground, he'd stumble. Hubby being the tenderhearted soul he is spoke a prayer out loud that God would watch over this little bird, just as His Word says He sees the sparrow. I was very moved by his prayer and agreed with an amen.

A few days later, our next door neighbors asked if we'd seen the one legged Robin. They'd noticed it on their back fence a few times. Since then, not a day has gone by that we haven't seen Walter fumbling around in the yard. I can always tell it's him by how he gets around, even before I see his legs...er..leg. He spends long periods of time perched in the neighbor's magnolia tree. I know he doesn't spend as much time foraging for food as other birds do, and truthfully, he looks a little thin to me, but I trust God is making the necessary provisions for Walter.
I dubbed him Walter because my dad, a stepdad in legal terms, but a dad in every sense of the word, was named Walter. He also had one leg. He lost a leg in an industrial on-the-job accident in his early 20's. If he was ever bitter over the accident, he never showed it. He never once displayed a 'poor me' attitude. In fact, most people were shocked to learn that he had an artificial leg. His gait didn't reveal it, at least not until he was in his 70's and began slowing down due to illness.
Though he'd never water skiied a day in his life, he taught all us kids to water ski. He also taught us all to drive, and the grandkids as well. He continued to work for that same company for nearly 40 years, moving his way up the ranks of administrative positions despite the lack of a college degree, and retired from a respectable position after nearly 40 years with them.
Walter (dad, not the bird) was known by just about everyone who knew him as someone who could do, or fix, just about anything. I remember when my son was small and his daddy and I were having trouble making something work. His suggestion was to take it to Pappa, "Pappa can do anything". He darn near could, too. So, each time I see Walter perservering in the yard, I am reminded of the perserverance of my dad, Walter, and how gumption and a "can do" attitude can take you far, despite the handicaps life may throw your way.
Now, on a less serious note, I'm still knitting dishcloths. After seeing the pretty Chinese Waves dishcloth at kaity knits...a lot this week, I was inspired to knit the pattern myself. I really liked Kaity's pretty striped one, but I didn't have the necessary colors to duplicate it. I think a few varying solid colored ones folded and stacked together and tied with a raffia bow will make a nice little gift.
  • Chinese Waves Dishcloth pattern
  • Lily Sugar'n'Cream yarn
  • Denise's size 6 interchangeable circular
  • Cast on 39 sts.

***Update on Rich. Mandi sent me an e-mail this afternoon that she had a call in to the doctor. Rich's blood pressure has not been below 170/100 since he came home from the hospital. She's concerned that they may want to admit him again.
If you don't mind continuing to pray for him, please pray that his bp will come down to an acceptable level and stay there. Thank you so much! Seriously, it means the world to me (and Mandi & Rich!) that you guys are praying for Rich.
So get rid of all uncleanness and the rampant outgrowth of wickedness, and in a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls.
~James 1:21 Amplified Bible

28 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I wonder what happened to his other leg? You will have to make sure he gets plenty to eat. :o)

Now, what's your asking price for the dish cloths??

Kelly said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am still praying. I also wanted to ask you... how do you like your Denise interchangables?

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I hope Rich is o.k. I will keep him in my prayers.
The one legged robin is so sweet. They do manage to get along somehow with less then normal. Maybe you could throw him out something to eat..(-:

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Walter is very cute. I think naming him after your dad is very neat.

I know how much you love your step-dad and how good he was to you.

Praying for Rich's bp!

Eve said...

They will both be in my prayers.

Ah, that is the sweetest bird. Maybe he is hanging around because he is afraid to leave. I wonder how he lost his little leg.

Joyfulsister said...

Aww Walter,
What a wonderful story. I would be looking out for him as well *smile*, But what a reminder to us all of how the Lord looks after walter as well as us.
Thanks for sharing the story of both walter's with us.. Your dish cloths are so nice I love that color..

Tracy Batchelder said...

Another great dishcloth pattern to try! Walter (your dad) sounds an amazing person.

Jennifer said...

Go Walter!

I love the Chinese Waves. I made oodles of Chinese Waves discloths, placemats and more in 2002. Such a fun pattern.

Unknown said...

Walter does look a little thin to me too. This time of year he should be eating his fill.

I loved the way you named him after your dad. What a neat man he was, and a great story.

That is a pretty dishcloth. I'll have to copy this pattern. I am finishing up a baby blanket right now that I just love. And easy pattern that looks so pretty.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Both Walters sound pretty amazing!

