Saturday, September 27, 2008

Red Hat Day

I'm working on my Christmas knitting. I was actually making this for my oldest stepdaughter's husband, but after trying it on both my head and Mr.Studley's, I realize it's a tad small for an adult. The pattern called for sz. 8 needles, and I tend to be a loose knitter, so I went with sz. 7's. The last couple of hats I've knit have come out on the small side (and no, I didn't do a guage swatch, shame on me!) . I'm thinking I may no longer be a loose knitter.
My younger stepdaughter has 11 and 12 year old sons, both small for their age. I think it should (hopefully) fit one of them. Of course I knit it long enough for an adult head, but that should be no problem by turning up the brim twice, which I did in the pictures. It will keep the ears extra warm. I really like working with Wool-Ease. It's soft and has just enough wool to add extra warmth. We do get cold weather in this part of the country, but not extremely so. This yarn is a good mix.

Pattern: Basic Hat from Ooh Baby Knits

Size: Adult (Cast on 80 sts)

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted weight

Needles: Size 7 double pointed (homemade)

Modifications: I worked ribbing for 8 3/4", then stockinette st for 2 1/2". Had I known it was going to be for a boy, I'd have knit the ribbing length according to the pattern.

On a side note, I really like the patterns at Ooh Baby Knits. I was following her blog along when she stopped posting in March of last year. In June, her mom came on with a brief post, stating that her daughter, Michelle (blog's author) was having severe health problems, had just had surgery, and was requiring nursing home care while she recuperated. There have been no posts since that time. I prayed for her every day for several months. I began to wonder if the prayers are still needed. :-( She was a young woman with children, and it grieves my heart to think how her family must have suffered, as well as her. By any chance, does anyone reading this know anything about her? I assure you, I am not asking out of a morbid curiosity.

We are having lovely fall weather here in north Texas. It's still a little warm in the afternoons, but the lower humidity makes being outside a sheer delight. My little Leyna is loving it, too. When Mommy isn't grumpy from being hot and sweaty, Mommy takes her on longer walks, and more of them. I hope you're enjoying your fall!

Posted by Picasa
Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.
~Galations 6:1-3 The Message

13 comments:

Nancy said...

The hat is wonderful: the blue flecks add just the right touch. It is frustrating to knit something that doesn't fit the intended recipient. The good thing is that it will fit someone.

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

The color and flecks are very pretty. I bet it'll fit one of the boys just fine. You are doing such nice work, Renna.

Debra said...

I love wool-ease also, and really I learned to knit using that yarn. I love all the color choices. I'm afraid I have become a knitting snob, by using more wool than any other fiber-but actually the color is my first consideration when I choose yarn.
I love the hat and I think I'm going to look up that pattern. I'm starting my Christmas knitting too, along with listening to Christmas movies while I work.
Love, Debra

Carol said...

Very nice Renna!! Love the color.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Such beautiful work! You know, I do all sorts of handwork but I never could get the hang of knitting or crocheting. I'm in awe of those of you that do.

Smiles,
Lea

Isle Dance said...

I love that red hat! Way to go! :o)

Claudia said...

What a lovely hat! I've never done hats and everyone tells me that I should. I think I'm going to make some scarves with the hats built in this year. I've never done those, either, but they look like fun.

If I had found the pattern for the hat I was looking for (the one from The Big Bang Theory), I would have loved yarn this color!

And I do know from personal experience that we do sometimes change from being tight knitters to loose knitters and vice versa. Sometimes it depends on our moods.

Great job! :)

cinnamongirl93 said...

Nice hat! The color is so cherrie and bright. I'm sure the recipients will enjoy them and think of you and your kindness.

Anonymous said...

Another neat hat!! And yes I am enjoying the cooler weather for sure.

Juri said...

OH great! I have been looking for a nice hat pattern to knit! Thanks for sharing...it looks great!

Juri

 Cha said...

I wish I could knit. I can't remember, have you always knitted, or taken it up in the last few years? Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I love the hat. Of course, I am into tweed these days it seems. It has just the right amout of color and is the perfect winter red.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Renna,

This post got lost in my Blog List and somehow I missed reading it earlier this week. I'm finding this happens every now and then and I'm really not happy about it.

I do love the hat you made. I never knit gauge swatches for hats either. It doesn't seem worth the trouble for something so small and quick to knit. And it will always fit someone.

I've been wondering about Michelle too, but I haven't heard anything. Her pattern for preemie booties is my favorite.