Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 19th, A Day of Remembrance





April 19, 1985 Drowning death of my late husband, John, in a scuba diving accident at Possum Kingdom Lake, Palo Pinto County, Texas. Many people's lives were affected by the tragedy of that day. His children, wife, mother, siblings, in-laws, co-workers, neighbors, and good friends were all affected in some way by his sudden eviction from this world. Life did go on, but for those of us suffering the loss of this one person, it was never quite the same.

April 19, 1993 The Waco Siege. The Mount Carmel Center at the Branch Davidian Ranch in Waco, Texas, went up in flames. Seventy-six people, including more than 20 children and two pregnant women, died in that fire. A grave tragedy which affected the lives of so many people. No doubt, survivors of the victims still bear the pain and scars of their loss that day.

April 19, 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. A terrorist attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building created an explosion that took the lives of 168 people, including 19 children and three pregnant women, and left over 800 injured. Prior to the terrorist attack of 9/11, this was the deadliest act of terror against the U.S. on American soil. It is hard to imagine the number of people who were, and continue to be, adversely affected by the tragic losses of that day.

April 19, 2009 I pray for peace this day. I pray that those who walk in unforgiveness would realize they must forgive to be forgiven. I pray that the hearts of God's people would turn toward Him, their Creator. I pray we would recognize Him as the Loving Daddy He is, and not as a harsh judge who is often blamed for the tragedies mankind has brought on himself. He longs to pull His children into His arms, just as a good and loving earthly father would with his own children. I wouldn't give for the relationship I have with Him. I don't blame Him for the tragedies that have occurred in my own life, but I do thank Him for helping me through them. He is real. He is alive. He is the same today, yesterday, and forever.
The photos were taken by my son on a visit to the Oklahoma City bombing site memorial.


*******************************************************
If My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves, pray, seek, crave, and require of necessity My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.
~II Chronicles 7:14 Amplified Bible

30 comments:

Joansie said...

Renna, I wish you a day of peace and comfort on a day when so many emotions are returned to the surface.

Amy said...

Praying with you and for you today...

Karen said...

Such a somber day of remembrance. I will keep you in my prayers today, Renna.

Carol said...

(((RENNA))) I'm sorry you lost your husband. I can barely imagine such a loss. Then to have his death date be piled upon with other tragedies is hard to comprehend. I pray along side you for peace on this day.

Renna said...

My pain over the loss of my late husband has long since dissipated. I do get introspective on these days, thinking of the 'what if's?', knowing the outcome of my children's lives would have been very different. Please don't feel sorry for me, though.

I can't imagine how those who lost their children or their parents in those other tragedies have dealt with it, though. Hopefully, they know God as Father and Comforter.

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna

Was thinking of you this morning and all the kind and encouraging comments you have left during my surgery. Now in return I want you to know that I am praying for you in your time of Remembrance. You indeed are a special lady. Blessings to you my friend.

Smiles...

Beverly

Tins and Treasures said...

Renna, I am thinking about you today too, about the loss you felt so many years ago.
And one more event for the list...
Several years ago, on this date, there was a terrible plane crash in South Dakota that killed our govenor, George Mickelson. There were others on the plane that lost their lives too. He was well liked by most.
This is my Sister-in-law's birthday...so we will have a little celebration later today.
Take care ~Natalie

tipper said...

Beatutiful post! I wish you and your family a day of peace-along with the whole world!

Mary said...

With so many tragic events on this date, you can't forget. Can you? Your post really spoke to me. I lost my husband in 2005. I hope I can get to where you are. I'm just hoping to get to the point where I don't forget, but it gets easier to remember.

Lulu said...

I wish a beautiful and peaceful day for you and your family..
hugs,

marcy said...

Hi Renna,

You are in my prayers in a special way today.

I lost my beloved husband on my daughter-in-law's birthday, in fact Mario had wrapped her gifts for me the day before! June 6th is now always a bittersweet day, but Mario would have wanted it to have a happy memory as well.

Your son took great pictures.

many sweet blessings on you,
marcy

Claudia said...

I'm so sorry. I sort of understand your feelings. My sister died on September 11, a year before the towers were attacked. I can barely breathe on that day.

You have my heart and my prayers.

*hugs*

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh, dear friend, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. I will offer prayer today that you somehow find comfort on this day.....

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm originally from Oklahoma. I lived fifteen miles from that. An astonishing loss for all. I'm so very sorry about your husband's tragic death.
Brenda

vikki said...

hi sweetie ~ i finally got the comment section to come up, otherwise i was gonna e-mail you. think of my blog*friends all the time & always in my prayers. so sorry this date has so many reminders for you. may God wrap His loving arms around you in peace & understanding. had to be a God thing we wrote each other today! hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Tracy Batchelder said...

The fact that the pain you felt over your husband's death has dissipated and you are happy again gives me courage to face whatever hurtful event is ahead in my life.

Sandy said...

Sorry to be a day late for this special day of remembrance. Wonderful pictures. I love your quote from RLS, and find it rings so true.

Taking some time this am, the first I've been able to in quite some (due to the numbers of hours spent at the hospital before Mom passed), to visit some of the good folks following me.

Sandy

MSM said...

This post is a perfect example of why I love your blog, your writing; your inspiration and insight. I'm sorry you've suffered, but so grateful that you know peace and hope and are willing to share with the rest of us.

I'm copying and printing your prayer to reread and remind.

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Renna,

Thanks for sharing that with us!

We love your site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Girl Raised in the South said...

Praying that the Lord will lift the weight of that day from you, leaving behind His peace.

Melony at Whimsy Daisy! said...

Renna, what a post! Such deep feeling and depth and TRUTH. I thank you for each word.

AlisonH said...

My brother was on the subway in Manhattan but was spared on 9/11. My cousin was a block down the street and saw both planes hit and he, too, was one of the lucky ones.

My heart goes out to you in your loss of your husband, no matter when it was, and I am grateful for the strength of your faith.

Stacey said...

Renna, what a lovely, meaningful post. I love your prayer at the end. Blessings to you... Stacey

Paula said...

Oh my goodness.... what a wonderful and beautiful remembrance.
Hugs to you, my sweet friend.

Renna said...

Claudia, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you each year when September 11th rolls around. (((hug)))

cinnamongirl93 said...

Your post made me stop and think of all of those events. I continue to pray for the family and friends.
that were affected.
I am in total agreement with your prayer. Well said!

Gigi said...

My goodness Renna, I had no idea so many sad things had taken place on this day.
God bless you for remembering and hope your own personal loss has healed over the years.

Debra said...

Renna, This was a very touching post-my prayers are with you-but I love how you show that there is always hope-with Him.
Love, Debra

Renna said...

Thank you, Gigi, and yes, my loss has healed.

Teri said...

I love you friend :)