Saturday, August 2, 2008

Keeping Cool

This was in the late afernoon, after the temperature had dropped.

This was in the yard mere inches from my feet, letting out not a peep. It's a miracle I didn't step on him. It could have been a 'her', but since I'm unsure, I'll call it a 'he'.

Here he is again, having hopped up to the porch when I attempted to pick him up. I was going to tuck him safely in a nearby tree until 'Mom' returned with breakfast, but I didn't catch him. Notice the little "gift" he left me. Yep, it was bound to be a 'he'.

Just a shot of the ivy in our backyard, gradually taking over our backyard.
I've been busy preparing for company this week. My mom and her husband arrive on Monday, for an extended visit. My daughter, Nikki, is driving down from Minneapolis this week. She'll stop over at her stepbrother's around the Arkansas/Missoure border to spend a night or two there before continuing on here. She said her length of stay there will be determined by whether or not she can sleep on the blow up air bed on the floor. Their apartment is small and they don't have an extra bed. She's young, and can probably handle it. I, on the other hand could not.
As you can imagine, I am very excited to see my daughter. She'll be here much of the month of August. She'll be off seeing friends some while here, and she and her brother are planning a trip to the DFW area to go to 6-Flags and Hurricane Harbor and spending a night or two over there. Still, I'll get plenty of time with her while she's here.
She's got a busy summer planned. After she leaves here toward the end of August, she's flying to DC to spend a few days with a friend from Germany who's living in the states now. After a few days there, she'll take the train to her cousin, Mandi, in Virginia (who's fiancee' Rich had the recent kidney transplant) to visit for a few days. After that it's another flight to Orlando to spend a week or so with her best friend, then it's off to Dublin, Ireland. From there, she'll catch a plane on to Leeds, England, where she'll meet back up with her boyfriend. Phew! It all makes me tired just thinking of it! She leads a much busier life than her mamma ever did.
Posted by Picasa
When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down.
~Ephesians 4:26 Amplified Bible

17 comments:

Nancy said...

How exciting to have your daughter visit for a month. Her extended trip sounds fantastic, but tiring. Alas, being a carefree spirit is for the young, not the young at heart.

The baby bird looks like a robin. Is it?

It's been hot here for the last week with temperatures nearing 100, but thankfully, very little humidity.

elizabeth said...

Whew....excuse me while I go nap a bit after reading your daughter's schedule! :) It does sound like she'll have a wonderful time and I'm glad you'll get to see her.

Monica said...

Where do you live? 100 degrees after the temp. drops is still pretty hot. I feel your pain, I'm in Phoenix!

Debra said...

Hi Renna!
Your pictures are very good. Is that little guy a Mockingbird? He sort of looks like one.
I can't imagine heat like that. We crab
when it gets around 80.
I love your writing in your profile-I feel like I know you better, and I was wondering how to pronounce your name. I was doing it right!
God bless your daughter, and the rest of your family. I'll pray for safety, and for wonderful memories.
Love, Debra

cinnamongirl93 said...

You have a very busy month ahead. Oh my word! Your daughter is really going to do some traveling. Enjoy your time together. Make some fun memories that will last a lifetime.
I have been watching the weather for Texas. Boy it sure is hot there! It's been beautiful here in Northern Illinois. Sunny, hot and almost no humidity!
Is the ivy the Kudzu vine? I have family that moved to Georgia about 10 years ago. It grows all over the place in Georgia.
Stay cool and have a great time with your family!!!!

Iris Godfrey said...

My what a busy month! Enjoy! The baby bird is precious -- I think the heat was probably getting to him. I will let you enjoy all that heat there -- I remember it well -- too well.
Have a blest day!

Claudia said...

Enjoy your time with your family and thanks for the great pictures! Love the bird feeder. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you'll get to spend time with your daughter. How exciting!! Love the birds too.

Anonymous said...

Aw, look at that little guy! Yep, a man definitely! What an exciting Summer for your daughter. Have a nice visit.

MSM said...

I would love to live vicariously through your daughter; she's living the life I'd like to live if I were at least 20 years younger and a lot braver.

Think she'd ever be willing to send the occasional post card, from her fascinating travels, to complete and total strangers??

zakkalife said...

the whole bird story made me laugh

happy for you that you'll get to spend some time with your daughter, and I agree that's one busy schedule

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Have a wonderful time with your daughter!

Smiles,
Lea

vikki said...

enjoy your time with your daughter! how wonderful for you both. loved the lil birdie ~ yep must be a 'he' to leave a mess for us to clean up! =) hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Tracy Batchelder said...

I missed reading this post earlier because we were spending time with our daughter who was home for a visit...I truly understand your excitement about seeing your daughter.

Saturday was also our hottest day of the year. Temperatures have dropped since then though. It's cloudy and overcast and we are keeping a close eye on the Gulf. Looks like we are in for some rain.

Unknown said...

Renna,
Let the younger ones do the running...we'll enjoy the birds! What a cutie.
Enjoy those precious moments you have with your daughter...those moments are gifts from Him, as are our children...the fruit of the womb is a reward...what Love Daddy has for us.
daune

Girl Raised in the South said...

That's one traveling girl! Don't you love this time of year, when the baby birds are everywhere. I love seeing their funny, fluffy feathers, and you can tell they're new at this flying thing. Love that bird bath too!

Carol said...

How precious is that bird!!!

I hope you enjoy a great time with your family.