Thursday, August 28, 2008

Things In My House Thursday

I'm participating this week in MommySweetMom's meme, Things In My House Thursday. I would post the darling little button if I weren't so computer illiterate that I can't figure out how to get the thing here. You'll just have to trust me that there is a button, and it is cute.

These really are on a shelf in my house, but due to inadequate lighting for picture taking, I sat them outside my house to photograph them. They are of no value, other than sentimental. The object on the left, which I refer to as "object" for the mere fact that I am unsure what it is. A cat? A bunny? A dog? Your guess is as good as mine. I do know it's a bank, as there is a slot on the back for coins. The object on the right is obviously a tiny little picture. It's bisque, I think, and stands about three inches tall.
Both these items belonged to my mother when she was a girl. Twice in her childhood, her family lost their home to a fire. The last one being when she was in the 8th grade. Both these items of her's survived the fire, though the cat/bunny/dog did suffer broken paw tips. Sadly, in 1990, my mom and dad's retirement home also burned to the ground. These items again survived the fire. My mom has suffered many tragedies in her life. I don't display these as a reminder of a tragedy, but rather as a reminder of the triumph of survival.
I was going to post some pics of Nikki that we shot at the airport this week, but since she is no longer "in" my house, I decided to wait. ;-)
I want each of you who read my blog and have commented to know I am genuinely blessed by your comments. Seriously, the highlight of my day is opening my e-mail and seeing Blogspot's notice of the various comments I have received. With each comment, I feel a little closer to you; I get to know you a little better. If a comment comes through from a new person, I normally hurry straight to their blog to read it. Many of the blogs I read, I have discovered by clicking onto the blogs from the commentor forms.
The reason I'm sharing this truth now is that I've not been replying to comments left on my blog in recent weeks. Oh, I've responded to one here and there, but for the most part, I've been negligent. I'm reading them, I assure you, but I haven't been responding to them. I've not been reading all the blogs on my normal reading list, either. My daughter was here for nearly the entire month of August, and my mom and her husband were here much of that time. For someone who leads a normally somewhat sedate life, things have been hopping around here. I want to be sure you know I haven't been ignoring your comments. On the contrary, I've cherished them.

Posted by Picasa
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
~Matthew 24:35 NKJV

28 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Renna, those are precious!! And for them to have survived two fires is amazing!

The "object" is a cat, but it could be any one of the animals you mentioned. My first thought was cat, though.

I'm anxious to see pictures of Nikki. You've had a wild and busy August...I guess I have, too, dealing with the unexpected home remodel thanks to the termites. I never feel ignored if you don't respond to my posts here or on my blog. I know you love me because I am so lovable! Ha!

Muddy said...

What sweet items, and such a wonderful story to go alone with them. So glad you shared.

Tins and Treasures said...

I loved reading about the treasures in your home. I, too, have alot of stuff, cause it belonged to my mom, her mom, great aunt, etc. So much sentimental value. Thanks for sharing

cinnamongirl93 said...

Wow two fires! That is amazing.
When I was 10 yrs old our house burned to the ground 2 weeks before Christmas. It was a very very terrible time for our family. The only thing that survived was a handmade knotted rug made by my great grandmother. The rug was made out5 of hand dyed nylons and the pattern resembled an oriental carpet. It truly was a work of art. My Mom did not know where to hand it so it was rolled up in my parents closet. That rug gave my Mom such comfort at a very difficult time.

I'm glad you had so much fun with your daughter.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Woops, I should have checked my spelling before I posted. Sorry Renna!!!

Kelly said...

Those items are wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed time with your daughter. Don't let her keep you too busy. :)

Debra said...

Renna,
Those little things mean so much-what history and love they hold. I hope you write it down somewhere for the future-it would be a shame to have the history of them get lost.
Love, Debra

MSM said...

The bank kind of looks like a chipmunk to me. It's great the bank and pitcher survived those fires.

MSM said...

I'm so glad you joined TIMHT; don't feel bad about the button - you know I had to rely on another generous blogger for that myself!

I think that object is a chipmunk. . . (now I just saw my own daughter's comment and she said the same thing - but I promise we thought it independently).

My mother's family home burned to the ground twice when they were growing up - I don't think anything was saved; but when our house was on fire, my mother grabbed an EMPTY aluminum cookie jar that she'd bought with stamps. Now no one knows where that is / what happened to it; very nice that you have these items and the stories behind them.

Thanks for sharing!

elizabeth said...

