Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Not today, but yesterday was my birthday. I learned this weekend from my mother that she requested the doctor induce birth two weeks early so that I would be born on my bio dad's Valentine birthday. I was 8 1/2 hours late. Of course, she'd never have done that today, but 53 years ago, a little less was known about the advantages of letting a kid cook to full term.
Mr.Studley and I spent my birthday with my mom and her husband in Fort Worth. They took us out one night for Mexican food, and the next night for a fabulous steak dinner. We had birthday cake back at their house, and my mom gave me a fat check to buy a new outfit of clothes. Life is good.
I was still carrying around the money Mother had given me for Christmas, saving it until I got a chance to shop in Dallas. I bought several skeins of yarn in JoAnn's Fabrics, and a Lucy Neatby sock knitting book, along with three new sets of bamboo dpn's at the Woolie Ewe in Plano. There were scads of yarn there that I wanted to buy, but it wasn't in my budget.
On our way home, we stopped at Whole Foods Market in Plano. Mr.Studley and I were like a couple of kids in a candy store. All that luscious looking organic produce had our mouths watering. There were samples being given throughout the store of various goodies. I told Mr. Studley, if we lived there, I could do a lot less cooking. I'd just drag him down there every day at dinner time, and we could cruise the store for sample freebies. Not having to buy groceries is likely the only way we could afford to live over there. Practically every other parking space was occupied by a Lexus.
Fortunately for us, the weather had turned a bit colder the night before, so we were able to pick up some perishables there (purchases, not freebie stuff). We sat them in the back of the pick-up so they'd stay cold on the trip home.
One of the things we bought at Whole Foods was goat cheese, something Mr.S. and I had never tried before. It is now our new favorite snack! Another stop we made on the way home was at the World Market in McKinney, where I bought some flatbread crackers. They have toasted carraway, poppy, and sesame seeds in them. We've been spreading the goat cheese on them, then drizzling honey on top. It sounds weird, but it's truly delicious.
In other, and more exciting news, I won a blog contest last week! Natalie, at Tins and Treasures, gave away a big bag of pink, girlie-girl, Valentine goodies, and I won! I had a blast going through the bag, pulling out one pink treat after another. What a shame the only one at home to hear my squeals of delight was my dog, Leyna. ;-Þ
I first met Natalie through her blog about six months ago. We became quick friends. I'm so thankful that our paths have crossed. She's such a warm and caring person. I love reading about the high school classes she teaches. It shows that she puts 100+ percent into those classes, and her students. They are blessed to have her as their teacher! She shares many of the recipes she teaches her students with her blog readers, too. Her crafts are amazing. She has such talent! Everytime I walk in my front door, I now see the red heart she made. I think of her, and am blessed all over again.
Whoa. Would you look at the size of that big, honking box?


What a pretty gift bag. It was stuffed to the gills, too!

It looks like I hit the motherlode! Click on the photo to enlarge, and you can see all my goodies.

This is now hanging on my front door. I love it. I love everything. Thank you, Natalie! You have truly blessed me.
Posted by Picasa
For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
~1 John 3:11 New King James

23 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Oh, Renna!!! What a great birthday you've had! I really enjoy Natalie's blog as well. I am a new reader of hers. :o)

Amy said...

What a lovely day!

Joansie said...

Happy Belated Birthday. I, also, was born on my dad's birthday which was 2 1/2 mos. early.

What great goodies you received. You deserve it along with the fun time you had while with your mom.

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday!

What a treat to have a birthday, visit with family, go on a shopping trip, and win a blog drawing. This will definitely be a memorable birthday for you.

I don't think I've ever tasted goat cheese, but on the flat bread, it does sound delicious.

Karen said...

I'm glad you had such a nice birthday. And winning Natalie's blog prize was just icing on the cake! I will have to check out her blog, it sounds like a nice place to visit.

Your new snack really does sound delicious. And healthy, too. I could use some healthy snack ideas.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! Great swap box, too!

Claudia said...

Happy Birthday, Renna!!!!! Sorry I'm so late!

Carol said...

Happy belated birthday Renna!!!!! I'm glad you had such an enjoyable time at your moms, etc..!! Wait, did I miss it where you told your age? HAHAHAHAHA You know I'm kidding right? ;)

Congrats on winning Natalie's contest!!! You sure did hit it big!! I completely missed it. Where have I been? Even I don't know that answer. hee.

Beth said...

Happy belated birthday, Renna! Glad you had such a nice time.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday,Renna! You are such a sweetie and I am glad your day was nice.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Oh I missed wishing you a happy bday!)-: I hope you had a great one!! Sounds like you did(-: Congrats on your win!

Renna said...

Claudia, no need for apologies. I posted it a day late...just like I was born a day late! ;-Þ

Carol, if you look closely, you'll see I did post my age, though granted I did shrink the font when I typed the number, LOL! ;-)

Beth & Cindee, thank you both so much! :-)

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a fantastic day. Here's to a wonderful year of health, love, peace, joy and happiness

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a fantastic day. Here's to a wonderful year of health, love, peace, joy and happiness

Anonymous said...

Great that you had such a nice Birthday! I love Whole Foods too-but not one within a 100 miles of here! Congrats on the blog win too-very neat bag of goodies.

Liz Harrell said...

Happy (late) Birthday!

Liz Harrell said...

Happy (late) Birthday!

Unknown said...

A very happy belated birthday.. What a great haul of treasures for you.

MSM said...

Oh, HAPPY happy belated birthday! On your birthday we were celebrating my son's Birthday Sunday (after church-family lunch/birthday party). He is 18 today, :)

Very nice timing that you won the awesome giveaway from Natalie!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh I missed your bday. Sorry about that, but it looks like you had quite a lovely time. I have never tasted goat cheese, btw. Fun stuff that you won there.

smariek said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I missed it. What a nice box!

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

My word, girl! Look at you!

I told you Happy Birthday on your actual date, so this isn't belated or anything. :P

BTW: Your blog didn't show an update in my Google Reader! Then it popped up today. I check them daily, so I'm not sure what's going on...

Paula said...

I can't beleive I missed this... Happy WAY-BELATED Birthday!!
I'm so sorry I missed the party... but I have to know- 1) what kind of cake did you have and 2) did you save me any? LOL
Sounds like you had a wonderful day-and the goodies you recieved are awesome!