Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Recipe Box Swap~Cucumbers in Sour Cream

Time is whizzing on by. It seems like just last week was The Recipe Box Swap. If you've been reading my blog awhile, you know the drill. If you are new to my blog, here's the scoop. On the first Thursday of every month, Randi, at i have to say..., hosts The Recipe Box Swap on her blog. She puts up a Mr.Linky which everyone participating can sign, adding their own blog to the list. It's a great way to share recipes, and to see new blogs!

The theme this month is bbq'ing. We're sharing recipes of something served at a bbq.

As a young newlywed, I purchased a small spiral bound cookbook titled Miriam B. Loo's Family Favorites Cookbook. I have been preparing dishes from this book for thirty years. The cover, as well as the pages, is indicative of what a messy cook I am.

I was working at Frito Lay in Dallas at the time, in their accounts payables department. I tell you, women in offices are easy targets when you have something to sell. Someone was always bringing in some colorful brochure of goodies their kid was selling for school or Scouts. As I recall, that's how I came to purchase my little Miriam B. Loo book. It has served me well over the years. I hope you try the recipe I'm sharing!

_________________________

Cucumbers In Sour Cream

  • 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

  • 3/4 tsp salt

  • 1/2 cup sour cream

  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice

  • 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped onion

  • 1/4 tsp sugar

  • 1/8 tsp white pepper (black will do as well)

  • Minced parsley

Toss cucumbers with salt; cover and refrigerate until well chilled.

Combine sour cream, lemon juice, onion, sugar and pepper; blend well.

Reserve 1/4 cup of mixture for garnish.

Combine cucumbers with remaining sour cream mixture.

Refrigerate until well chilled or about 2 hours.

To serve: Arrage cucumber slices on bed of salad greens; top with small mound of reserved sour cream mixture and sprinkle with minced parsley.

Serves 4


The internet is a great source for finding new recipes, but there's something special about a well worn cookbook, passed down through the family. I'll likely pass this one down to my daughter someday. I can hear her now,

"Ooh, Mom. It's got gross stuff stuck on the cover! ".

***

The righteous man walks in his integrity; blessed (happy, fortunate, enviable) are his children after him.

~Proverbs 20:7 Amplified Bible

20 comments:

Paula said...

Mmmmm that sounds delish.
I love those cookbooks, too... do you remember when the church cookbooks were all the rage? Well, my momma and my grandmother bought every one they found in East Tennessee and beyond. I now have them and they have the most wonderful old fashioned recipes in them!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Yummy!

Nancy said...

My mother used to make something similar to this, but when sour cream was not available, she made it with Miracle Whip. It was still yummy.

I loved eating the sliced cucumbers that were soaking in the salt-water.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I will have to make Mom's Creamed Cucumbers this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted a good cucumber salad recipe like this one. Thank you! I'm going to try it soon (maybe the 4th?)
Antoinette
(I love cookbooks like that, too)

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Yum! I'll have to try that one when the cukes are ready in a couple of weeks.

Debra said...

Renna, This recipe comes at a great time, as I just happen to have the cukes and the sour cream. I'll make it for the 4th. It looks like our friendly groundhogs are eyeing my cukes in the garden, so I might have to keep buying them. Have a great holiday! Debra

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Yummy!!! I love cucumbers!!! I am not sure how mine are doing. I had a grasshopper problem so they were slow to get started. I am hoping soon we will be chowing down on cucumbers!!!!
My first cook book was Betty Crocker paperback addition. It is now 26 years old and is falling apart. I can still find my favorite recipes from memory...My favorite is the yeast rolls. Everyone looks forward to my dinners with my "famous" rolls...I tell them its just the Betty Crocker recipe and the say yeah right. lol It really is...(-: Do you like cucumbers in vinegar? My mom always did that. Sometimes I do too just serve them floating in a bowl of vinegar with onions and whatever else sounds good..lol It is the only way I really like vinegar.

Amber M. said...

This sounds so yummy...prefectly cool for the hot summer months.

I'm a messy cook, too.:-)

Anonymous said...

This looks really yummy and simple Renna. Last year I had so many cukes I couldn't eat them all (in my garden), this year they didn't even come up :( I used organic seeds, I think that is why, but why?? Anyway, I love them and this looks so delicious!!

Free Art Printables said...

That sounds yummy. I laughed when I saw your recipe book, because I actually collect those self-published books and most people throw them out, but they have the best recipies! Jen R

Claudia said...

Yum! Recipe sounds great and I completely agree about those little old recipe books. They can sometimes be the best. :)

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

This sounds so good, and I can't wait to try it. Thank you!!!!! I always made mine with rings of onions. And my sour cream was mixed with vinegar and sugar, salt and pepper. . . . and a little bit of dill! Another great way to fix it!

Thanks for visiting my blog so often with your sweet reminders of your prayers and concern! I can't tell you how much it means to me!!!! Cora

Anonymous said...

I know the Deer Hunter would love this one! I'll be making it for sure. I love old cookbooks too-I think you can tell how good they are-by how worn and splattered they are!

Jennifer said...

Sounds heavenly. Cucumber salads are definitely a sign of summer.

Jamie said...

Sounds yummy...a perfect summer dish! I have a few messy cookbooks too.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Wow ~ that sounds great! Can't wait to give it a try!

Smiles,
Lea

Firefly Nights said...

Love cucumbers. This sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it.

Becky said...

My grandma makes cucumbers similar to this recipe. She just dumps the ingredients, thanks for the written amounts.

Firefly Nights said...

This is a great summer recipe. I have the cucumbers, now I just need to run out and get the sour cream.

Firefly Nights said...

Whoops, I'd forgotten that this was where I'd seen the great cucumber recipe last month. Your recipe is why we made sure we had cucumbers in the first place, but we forgot the sour cream.