Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Waiting Game

Hubby had a medical test done at the local hospital yesterday. It was nothing serious, just preventative maintenence. I'm blessed to have a husband who's genuinely concerned with his health and doing what he can to keep it good. He exercises regularly, eats right, and keeps his weight down. I wish I could say the same for myself. I'm working on it, though.
Meanwhile, I had a few hours to kill in the waiting room yesterday. I wasn't in the mood to knit on any of my (too) many WIP's ('works in progress' for my non-knitterly readers). Since waiting rooms can tend to be noisy places, often with tv's droning on in the background, I opted for a mindless mini-project not requiring much concentration. I found this Bundle of Joy baby Hat at Knitting Pattern Central.
I had a skein of purple Lion Brand Microspun in my stash. It's a 100% micro-fiber acrylic yarn, and it feels like buttuh! I'm not kidding. It's incredibly soft. It feels like a lusciously soft cotton. It's great for knitting for babies.
Since I have no newborn to use as a model, I scrounged around in my daughter's closet and came up with this doll who's head is about the right size. I took the picture outside (obviously) and we're having a very overcast day. The yarn appears royal blue here, but it is indeed a very deep purple.
I'm not wild about the i-cord topknot. The instructions said to make the i-cord 4", then tie in an overhand knot. I think it's too long. Next time, I may omit the i-cord altogether. This was such a simple, no-brainer of a pattern, I have a hunch I'll be knitting alot of baby hats from it in the future.
Speaking of baby hats, have you seen Coveted Yarn's contest? Each newborn hat you donate and send in (crocheted or knit) gains you one entry into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to be used at their yarn store. Hats must be received by March 31st. Not to fret if that's not enough time for you, though, as I understand they hold the drawing quarterly. They donate the hats to a local hospital. You can get all pertinent info for entering and where to send your hats at their blogsite.

Isn't this little praying doll sweet. It shows alot of wear, so I guess it must've been one of my daughter's favorites for a time.
And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
Isaiah 54:13
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great hat! I'll have to remember that pattern.

Sharon said...

Renna Gayle!
You MAKE such SWEET things!!!

Sharon said...

I've been thinking about that doll of your daughters.

If it was one of your daughters favorite....she'll never never forget what she's been taught about the power of prayer. :)

Anonymous said...

The doll is the perfect model for that hat! So cute!!

cinnamongirl93 said...

The hat is so cute! I have never used Micro spun. I'll have to give it a try. Also the doll is the perfect model.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Normally I make the i-cord shorter, but I might rethink that because this one is so cute! I think it adds a bit of whimsy to the hat.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I really LIKE the topknot.

Amy said...

How adorable! I love looking at your projects. Someday I am going to have time for my projects!

Coveted Yarn said...

Thanks for spreading the word!!