I'll keep praying too!

cinnamongirl93 said...

I enjoyed your inspirational story about your Dad. He sounds like he was a great man!
I have never seen a one legged bird. Interesting. I do have a three legged dog. Luke, one of our Jack Russell Terriers lost his leg when he was hit by a car. BTW, I was the one who hit him. Not a good day. He gets around just fine. You almost don't notice that one of his back legs are missing.

Liz Harrell said...

What a precious little thing. This was a very moving post, I enjoyed hearing all about both Walters. :)

That green yarn is gorgeous.

Free Art Printables said...

Hi Renna, I've given you an award if you want to stop over and get it! :) Jen R

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Such a sweet tribute to your Dad. I hope Walter the bird does well. Your husband sounds like a soft hearted sweetie.

Just love, love, love your washclothes!

Blessings,
Lea

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet! Walter is the perfect name.

Debra said...

Thank you Renna for your answer about photos on my blog. I LOVED your robin story, as they are my favorite wild bird. I raised one 3 years ago, under the directions of a wildlife rehab person. That robin got so tame, he did not want to leave my shoulder, or my hat! I called the rehab in desperation, and she said, just wait, he'll take off. It was a sweet sad day when he did(we named him Boo Radley). But we saw him for sure two succeeding years, and who knows, he may be the sweet singer in my cherry tree. Love, Debra

Claudia said...

First off, I am praying for Rich. I hope everything is okay.

Now, on to Walter. :) I love birds. I watch birds in our back yard all the time (as does Little Miss Ruby Kitty from the windows in the house). My heart goes out to this little guy and I'm praying to St. Francis to watch over him. I love the pics!

Love the dishcloth, too. I thought I'd made that one, but I don't recognize the pattern, so I'll have to try one. Maybe even make a kitchen towel out of that pattern. It's really pretty! LOVE the color you chose, too! :)

*hugs*

Sharon said...

Oh Renna, what an endearing story. Is Walter able to reach your feeder, or do you put seed out this time of year. I also think it most interesting that he's drawn to your yard on a regular basis...no doubt because of the prayer offered for it, and Walter doesn't even know. :)

I'm still enjoying watching you make your dishcloths.

vikki said...

how sweet and precious your story is! love the wonderful way you used the name walter! my thoughts and prayers are with you. great dishcloths! thank*u for your comment on the verbena. i have bought the one that is to come back every year - homestead, but it never seems to come back. this was just some slips i gave to my mom, & got some back & they are gorgeous every year... praise to Him for such beauty! hugs and blessings, vikki ♥

Juri said...

I love your dish cloths! The story about Walter, the Robin, is amazing! The story about Walter, your Dad, is also amazing!! If I get down about things going on, I will certainly remember both Walters!

Juri

Carol said...

Bless little Walter.

Shannon said...

Walter is a great name for the little guy. He is so cute! Reminds me of when my Dad adopted an owl with a broken leg. He fashioned a little cast by using a small dowell and gauze. The owl limped around for weeks before he felt well enough to take off...
Thanks for the knitting links. I have a business trip coming up soon and hope to try try again :)

Unknown said...

Renna,
Hi. Thanks for stopping by! I only wish we had robins down here in SA...We see them in the winter...strange switch from NY when they leave in the fall and we know spring has come by their return. Very confusing to this former NYer...
Our daughter donated part of her liver to her mother in law almost two years ago...it was a leap of faith for her and me, as well! But God is faithful and He kept them both. Will pray for Rich.
Have a great weekend.
(Hey, wonder if those same washclothes could be crocheted? I can't remember how to knit very well!)
daune

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

This was just amazing!!!!! Sounds like Walter is blessing so many hearts (both Walters!),. And your hubby has such a tender heart, for sure. I was so blessed by reading this today! It really meant a lot! And thanks for visiting me so often! I so much appreciate all your prayers and words of encouragement! You don't know how much I need it! Cora

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

We had a little one legged Finch. It showed up for a few weeks.

Hope you are able to put out some food for Walter. What good pictures of him!! I pray that God will watch over him, too.

Paula said...

Awww... what a sweet little birdie... and very well told by you, dear.
Hope you are well... I've missed catching up with you!

Laurie said...

I was touched by your Walter stories. Thanks for sharing.

I also wondered if Elmer Fudd wouldn't have said... "Walter the one Wegged Wobin". :) (coming from someone called Waurie for many years by younger siblings).