Thursday, August 7, 2008

Recipe Box Swap~Homemade Ice-Cream

swap blogpost
The first Thursday of the month is set aside for the Recipe Box Swap. Randi, at i have to say... hosts this each month and posts a Mr.Linky for bloggers who wish to participate in sharing their favorite recipes. This month's theme is "Garden Fresh". Some of you are probably wondering about now what ice-cream has to do with garden fresh. The answer is, absolutely nothing. ;-Þ
I'm preoccupied with visiting family right now, and the Recipe Box Swap sort of snuck up on me. I'm replaying a picture (down below) which I've already shared on my blog in the past, and posting a recipe which has nothing to do with garden fresh food. I'm holding my breath that the Recipe Box Swap Police doesn't come and take away my recipe book, or at the least throw garden fresh rotten tomatoes at me. Wait, fresh and rotten would be an oxymoron, wouldn't it? Sheesh, I'm getting sillier and sillier, so I'll get on with it before my subscribers drop me like a garden fresh hot potato. Oh, I know, that was one too many garden fresh comments, so without further ado, I'll post my recipe for homemade ice-cream, which you can top with a peeled and choppped garden fresh peach, just as I did. Enjoy!
Homemade Ice-Cream
whole Milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 pint whipping cream
2 /12 cups sugar
5 med-large eggs, or 4 x-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla (or to taste)
1 4oz box Junket Vanilla Ice-Cream mix ( in most grocery stores for a little over a dollar)
rock salt
In a large bowl (I use my really big tupperware bowl), starting with 4 cups of whole milk, add all the ingredients and beat very well with an electric hand mixer.
Pour the mixture into your ice-cream freezer's cannister, then finish filling it up to the fill line with whole milk. Stir with a long spoon. Put the lid on the cannister then follow your freezer's directions to freeze.
The milk part of it is really a matter of preference. If I only have whole milk on hand, I just fill the cannister with it. Or you can use a quart of whipping cream and skip the evaporated. The more whipping cream you use, the creamier your ice-cream will be. It really depends on how much 'fat' you want in your ice-cream. You can also chop fresh fruit such as bananas, peaches, or strawberries and add to the mixture before freezing.
This makes enough for a 1 gallon electric ice-cream freezer.
If you're worried about the raw eggs, all I can say is, I've been eating it this way for right at 50 years, and have never once gotten sick from it. Neither has anyone in my family.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice-cream!

Posted by Picasa
Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who makes the Lord his refuge and trust, and turns not to the proud or to followers of false gods.
Many, O Lord my God, are the wonderful works which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; no one can compare with You! If I should declare and speak of them, they are too many to be numbered.
~Psalm 40:4-5 Amplified Bible


26 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Looks yummy!

MSM said...

We've always talked about making homemade ice cream; maybe this will prompt me to seriously do it. For the experience of it, if not for the ice cream. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd scream for some of that!! It looks great.

Nicole said...

Hi Renna! I came here from Debra's blog. That homemade ice cream looks delish. I just might have to try out that recipe. It sounds a lot healthier than store bought ice cream. Besides, nothing can beat homemade. Glad to "meet" you. I will be back to visit.

Nicole

cinnamongirl93 said...

I am still thinking about the peach ice cream. Now that some of my peaches are ripe I would really like to try this out. Only one problem. I don't own an ice cream maker!!!!

Eve said...

I knew that recipe would surface some day. My Mama used a recipe something like that one and it makes the best ice cream. I am going to copy that and give it a try. Although I will put figs and brown sugar on top of mine. xxxooo

Anonymous said...

I have never tried making ice cream with eggs before, but I have heard that it is THE way to go. Yours sounds so creamy and delicious! Save a scoop for me!

Shannon said...

You can't beat homemade ice cream! We have our ice cream bowl in the freezer all summer long- unless it is in use, of course :)

Susan said...

Hope all is well. It was good to hear from you.Thanks for the concern about my shoulder. It is still painful. The doctor gave me a shot mon.Hope it will help.Ice cream sounds good on these hot summer days.I love ice cream. Have a good weekend. God Bless.

Liz Harrell said...

YUM! But this will not help me with my diet. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Renna, this ice cream looks cool and refreshing. Funny, I didn't realize you put PEACHES on the ice cream, I thought it was PINEAPPLE, hence my dumb comment on my blog about your not raising pineapple. Yucka-yucka!

I remember sitting on my grandma Carter's ice cream maker while the other cousins took turns cranking the cream. MMMMM... grandma C. always made banana ice cream. Gosh I gotta have some.

Noodle said...

LOL! Pshaw. I was telling my DH just yesterday that peaches are real peaches unless they're topped with vanilla ice cream. :) Yuuuummm!

Anonymous said...

That sounds SO good! I'd love to have a taste of that!
Brenda

Debra said...

Oh Yum! This looks so good! Great pictures!
Love, Debra

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Yum! At least you posted on the correct day! You should have included "Garden Fresh" in there two more times. :P

Firefly Nights said...

Who cares if it's garden fresh if it's ice cream. We always need something good for after we've eaten all the garden things. This is great.

elizabeth said...

Oh this brings back such warm memories of making icecream at my great grandma's house. Of course that was back in the day when all the kids took turns hand cranking it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I should try this with my kids.

zakkalife said...

it's recipes like this that make me wish I wasn't lactose intolerant. I miss ice cream

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and wonderfully kind comments during this difficult time. Every word made and is making a difference as we begin this new journey.

Thank you so much for your words of comfort and blessing,
kari & kijsa

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Renna..
Please come to my blog I have two awards for you.

Hugz Lorie

Amy said...

Looks yummy! I used to make homemade ice cream until I started homeschooling. Might try to work it back into my crazy schedule...

MSM said...

I haven't made ice cream yet, but I've nominated you for a bloggy award!

http://mommysweetmom.blogspot.com/2008/08/very-rewarding.html

Smith Family said...

That looks wonderful..you know what..this reminds me..we have not made ice cream yet this summer. I will have to make a note of that and add it to the shopping list this week.

Paula said...

Uhhhh, I hope you SAVED ME SOME!!
I'm coming over with my Jethro spoon in hand!!!

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Renna,
Just dropping by to say helloooo!! *smile* Have a great weekend my sistah!

Hugz Lorie

Juri said...

Goodness, that ice cream looks wonderful...making me hungry!!!

Juri