What caught my eye on this post is the Bible verse you posted with your comment thank you because it is so perfect.

I've not heard of this Thursday event before so I'm going to head over and check it out. :)

Isle Dance said...

Amazing. What a blessing that they have survived.

Carol said...

Amazing they survived not one fire but two!! They were went to live on and be shared with us..so thank you.

Being a cat person, I vote that it's a kitty. ;)

Claudia said...

Love this post. You are a treasure! *hugs*

Shannon said...

What a wonderful gift your Mom shared with you. I like the strength of survival viewpoint. It's funny how an object or trinket can have so much value to us! On a day that our church group was going to the local amusement park (when I was a child) I had to go into the hospital for surgery. My brother, who often pretended I wasn't there if he wasn't torturing me, went with the group and brought back a little clay painted girl that he "won" for me at the park. I still have it to this day! Your cat and pitcher brought that memory back- Thank you!
I would also vote cat for the first item ;)

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

What an amazing story behind them! Wow! I think the item on the left looks like Leyna's yawning photo. :D

A happy heart at home said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

~Susan

Tracy Batchelder said...

I agree it looks like a cat. Having something of your mom's like this is special.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Just a quick thank you for stopping by and offering your sympathy in the loss of our Duke. It was our privilege to have had him in the family for so many years. With Duchess and Sam the Cat we still blessed with the companionship of the creatures of the kingdom. As you said they really don't fill the void. Thanks again for your kindness and compassion.

You have a delightful, cozy place to visit. Cathy

Anonymous said...

I sure know what you mean about adding things to your blog sidebar. Still can't figure it out. So sweet, those things from your mother. Can't imagine fire struck her so close three times! Don't worry. We'll still be here when you get back to us!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I can see why you cherish the items. Those types of things matter so much more than the expensive ones.

I'm not worried about you responding or not-one bit! I'm just glad you got to spend time with your family-especially your daughter!!! Thats what counts.

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna!

Thanks so much for your visit and sweet comments! I just absolutely love it when someone new drops by! As for my Dear Sweet Mother, she went to Heaven in March. I miss her so much, but I must say she left our family so many beautiful memories that will forever be with us.

What lovely treasures! That's what make our homes so special, all these beautiful pieces with wonderful stories!

Smiles...

Beverly

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

That is sad about your moms homes burning. I can't imagine. Its wonderful that the little treasures survived it all. I think the thing on the right looks like a cat or maybe a rat terrier(-: Its great you get to keep them now(-:

Paula said...

Oh good Lord I nearly fell in the floor laughing when I saw you had put the yawning picture on your profile!!! Yay!! I love it!

Those little items of your Mom's are such treasures... I have a little toy car that my Grandfather bought for my Mom when she was a little girl... the funny story behind it was Mom had two older sisters, but when they went out to the store or something, Mom would always stick right with my Grandfather because she could sway him into buying her something when the others weren't around because she was "his baby girl"!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Okay you wild and crazy woman! What a great story you have posted, and I will have to go check out the blog you mentioned. I, too, feel loved by you no matter what. You have been a friend for how many years??? It is so funny to think back on our first conversation on the phone over a math book. Hope you have a little calmer September, and I'll look forward to pictures of Nikki.

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

Hey Renna, I sent you an award!! I just love coming here and reading your blog and lookin' at all your pics!!

Love ya girl,
Vic

Anonymous said...

I thought the item on the left was a squirrel at first. I think it's kinda cute that it's an item that so many think is a different thing.

And your pitcher...you know you wrote picture? Now, I'm not trying to be all spell-check on you, and I'm only mentioning it at all because it made me laugh out loud so much. We just did this! I said grab me a pitcher and my dd said which one. I told her and she gave me a look -- we kept going round and round cause I wanted a pitcher and she thought I wanted a picture. We each thought the other was losing it!!

Thanks for sharing these special items. I really like this theme. I might have to start doing it. And I will have to ask Amy how to put a button straight in the middle of a post - I haven't figured that out yet myself.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I completely understand, Renna. I don't get to visit much these days either, but I do miss my sweet friends and enjoy visiting when I can.

I have a little piggy bank and a set of deer bookends that were my mother's as a child. They are precious to me.

Blessings,
Lea

Solange Belém said...

Hello Renna,
Vim te visitar e gostei muito deste blog. Também gosto de fazer novos amigos.
I love this blog, it's a wonderfull,
Smilles,

Sol