Friday, May 16, 2008

Reading & Knitting

Preemie Spiral Hat in Lion Brand Microspun Buttercup Size 5 dpn's click picture to enlarge

Most of my life, I've been an avid reader. Not being terribly self-disciplined, I've spent many nights reading through a book I simply couldn't put down long enough to slumber for eight hours. I don't read as much now as I did before I learned to knit. There doesn't seem to be enough idle hours available for both.

Aside from crafty or decorating type books, I've never been one to purchase books, other than at garage sales or thrift stores. Since I don't generally reread a book (the exception being the Bible and novels by Rosamund Pilcher!), there doesn't seem much point in paying the hefty purchase price.

I have been wanting to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter for some time. Until today when I read a review of it, I knew next to nothing at all about it. It's the cover and the title which seduced me. When I peruse the shelves in the library, it's generally the cover of a book that determines if I'll read it or not. I love when the picture itself seems to tell a story. When choosing fiction, I am drawn to soft drawings; whereas I am turned off by bold, colorful and modern looking pictures, as well as by actual photographs. Ninety-eight percent of the time, if the cover attracts me, I end up really liking the book. Covers rarely fail me.

Today is my blessed day! Bev, over at Scractchin' the Surface, held a book giveaway contest and among the announced winners in today's post was my name. YeeHaw!!! She gave away several books, and I won the one of my choice. I read several blogs (thank God for Google Reader!), and just as I am sure is the case with you, I have a few that are my absolute favorites. Bev is one of those. I always look forward to reading her new posts.

I've not done much knitting lately. When I have little time to knit, or when my concentration level is low (both are the case right now), I turn to baby hats. They're so simple and mindless, and I figure I can never knit too many. Aside from any need I may have for giving them as gifts, there are a multitude of charities out there which appreciate them.

I've been knitting all the baby hats with Lion Brand Microspun, since I had alot of it in my stash. I'm not crazy about how easily it splits, but knowing it's propensity to do that, I am a tad more careful as I knit with it. It's not a big problem, and I just love how soft it feels. I only want to use the softest yarns for sweet little baby heads.
The picture above is another Preemie Spiral Hat in Microspun Buttercup (I do wish LB would make this yarn in pastels). I can't seem to get enough of that pattern. It's easy, and yet the spiral ribbing keeps it from being boring. It's the perfect little project to pick up when I only have small blocks of time to knit.
If you've read the Memory Keeper's Daughter, I'd love to hear your comments-provided you can make them without spoiling the plot for me! :-)

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
~2 Corinthians 9:6-8

12 comments:

Kimmie said...

Hi Renna;

So happy you won...enjoy!

xoxoxox
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

My reading time suffered once I picked up knitting, too. :)

Netter said...

Congrats on the win!

Now about the book. I read it right after it came out, before anyone said anything bad or good about it. Let me tell you this...My Cousin Cindy cried...A LOT. One of my other friends had huge issues with the direction the book went. I'm a little more laid back about things like that. I tell myself that what I read is reality, no matter how far fetched or sensationalist. Maybe that's why I enjoy more books than most people. I don't get to picky....although if it ends in the opposite way I'd have ended it, I get annoyed. Did I enjoy the book? Yep. Would I have changed some things, sure but overall, it was an interesting read. All I'm going to say is that I loved the nurse.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Another really cute hat!

I have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll just say that this story will make you feel something. And, it will make you think. It's a story I can't get out of my mind.

We can talk more about it after you've read it.

Anonymous said...

I love to read-but haven't read the book yet-so I'll be wanting to see what you think about it.

I love the bright color of the baby hat and the flowers are so pretty!

Paula said...

Oh I love the color of that little hat, Renna... too cute.
I'm like you... I've been known to stay up ALL night reading a book.
By the way, I haven't forgotten your recipes- I've been outside more than inside the last few days! You'll probably hear from me sometime tomorrow...it's supposed to rain all day.

cinnamongirl93 said...

That is an awesome picture you posted! It could be in a knitting book. Nice work on the hat.
Let me know about the book. I used to read a lot. Now with everything else I don't seem to find enough time to read. All I need to do is make the time!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I'm intrigued about the book, too. For those who love someone dearly with Down Syndrome, will it be too disturbing and something they should pass on or not?

MSM said...

Can't wait to find out how you like the book. I've heard a lot about it.

Kimmie said...

Hi Renna;

Come by, when you get a minute...I linked to you in a post.

;-)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

I used to read all the time... that is before I picked up the knitting needles!

Those preemie hats are too cute...

Girl Raised in the South said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed the book - it was dark, sad, tragic, but kept me glued til way too late. I was relieved to finally finish it so I could get some sleep!