Friday, May 9, 2008

A Charming Day


One of the first places I discovered when our family went "online" ten years ago was the Homeschooler's Curriculum Swap. Since I was still homeschooling my (now grown) daughter at that time, the site intrigued me. At first I assumed by the title that it was merely a place to exchange used curriculum.


I quickly discovered the Swap was about so much more than curriculum. It has a message board forum made up of a warm and friendly group of homeschoolers with likeminded christian values. If you are looking for such a place, whether it be for moral support in your homeschooling venture, expertise and advice of seasoned homeschoolers in making curriculum decisions, or simply a place to make online christian friends with whom you can share and laugh and be yourself, please do stop by. I am sure you will be made to feel as welcome now as I was ten years ago.


Amy, from A Redeemed Sheep, suggested we experiment with having Swappie theme blogging days, where we all post about a particular theme, then sign the Mr. Linky on her blog. We're starting with a charm bracelet theme, which, as it turns out, not too many Swappies own or have ever owned. We'll probably consider a wider appealing subject next time.


If you own or have owned a charm bracelet, even if you're not a Swappie, please consider yourself invited to post and share about it on your blog; a picture, or simply your memories of it. We are not a closed club!


Despite my verbal approval to Amy of this idea, much to my embarrassment, I forgot it was supposed to be today. Worse, as I began to scrounge through jewelry boxes and drawers, my old charm bracelet seemed to be no more!


The first place I looked was in this lovely old chest my grandmother gave me the day of my (bio) dad's funeral. It had belonged to my grandpa, who I don't remember, as he died when I was two. I've always been told that had he lived, I'd have grown up with the name Candy. He dubbed me that, and everyone else followed suit. The name died with him. I can't say I'm sorry about that.


Let's see....there's my old cat eye glasses I wore in elementary school. Well, I was supposed to wear them, but rarely did. There's the little plastic mirror that was part of a set. It was a birthday present one year and I was terribly proud of it. There used to be a matching brush and comb with it.


The plastic box in the upper left corner of the chest has my last set of Jacks and ball in it. I was a Jack playing machine! I could spend hours playing alone or with a friend.


The dainty hankie with the crocheted edge belonged to my Nanny (Mom's mom). She always carried pretty hankerchiefs.


The tiny pink bow next to my Jacks was the one glued to my daughter's head the day we brought her home from the hospital. The nurses tipped me off that K-Y Jelly works great for gluing bows to baby's heads. I discovered that bow in my late husband's wallet when it was returned to me after his accidental death. Someday, I'll give it to my daughter. Though you can't see it in the picture, a small white new testament is in there that was given to her at her birth. I'll probably put the bow in it and present it to her on her wedding day.


My grandfather's old chest was a bust, so I moved on to the drawers of the old treadle Singer sewing machine which used to belong to my hankie carrying Nanny. My mom learned to sew on that machine, and what a seamstress she was until arthritis robbed her of that joy.


The drawer was full of vintage costume jewelry, but no charm bracelet.



Here's my old band medals. Nothing spectucular to see here, so let's move along, folks.



Aha! We're getting somewhere now. Still no charm bracelet, but I did find some of my old charms. Why they aren't with the bracelet is beyond me. The two tiny pics to the left are of my daughter and my son. The gold aspen leaf was one I picked up on a vacation with my folks to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, as a teenager. The Oklahoma one was a token of the state of my birth. I can't remember where I got those others. Well, I ididn't come up with a charm bracelet, but it was fun digging through old mementos today.



For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

~Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Oh...I loved this post!!! One of these days I am going to go to my mom's house. Your post reminds me so much of her because of the special stuff you have tucked away here and there. So neat!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

What a fun post! I'm sorry you couldn't find your bracelet, but your post is so full of love.

I have a similar box of goodies that I've been saving to discuss my great-grandma. I'll have to get it done one day!

Netter said...

I have a box just like the one in your second picture. My Grandma, the one that just passed away, gave it to me when I was 4 or 5. I heard once that it may have contained candy when it was new. My Mom was also pretty sure it was given to Grandma filled with candy...who knows! I used it as a jewlery box for years and then one day I dropped it. I only broke the mirror out of it. Total bummer, then my little sister colored in the top where the mirror was. When I was a teenager, I cut a piece of green paper and placed it in the top...its still there. I use the box as a memory box for all my special trinkets. I don't let people peak in there very often. I actually did a post on my site, quite a while ago about some of its contents. It's probably one of my favorite things. I would be heartbroken if something ever happened to it.

Anyhwhozits, I was sorry you didn't find your charm bracelet. I lost mine several years ago while on vacation. I wore it all the time. I had it on in the morning, but that evening it was gone. Over the years I have tried to replace some of the charms. Hmmm...I think I might have to post about it. Neat idea. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I seem to remember my grandmother starting a charm bracelet for me, but I don't think it ever had more than three charms on it.

I was born in Oklahoma too.

My Open Nest said...

Renna, I love this post. I felt like I was right there in your home helping you search for the charm bracelet. Many of your saved treasures remind me of some of mine.
I have my grandmother's old treadle Singer sewing machine too. I recognized the little drawer and your vintage jewelry looks like the stash I have.

Your charms reminded me that I MUST get an Oklahoma charm for my bracelet to remind me of my birthplace, too.

This has been a fun theme, hasn't it?

Love ya sister,
Dana

Amy said...

What a wonderful walk down memory lane!

I guess I should sign into the Swap more often so I know about these upcoming blogging events :-)

MSM said...

Great post! Great pictures and keepsakes.

The cat-eye glasses look familiar : )

Who'd have guessed that you were the King of Jacks?

Anonymous said...

What a neat post! I loved looking into your treasures. I've always found it fascinating what we keep and why. I have little trinkets that are totally worthless-but I've kept them since I was a child and have some memory connected to each one. Very neat post!

Paula said...

Ooooh- I can spend hours looking through things like that... it brings back so many wonderful memories, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing all this, Renna... I'm sorry you didn't find the bracelet, but it looks like you found some other treasures!

Smith Family said...

What a cool post. I have a trunk that has stuff that belonged to my dad. I think the post I do this month, I may have to borrow this idea and take some pictures of the items in there.

Vickie said...

I just stopped by to say a big East Texas "howdy" from me, another ET gal. Nice to meet you - Come visit me sometime! - Vickie

Vickie said...

Renna - by the way, I had to smile at your photo of your baby girl - I have some of those charms from Sears Photography with my kids in them, too! Vickie

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a nice post! How interesting to go back in time and look at objects that stir so many memories.
Your stuff is so fun and cool!
BTW the scripture on the bottom is my life verse.

Sharon said...

Renna.....you have horned rimmed glasses like I used to have when I was about 6 years old. Only mine were lighter in color. How funny!!!
Was a nice walk down memory lane with you and some of your cherished items.
Thanks for sharing.
xoxoxo

Noodle said...

This was such a great post! I love all of your jewelry, including those old band charms!

I'm going to have to take some pictures of my grandmother's old stuff.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I love your treasure box. By coincidence, I stopped by your blog right after a few hours of sorting through some of my MIL's treasures, they included letters and autograph books dating back to the 1800's.

I have had such a lovely time catching up on your blog.

Unknown said...

I loved the stuff in the box with the glasses...especially because I spy tatting on that hanky with the blue/green edging. I love tatting. Lucky you to have that.