Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Randomness

A pair of Maine Morning Mitts (pdf) knit from Wool-Ease for my sis-in-law for Christmas. Yes, I know, the picture is lousy. I simply cannot get decent shots inside my dark house. The weather stayed overcast for days forcing me to take some pictures indoors, or not be able to take them before giving the knits away.
I love the Maine Morning Mitts pattern. I have knit a lot of fingerless mitten patterns, but this one is my favorite to knit, hands down (hah, pun not intentional!). On this pair, I picked up a few extra stitches on the thumb. It was that, or end up with a lot of holes to fill in later. As it turned out, I decided to leave them rather than decrease back to the amount called for in the pattern. My sis-in-law's hands are bigger than mine, and these (thumbs) felt slightly snug on me. I didn't knit a gauge swatch, as I rarely do on small items. Small items being about all I knit, now you know the awful truth about me and gauge swatches.

These pictures are so bad, they're hurting my eyes. This was also a gift I knit for my sis-in-law, for her birthday last month. It's a pidge, neckwarmer, or whatever you want to call it.
Neckwarmer pattern
Yarn: GGH Savanna (heavy worsted)
Needles: 10 1/2 US
Size: Approximately 5" x 27"
CO 32
K2, P2 every row (2x2 ribbing)
Buttonhole worked on desired row by BO 2 sts at desired placement; determined by holding scarf around your neck and deciding where you want your button to be.
Next row, CO 2 st (at same place you bound them off i n the previous row) with backward loop CO.
Knit in pattern to desired length (27")
BO
Sew on buttons to match buttonholes
I think the next time I make one of these, I'm going to make only one buttonhole in the center of the row, as no wider than the scarf is, one button, strategically placed, would be sufficient.

You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the redneck out of the girl.
This is my prissy (not!) little daughter, Nikki, having some fun last summer. She and her Bubba (brother) spent the afternoon 'shooting up stuff' at his boss' place in the country.
You who don't believe in owning guns, look away, please. This is Texas, and it's what we do....well, I don't, but a lot of Texans do.

Click to enlarge to see the delicate beading in the yarn
This is a lovely pair of fingerless gloves which I won in a blog contest a couple of years ago. I was blogless at the time, but have always intended on showing them when I got a blog. I'm finally getting around to it.
These were knit by the extremely talented designer/knitter, Nancy, at Getting Purly With It. Nancy has only been knitting a few years, and has designed some incredible knitwear in that time. You should see some of her sweaters. Aside from her talent, she's also one of the sweetest and nicest women I've met on the web. Seriously.
I guess that's all the random things I have to share today. I have to go now. Either there's a prowler in the house, or the cat has gotten stuck in the abyss which is known as my closet. I'm guessing it's the latter, so I better go get her before she determines it's a giant litterbox.
Be blessed y'all!
Posted by Picasa
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
~Romans 8:14 Amplified Bible

37 comments:

Joansie said...

Loved reading your blog today. The comment about the kitty, especially. Love the name of the mitts as I'm from Maine originally so it has to be nice!

Your sister-in-law must be pretty special to receive such nice gifts from you.

Nancy said...

Wow, you certainly packed a lot of into this post. All of the projects are great, but I especially like the button scarf.

Claudia said...

The Texas/gun stuff is funny! LOL My first husband, born in CT, owned a lot of guns and I had to get used to having them in the house. My present hubby, a Texan, wouldn't be caught dead with a gun! (pardon MY pun! LOL)

Love all the fingerless gloves! :D

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've always intended to knit a pair of Maine Morning Mitts for myself. I knit a pair as a gift and loved them. You did a good job on both the mitts and the neck warmer.

Renna said...

That's funny, Claudia! ;-Þ

WhiteStone said...

Those Maine Morning Mitts are wonderful when the house feels just a bit of a chill. Love the neckwarmer, too!

WhiteStone said...

Those Maine Morning Mitts are wonderful when the house feels just a bit of a chill. Love the neckwarmer, too!

Renna said...

Whitestone, one of these days I'm going to get around to knitting myself a pair of those mitts. ;-)

Debra said...

I love your knitting projects, Renna. You are one of the knitters I know that really inspire me. Infact-I actually knitted today!!! Bells are ringing and lights are flashin! It's been that long since I knitted-too long! I tried to make Barbara's Brioche stitch neck warmer, but kept making lace...something's wrong here somewhere-so I found a Mock Rib Stitch pattern in Vogue's stitch book. It's working, and looking nice, but not like yours and Barbara's. I can knit....guess I need to do it more often!
Love, Debra

elizabeth said...

What a fun post and love the mitts. I'm kind of gathering fingerless mitt patterns and want to do them for gifts this year. I've made a note of these. :)

And LOVE your daughter's picture - her grin says it all!

Isle Dance said...

LOVE it!

Renna said...

Debra, I'm so happy that I've inspired you, especially since you always encourage me so by your comments! :-)

Isle Dance, thank you! :-)

Amy said...

