Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Fought the Sloth, and the Sloth Lost

This has been my pace all winter. I can't blame snow or ice for slowing me down, as we had none. AT ALL. I'm still pouting about that. Seriously, though, I have felt like a total slug for months. My energy level was lower than a snake's belly. I felt like my get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. I've wondered if perhaps I've suffered from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

This was pretty much me. Well, actually, this is Putty Tat, but I think she was mocking me when this picture was taken.
Then something wonderful happened. The sun broke out, and Linda, the hilarious blogger at 2nd Cup of Coffee, issued this challenge.

Now, I may be lazy, but I am not one to back away from a challenge. She challenged her readers to do one simple thing, GET MOVING! For five days a week, 30 minutes per day, over the course of two weeks, we would commit to get our bodies moving. It could be exercising, walking the dogs, digging in the garden, or chasing the ice-cream truck around the neighborhood, as long as we got moving. There was no "D" word involved, though it was certainly okay to diet if we pleased. I didn't please.

I regularly walk the dogs, but the length of those walks varies. Sometimes I walk them ten minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, and occasionally not at all. In the colder months, I'd fallen into a habit of making the walks short, 'cause even though I've griped all winter about not getting any snow, the truth is, I don't really like to be cold.

Leyna looked up at me with that sweet little face, and asked, "please, Mommy, walk us 30 minutes each night". Well, what's a girl to do? I can't resist a face like that...unless she's begging for my last bite of popcorn. Oh, who am I kidding. It works on me then, too.

So I picked up Linda's gauntlet, strapped on the leashes, and hit the open road, or at least our neighborhood. Mr.Studley and Pepper came along, too, of course. With the exception of one particularly cold night this week, I managed to keep my commitment to do the 30 minute walk every day for two weeks, even on the weekends. For my gallant efforts, I've received the following award (me, and every other reader of Linda's who completed the course).

A very positive thing has happened to me in the course of these two weeks. I no longer feel like a slug. I'm not moving like a turtle. I no longer get mistaken for our fat cat. I have been energetic. I've accomplished some major spring cleaning, along with mucho decluttering. I'm enthused about keeping house again (did I just say that?).

I don't know if it was the regular exercising (and our dog walks are fast paced!), if I was indeed suffering from SAD which went away when spring arrived, or if it was a combination of the two. I just know, in the words of James Brown, I feel good!

Speaking of James, I only wish I could move like him. Check out his footwork in this video. Oh, and you can thank me later for getting this song stuck in your head.

****************************
I LOVE You fervently and devotedly, O Lord, my Strength.
The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; my God, my keen and firm Strength in Whom I will trust and take refuge, my Shield, and the Horn of my salvation, my High Tower.
~Psalm 18:1-2 Amplified Bible


41 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Good for you kickin' out the sloth! Would you mind comin' up here and givin' it the boot? My older sister says she has to turn around & kick herself in the seat. _giggles_ (She's lives in Pharr, TX.)

Love the critter pictures. :)
No way I'm gettin' that song stuck in my head. ;P
Have a great week!

Emily said...

Yay! You won a trophy! Congratulations on stepping up the energy level.

Kelly said...

GREAT JOB!!!!! WOW. That is just great. Move it!

Diane Meyer said...

My dogs keep me moving every day too. Well, And Linda, too. :-)
Yay for you!

Shannon said...

That's great! Yay for you! The lemur song from Madagascar has popped into my head now... I like to move it, move it. You like to move it, move it. We like to Move IT!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Good for you! I want to be excited about keeping house, but it hasn't quite kicked in yet.

Blessings each day said...

Hey Sissy or should I say Yeah Sissy?

Heck with the song and all, I've got Leyna's cute face burned in my mind and I want to smooch, smooch, smooch her...could you send her over here? Tinka would be in seventh heaven as her favorite playmate is a little Boston Terrier across the street!

Blessings always AND congratulations,

Marcy

cinnamongirl93 said...

Good girl! I'm sure the 30 minutes per day helped give you the feel good feeling that you are having. I know that it releases endorphins that release a sense of well being. It's a natural pain reliever. Pretty cool.

WhiteStone said...

Yep, exercise puts "feel good" into your brain. That's why some get addicted to running..they get a 'runner's high' and if they skip a day they go bohnkers. LOL. But I think spring also energizes. You should read my blog today about putting mountain lions at bay! I was so surprised to read your title cause it could have been mine!

Joansie said...

Gosh, will you send some of that energy my way! Congrats on your commitment. As for SAD...Vermont is the second cloudiest state in the U.S....not much for sunshine!

Paula said...

Yay! Good for you!
I too have been very sluggish this winter... more so than I ever remember. Maybe I've had SAD too.
But when the warm sunshine pokes through and the spring breezes are blowing, I gotta be outside!
Thank you very much for the tune- now I'll be singing this while I mow the yard!

My Open Nest said...

So this award proves your get-up-and-go came back, and I'm happy for you. I've been right there with you. It's amazing how quickly we feel the results of moving. See I didn't even use the word ex...... well, you know what I mean.

I'm proud of you and I know your puppies and Mr. S. are happier campers too.

Nancy said...

Bravo! I am proud of you. :o)

My doctor threw the same challenge at me on Tuesday: get moving at least 30 minutes a day. I don't have any four-legged pals, so it will be just me pounding the pavement. :o( I hope I stay as committed as you.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Congrats for completing the challenge and kicking that slog to the curb. Cute dogs:)

MSM said...

