Thursday, September 25, 2008

Things in My House Thursday





I can't remember if this little bank was left over from my own childhood or my son's. That's pretty pathetic, memory-wise, I know, but such is me these days.
Little Mr. Apple bank has entertained a lot of kids, and a few adults, over the years. The photos are pretty explanatory. You place a coin on the little stem. The eye flap lifts up and a smiling faced worm comes out and slides the coin inside the bank. At some point over the years, the plastic piece which snaps on to hold in the money disappeared. Not that we'd likely have left that money untouched. We won't talk about the number of times I slipped into one of the kid's piggy banks when change was needed. ;-)
In case you looked very closely, you may be wondering if this magical little bank makes change. It does not. I used a quarter in the first photograph, but later realized I forgot to photograph the little worm, and used a penny then.
If you'd like to join "Things in My House Thursday's", post pictures on your own blog of things you'd like to share with us, then go to MOMMY SWEET MOM's and sign the Mr. Linky on her today's post.

Posted by Picasa




Be sincere in your love for others. Hate everything that is evil and hold tight to everything that is good. Love each other as brothers and sisters and honor others more than you do yourself.
~Romans 9,10 (Contemporary English Version)

20 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

That's a neat bank!

Eve said...

That is so cute. I love these little banks that do things. I am sure there is a better name for them than that.

I saw one a few years ago, a chicken you put the money in her mouth and out came an egg. It was so funny. I think it once clucked too.

Nancy said...

What an interesting mechanical bank. The only bank I can remember is a traditional piggy bank.

MSM said...

I REMEMBER this bank!

I really think I am remembering it from when I was young, and not from any of my kids.

I've always liked these "interactive" (?) banks.

How cool that you still have this one!

Thanks for joining TIMHT. : )

MSM said...

Very, very interesting.

Schotzy said...

How cute is that! I can imagine how child would react to that! Adorable! And ooooo! I wish I could have read your original comment on my blog tonight. The enemy is always seeking to rob the good things from us, but he can never take away the sweet fellowship of good friends in Christ! God bless you, so much! Carolyn

Carol said...

How fun!! That would sure make a kid want to save their pennies.

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable! I'm sure the kids just love it! Have a great weekend.

Shannon said...

I had one of those! What a great memory! I used the money I saved in there to buy those little wax (soda) bottles with sugary syrup inside, or pixie sticks :)

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a cool bank. I would've never guessed it was a bank. I know what you mean about memory. LOL!

Karen said...

I wanted to give my little nephew a bank for his birthday and was hoping to come up something cute like this. The only interactive bank I found is a robot, that makes lots of noise when it grabs your money. I'm sure my nephew will enjoy it, but whatever happened to cute??

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I remember seeing one of those! My memory stops at the point of where I saw it, though.

It's cute. Loved the coin switcherroo. :oD

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I have a small collection of old banks. I find them very interesting and yours is very interesting.

Claudia said...

Someone in my family used to have one of those. I can't remember who. But I've seen it first hand and it's so much fun! Nice that you still have yours. :)

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I've never seen a bank like that before! That is just the cutest thing in the world!!!!! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for your sweet comments today on my blog. You are always such an encouragement to me, and I don't tell you enough!!!!!!

Cora

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Very cool bank! I've never seen one like this.

I know that I posted to this thread the other day...

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That is just darling! How nice that you still have it.

Smiles,
Lea

Kelly said...

This is so cute!! I was tagged on my blog. And now you have been tagged. Check out my blog to see what I mean. :)

Jessica said...

I totally love that thing. So much better than a regular boring bank!

zakkalife said...

that has to be one of the cutest child banks I have ever seen, if I ever come across one at a garage sale/thrift store, I'm buying it