My 16 y.o. dd has been searching for fingerless glove patterns. I just can't wait to show her this post!

Unknown said...

I love my fingerless mitts. I wear them to knit in when it is very chilly. I also use them on the computer sometimes. I am a colded hands and feet person so they come in handy.

Your beaded mitts are beautiful. I am sure you enjoy using them. And that neck warmer is quite clever. I don't think we'd need one down here in the deep south but still, very clever for a northern climate.

Thanks Renna!

MSM said...

I'm SO into the fingerless gloves since I got my first pair this winter. I need more!

Yours look wonderful, :)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday a bit late!

Carol said...

Nice warmies!! Good job!! Your sis in law will love them I'm sure.

Photo tip that works for me: take your item into the bathroom. Usually lots of light bouncing around off mirrors.

I love the photo of your daughter!! Yup, us Texans like our second amendment rights.

Renna said...

Carol, I'm LOL at your Texan comment. Amen, sister! ;-Þ

Thanks for the photo tip. I'll try that! :-)

Joyfulsister said...

LOL The closest I go to shooting a gun was a BB gun with my brothers, When my brother accidently skinned a BB pellet pass my face, The BB gun was no more. In fact I still have the scar, so the BB gun was never seen again. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations.

Hugz Lorie

nikkicrumpet said...

I love the fingerless gloves...they just look cool. And not only does Nikki have an awesome name...but she looks dang cute shooting up the woods! I'm from Utah so I was born and raised with a gun in my hand too!

Anonymous said...

Awww...Renna, thanks for the love!!!

And happy belated Birthday :)

Blessings each day said...

Hi,

I'm brand new to blogging and my daughter-in-law (whose blog I have followed for three years), sent me your blog...you did a great job here...if you get a chance, take a peek at my little blog...blessingseachday.blogspot.com

cinnamongirl93 said...

Well I'm glad I was finally able to load your site. It's been several days now.
Love this post! Lots of great things and inspiration. Those mitts you won are stunning. I would really like to learn how to knit with beads. Really cool!
Out where I live gun shots are everyday. We live about 1 mile from a hunting club. When hunting season is over it sure gets quiet.

smariek said...

Wow, that's a lot of beads in those mitts!

Shannon said...

Beautiful knitting patterns! I am working on my third project- a hat with ear flaps for hubby! After that I might try the neck warmer- it is beautiful!
NH and TX are probably kindred spirits when it comes to guns! Nice aim your daughter has!

MRS MJW said...

Love the pretty neck warmer....annnnnnd the fact that you can shoot a shotgun. Woo Hoo.

Anonymous said...

I loved your "randomness", Renna. And I want to make that pidge or whatever you call it, too, so I'm copying the pattern. Okay?

My youngest daughter has her own weapon and is quite a shot. Coloradoans love their 2nd amendment as well:0

Girl Raised in the South said...

Your Texas / guns comment cracked me up. My son sent me a photo, just today, of a dead 300 lb feral pig on the side of the road, near our lakehouse - I'm thinking guns in Texas is a good thing indeed!

Anonymous said...

Hi Renna..
Are you Ok??
Did you know you are about a week behind???LOl
TTYL
Hugs,
Jen

Brenda Pruitt said...

This makes me so wish I didn't have such arthritis that I could still enjoy my quilting! So pretty!
Brenda

Paula said...

I think you're such a wonderful knitter, sweetie!! And the pictures are excellent. You lost me on the pattern, though... but then I saw Nikki with the firearm- now that I can relate to!! (Look out varmits.)

Renna said...

Brenda, I hope nothing ever keeps me from being able to knit. I know it was hard for my mom when arthritis stopped her from being able to sew.

Shannon, I wondered how your knitting was coming along!

I have knit one earflap hat, but plan to do more eventually.

Jennifer said...

Love the picture of Nikki. It looks like she had a lot of fun with Bubba.

Gigi said...

Hi Renna,

Love the mitts and the neckwarmer! If your part of Texas is as warm as it's been here in West Texas, your lovely knits are probably lying in a drawer and you've already dragged out your flip flops - hate that!
And the guns -- yep, this is Texas -- I get it. My 15 yr old grandson shot his first exotic (a Catalina) this weekend. My dad was a hunter, and my mom and I went to deer leases and hunting camps with him for years. I learned to shoot when I was about 13. Never have had the stomach for hunting, but I did my share of target shooting, etc.
Thanks so much for leaving the kind comments on my blog!
Georganna

Suzanne said...

Loved this post. Full of fun stuff! Loved all the knitted items -- really beautiful! When my kids get together they haul out the guns too - just paint ball guns, but similar scenario!

Anonymous said...

Loved the Maine mitts you made. Granny made the girls several pairs and they've been wearing them everywhere!

Love the pic of your daughter too-mine are into that kinda thing too!

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.