Thursday, May 8, 2008

Socks Done!

I feel really good about this pair of socks, primarily because it is my first completed pair of adult socks.


They fit well until after I blocked them. Now they feel a bit loose. My sock blockers aren't the greatest. I saw a tutorial for making your own sock blockers out of a plastic placemat. Being eternally frugal, I figured that was just the ticket for me. I may be frugal, but I'm also impatient. I took a few shortcuts, as in I didn't really follow the steps at all. I just used the 'idea'. I grabbed a pencil, lay one of my completed socks on the placemat, then drew a line around it and cut. One ended up larger than the other. I guess that's okay, though, as one of my feet is a half size larger than the other.

Honestly, I'm not sure I even see the point of sock blockers other than that the socks photograph nicer when on blockers than just lying on a table; and taking a picture of your own feet at a flattering angle isn't a skill I seem to possess. The placemat was only seventy-nine cents at Big Lots, so I may buy another one and try again, just for the sake of pictures.

I also found another 'make your own sock blockers' tutorial using a plastic coated wire coat hanger. I was going to try it but I didn't have any plastic coated wire coat hangers in the house.


No... wire... hangers!




What's this? No gusset hole? That's right, folks, no gusset hole this time. Actually there was a small one on one side of one sock, and a barely persceptible one on the other side of it. This sock has no sign of holes. I guess I just need to practice, since I did everything the same way on both socks.


Posted by Picasa
I went to my weekly knit night tonight. We seriously need to come up with a name for our group (MICHELLE, hint hint). I started to tell my tornado story (#5 on my meme), when Michelle informed me she'd already heard it, yep, read it on my blog. Now I'm wondering how smart it was to have informed my group I have a blog. Seriously, my life is not exactly a wild ride. If my friends-with-skin read of the little excitement there is in my life, what's left for me to talk about in person? I do good to come up with a little somethin' to blog about on occasion. It's asking too much to come up with knit night conversation fodder as well. I've simply got to get out more.

(kudos to those who got the Joan Crawford reference)

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another.

~Romans 12:10 NKJV

12 comments:

Sharon said...

REALLY nice socks! So after you block the socks, could you not hand wash them in the temperature of water that might shrink them a bit? Or is that a stupid question?
You are funny about your blog and skin friends where you live. You are a thoughtful and humorous person, I cannot imagine that you would be dull at all Love. xoxoxo

Paula said...

Those are beautiful, Renna! I want to knit... *snifff*... (lip sticking out)
You do such pretty work, I love those colors, too.

Tracy Batchelder said...

They turned out great! I have a pair in that same yarn and love the colors. Blocking socks is not really necessary, though it does help them look nicer for photos.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I got hte Joan Crawford reference. That movie scared me!!!

I adore your socks!! Such pretty summery colors!

As for blocking...Maybe you could buy some of those mannequin legs like they have at department stores! *ducking and running*

Noodle said...

LOVE the socks! LOVE THEM!

I have the same problem. Very few "friends with skin" -- love that term -- know about my blog, and I end up telling them things they've already read. I'm glad there aren't that many who know!

Netter said...

Love the socks! You know, I have a DVD that teaches us, step by step how to knit socks. I got it for my birthday last year...by request. Have I opened it and popped it in the player yet? NO! Maybe I'll work on them when I get back from my vacation this summer.

You know, my friends all hear my stories a few dozen times with or without my blog... I just can't remember who I've told things to before. It's genetic, I can't help it. Just roll with it...

Anonymous said...

The socks look wonderful!
I own sock blockers, but I only use them for photography purposes. My idea of "blocking" socks is washing them and laying them flat on a towel to dry.

Anonymous said...

The socks are sooo cute! I love them! I can't believe you made them-you're so talented!

cinnamongirl93 said...

Wow! What fun socks! I love them. The colors are so playful. So, what are you going to knit next? Has the sock bug bitten you?
Love the Joan Crawford line! Big smile!

MSM said...

I want to know how to get on your Christmas list and get my own socks. . . .

Kimmie said...

I LOVE THEM! Wahhhhh, (crying) I so want to learn to knit socks!!

Great job...you are my hero...well, the hero of sock knitting.

cheers my sweet knitting friend!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Dana said...

GREAT looking socks!