I've been participating in 2nd cup's challenge, and fortunately I know from past 'bursts of energy' how much it will pay off . . . but this last week and then some, I have been d r a g g i n g. It might be because our weather is 72 degrees one day and in the 30s the next, and back and back with that.

I don't even want to have to figure out how to get dressed in the morning!

Stacey said...

WOW! I am so impressed. And motivated. Truly, I am. I am going to do the same thing as you... 30 minutes a day, right? That's great! I wonder if Rosebud would come on a leash? Uh, no, didn't think so!

Sue said...

That's great for you and the pooch. Keep up the good work.

Kitty said...

I'd like to feel enthused about cleaning the house too ... but I have no dog to walk. Do you think the cat would mind if I put a lead on her and dragged her round the neighbourhood for a couple of weeks?

x

Beverlydru said...

I rose to the challenge too and I'm glad I did! I feel better too. In fact, I feel good, like I knew that I would. LOL - thanks for the video celebration. A pleasure to meet you Reena.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, how I need to do this myself. My back aches and I feel a hundred years old. Yet why do I resist getting myself out and about? I don't know. That sweet dog makes me laugh every time. Lucky Pepper too!
Brenda

Angela Nazworth said...

That is excellent!! Congrats to you!

Carol said...

You crack me up.

Good for you on not only taking on that challenge but accomplishing it!!!!!!

FYI: I refuse to watch the video for I know myself and it would be stuck there for days!!! LOL

Tipper said...

Yay for you!! Sometimes we need a challenge to get us off the couch :) Glad you're feeling more energized. Love love James Brown-who couldn't!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

3 cheers for Renna! I must concur. I have forced myself to 'get busy' and I am sleeping better and feeling better. It is the spring cleaning and yard work for me. I'll be so happy when winter is really over! I'm tired of having cold feet.....

nikkicrumpet said...

YAY you! I'm glad you've gotten your energy back. And I bet the dogs are THRILLED with this challenge! And I bet they even feel more energetic too!

Aunt Kathy said...

Bravo Renna... and I chuckled about the "I choose not to" comment about the D word

Amy said...

I'm so proud of you!

I've felt the same way this winter - total lack of energy, no motivation...and then spring arrived!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You are so right on about getting out there. It lifts the soul. Hey - I think I'll get out there.

Suzan said...

I'm "anonymous" in the comment above. Must have hit the enter key too quickly

nannisandi said...

Well done you...it's so hard to get up and go after a lomg winter. I am doing the D thing in time for our holiday and need to move as well as eat better.Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

Unknown said...

Putty Tat... chuckle... I LOVE that name!

Good for you that you are walking every day. I really am happy to read that.

I bike every day and a day not biked makes me feel bah...

Keep it up with the walking!!!

Renna said...

Tea, I'm cracking up at your older sister's kicking herself in the seat comment! ;-Þ

Shannon, I've yet to see Madagascar. It's on my list of movies to see. :-)


Whitestone, I agree, I think spring does energize all of God's creation!

Aw, come on, Carol, you know you wanta watch it. I feel good, da da da da da da!

Nancy, Putty Tat was a result of no one in the family being able to agree on a name for our new cat. We decided to call her Putty Tat until we came up with a name, which we obviously never did. ;-Þ

Sarah said...

Hi Renna! My mom (Bev) talks about you often--I think you're the one who turned her on to knitting dishcloths, maybe? Then I saw your comment on her Easter post and figured you live in Texas, too! So I just wanted to stop in and say hi!

(And I read once that exercise is better at defeating depression and anxiety than even medication. I don't know if that's true of not, but it sounds like it worked!)

Anyway, hi! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Now Renna, this IS fun! yes it is! We are going to hold each other accountable, and we are doing this for 2 weeks. Glad you're in!

 Cha said...

Good for you!

David and I walk around the town lake while Aaron kayaks around.
It's fun to watch him while we walk. Patty dog stays home. She might try to jump in the lake after her boy. :)

Brooke said...

Good for you for moving on! :) I guess sometimes we have to get up and MOVE to shake the lazys out of us. I should heed that advice myself. Oh, dear. I fear you may have motivated me. And the couch is so comfy....

Unknown said...

Renna, GOOD FOR YOU!!! I am so glad you have rediscovered your energy.

Robin said...

Well Renna, I'm so happy for you! That is just awesome. Keep it up girl!

Isle Dance said...

Jackpot!!! I was your 4,000th visitor (on your profile page) just now!!! Wee!!! (Thanks so much for being here!)

Have you thought about trying green smoothies to add energy to your day?! If so, check out www.greensmoothiechallenge.org and sign up for their free 14 day newsletter/email thingy. Lots of great info will come to you for free from them, if you're interested. :o)

elizabeth said...

YAY - good for you! I kept it up too and it has really made a difference.

I FINALLY have a computer up and running again, so I'll be around more. And I see on your post that Linda's doing it again so I am off to sign up again. Luckily yesterday and today I did my 30 so I can jump in already caught up!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Excellent post, Renna! I'm joining you and making it an effort to do something out of the ordinary. I'm committing to you but don't tell anyone else! lol

I'll report back here next Wednesday. I hope I remember. If I forget and YOU remember, feel free to BUST MY CHOPS!