Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Feed Me!

Baby Brown Thrasher & it's mother or father-click to enlarge
There is an abundance of baby birds and nests in our yard and neighborhood. I l love this time of year when I can watch all the babies. They hop along after their Mommy or Daddy, mouths wide open, eager to be fed, again and again.
I watch their weary parents and if I could speak their language, I'd tell them, "I know how you feel, I've been there. Trust me, one day soon you'll blink an eye and they'll be grown, flying off to strange lands and faraway places. Then you can rest. Then, you'll look back fondly on those days when they followed you around, making their little (and big) demands, never giving you a moment to yourself, or for yourself".
My young daughter has informed me that it's looking likely she'll be returning to Europe to live. Her boyfriend is waiting on the 'official' word from his employer, the DOD; but the unnofficial word has been given, and it appears they'll be moving to northern England. She's only been back in the states for one year, following her three year stint in Germany. That is where she met her boyfriend, as she was there working on an AF base, also for the DOD. I do wish they'd go ahead and get married, but it doesn't appear it's going to happen anytime soon.
My daughter is very excited about this move. She liked Minneapolis okay, but she's tired of the extreme winters and snow; that, and she has an adventurous spirit. She's not flighty, or one who tends to take off on hairbrained whims. She carefully plans her moves, but she is willing to move...enjoys it.
Nikki wore me out as a child. She was most demanding, and extremely strong willed. There were times, I'll admit, when I just wanted her to be quiet for awhile. An empty nest looked almost appealing at times like that, but she was so endearing, so charming, and so funny, that I never felt that way for long.
I really do miss having her in my nest...our home, but like the Mamma Brown Thrasher I spied feeding her baby outside my bedroom window, I've taught Nikki to take care of herself. Now I have to sit back and watch her soar.

Posted by Picasa

The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

~Ps. 121:8

9 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I know you would rather have your daughter closer than Europe, but it's a good mom that lets her spread her wings and fly.

Paula said...

Not being a Mom- I can only imagine how you feel, but you are so strong in letting her go. My prayers are with you! (And her!)

Sharon said...

Renna, I was listening to all of our younger ones here at home a few days ago (yougest 6), they were laughing boisterously and carrying on so that I closed the nearby window, so the neighbors would not be disturbed.
Quickly one of the oldest turned and scanned the room and that all six of them were here. (The oldest two were up and out while they were growing up) She was making reference to the "six" that grew up together.
Even though there are four that remain at home, the youngest is 17 and when Mary Beth said what she did, it was a vivid reminder to me that we would indeed be having an empty nest before long.
I ENJOY them while they are here, and LOVE to hear the sound of laughter in my home. It will leave me with many many sweet memories, as time goes.
I thank God that Nikki has already been placed into the hands of the Lord and that He has a watchful eye over her and that He does not allow her to forget her roots in Him and that He helps her to make EVERYTHING right in her life, so she can be satisfied in her heart, in Jesus' Name.

Anonymous said...

Mom to mom---I know this is hard for you. I do have to say that I think it is wonderful that you are being strong and letting her go. She will thank you for that in the future.

Your description of your daughter when she was younger sounds a lot like my 17 year old right now. She is so strong willed and rebellious right now that I am looking to the finish line, but I know when that comes, it will be sad. All I want for her is that she would seek the good things in life, but right now she seems to want other things. It is sad to watch a child stray.

Sorry to ramble in your comments! Hugs for you today Renna!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

My internet is working for a short bit!

I know you miss her. :-( What experiences she is having since leaving home. You probably worry less since they'll be together.

Anonymous said...

Even though my girls are much younger-your strong willed Nickki-reminds me of them. They are never quiet and I so long for quiet sometimes-but I know your right time goes by so fast I'll be wishing I had them to chatter and chitter around me all day.

cinnamongirl93 said...

First of all what a cool picture of the birds. How did you get so close?!
Your daughter reminds me of my youngest son. I always said he was like having four kids rolled into one! I know what you mean. I'm sure you will miss her terribly. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your daughter. Thank God for the different ways we can communicate now. Maybe get a couple of camera's for your computers. That way you can see each other and talk too. It also is a money saver on the long distance calls. I know there is a service called skype.com. It looks pretty cool. One of my friends has family all over the country and they all hook up to talk and see each other. Just an idea. Maybe you and you DH could get to see Europe too!

Noodle said...

Whenever I get frustrated with my children, I try to remember that I only have them with me for a short while.

She may not live in your home now, but it doesn't sound as if it's diminished your relationship.

I hope Nikki loves it, wherever she moves!

mommy to six J's said...

TEACH THEM IN THE WAY OF THE LORD AND THEY WILL COME BACK TO YOU. beautifu post Char