Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blogger Newbie, or Blogger Wannabe?

Tulips from my daughter's yard this week.
Do you want to start a blog? Or maybe you have one, but you feel it could use improvement. I learned about a great, free resource online for those (like moi) who need a little help with this blogging thing. In the little over a year that I've been blogging, I've learned a lot through trial and error, but I still have so much to learn.
Michelle Mitchell, better known as Scribbit, from the blog Scribbit~Motherhood in Alaska, has written an ebook for new bloggers, or those who want to improve their blogs. Whether your desire is to start a blog, or improve the one you've got, Michelle's book can help. I began reading it yesterday, and have already learned some helpful ideas for my blog, such as the excerpt below, which she did give me permission to quote here:
"When you link to another site, remember that it's a symbiotic relationship-if you do your lnks properly not only will it help the other blogs you link to, but it will help you as well.

The search engines not only count your inbound links, they also notice your outbound links, and rather than say "click here" or using someone's first names as a link, try to get into the habit of using their site name for the actual link. This builds recognition for their blog, encourages people to click on the link, and it gets you points with the search engines-a perfect win/win situation."
Sheer wisdom, I tell you! I'm anxious for some free time to sit down and read the rest of the book. You can download it to your computer (for FREE) from her site, Scribbet~Motherhood in Alaska, or you can download it from Amazon to a digital reader like Kindle, for a mere $.88. She shares that link on her blog. I am so appreciative of Michelle, and others like her who are willing to give of their time and effort to share their knowledge with those in need (like moi!).

The teeny speck in yellow is my daughter, Nikki, enjoying their first truly warm day this spring. This is the backyard of their home in Harrogate. How I wish I could hop a plane tonight and be sitting there with her tomorrow! Oh, well, it will happen next year, likely.

Yup, after being on her feet chasing one year old's all day (which she LOVES), she was enjoying kicking back on their patio the other night.

Some fresh blooms I enjoyed from my own yard last week. I love fresh flowers indoors...and outdoors!
Posted by Picasa
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of singing has come,
And the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
~Song of Solomon NKJV 2:12

28 comments:

Joansie said...

Thanks for the info, Renna. I'll have to read up on that.

Your daughter has a lovely patio. Does she have time to knit out there?

Love those flowers. I won't see those in Vermont for weeks yet.

Carol said...

Great photos. I LOVE that tulip photo!! And those pink blossoms are beautiful! I hope you get to see your baby soon.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

That's one of the main reasons why Kel and I changed some things on the Swap, to make it more search engine friendly and changing the "click here" things to key words. It's excellent advice!

elizabeth said...

When your blog opened up to that beautiful tulip photo I knew it was going to be a great day. :)

Thanks for the tip on finding the ebook. Doesn't matter how long any of us have been doing this blogging thing, we can always use advice. I'll be downloading that today.

magnoliasntea said...

Oh my goodness, those are beautiful tulips, and I love the cut ones, too.

I would go check out the blogger info, but I'm just afraid it would ruin my routine. See, I have this daily plan: Get in, vent and get out. I'm sure you understand. _giggles_

Scribbit said...

Oh how beautiful your green space looks! The tree is gorgeous--we're still waiting for the snow to finish with us here.

And thank you very much for the link!

Amy said...

The e-book looks great - I'm printing it out!

Is Harrogate in Great Britain? It looks so English :-)

nikkicrumpet said...

Love the spring flowers...I'm anxious for ours to start blooming! Thanks for the tips on the blog things. I'm guilty of doing the "click here" thing...I'm gonna be a good girl from now on and type out the whole blog name! Thanks for the tips and the link!

Tipper said...

Your Daughter looks like she is happy-and that is good!! I hope you do get to visit with her soon-sooner than next year.

Thanks for the info on the blog-e-book. When I do my round up of commenters each month-that was my thought behind linking to each person-that it would help their search engine rating. Hopefully it does!

Kristyn Knits said...

Thanks for the blogging information. Another thing you've given me to do this weekend! :)

Renna said...

Carol, thank you. I find myself gazing at the tulip picture over and over again. Nikki's boyfriend is quite handy with the camera!

Tea, I cracked up at your "get in, vent, and get out" comment! ;-Þ

Anonymous said...

Thank for the blogging link...think my blog is a bit jaded so I could use some tips. Love your pictures.

Renna said...

Nannisandi, I think your blog is darling as it is. I love the pics of your adorable grandsons! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Renna..was just checking if you had updated..Looks like you have done alot to your Blog...I need to give mine a facelift...LOL
Love the pics..That tulip is awesome..Take care and have a great weekend.
Hugs:)
Jen

Debra said...

Hi Renna,
I will check that blog link-I love all the help I can get too-you helped me so much!!
Your flower photos are so nice-I love seeing the pink fluffy ones.
~Debra

Gigi said...

Hi Renna,

Thanks for the tips -- not so easy for old girls like me to keep up with all that 'stuff'!

Renna said...

Gigi, I think I just barely made it in on this computer age, myself. It's all a struggle for me, whereas the youngers seem to take to it like a duck to water. ;-)

Brenda Pruitt said...

Wonderful information! I try to make sure my links work properly. But we depend on our visitors too to tell us if something is amiss! I shall check out her blog.
Brenda

Tracy Batchelder said...

I hope you get to take your trip next year. Your daughter has a lovely home. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

the flowers on the sink side are so pretty. i love bridal veil. we used to have one out front and I miss it so much.
the weather has warmed up so much. we have thunderstorms, green grass, asparagus and hoping for morels to be found by some generous neighbor.
I am curious. where does your daughter live--abroad?

Karen said...

Great information on blogging, Renna. I'll be sure to check it out.

Harrogate! It just sounds so . . . English! And lovely! How nice it would be for you to visit your daughter there.

Liz Harrell said...

Very interesting blog info, I'll have to read more into that today. And what a beautiful stone patio! I'm so jealous! :)

Beverlydru said...

Enjoyed this post and photos. I'll have to go look up where Harrogate is. Your daughter is lovely. I also LOVE the scripture from the Song of Solomon.

Debra said...

Renna, I was so happy to use the info you graciously gave me about linking to older posts on my blog-thank you again!! I admit I don't know how to have two windows up yet-I think it has something to do with ctrl and 't' to make a tab, but I kept getting a blank page for the second tab. After a few tries, I did get the idea and it worked! I was thrilled!
Love, Debra

Lulu said...

i love flowers also..I also love plants..
have a great day..

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna!

Have I told you lately just how special you are...and indeed you are! :o) Thank you so much for all of your prayers, kind words and encouragement. I am feeling so much better! I am so happy our paths crossed, a good thing!! :o) Thank you so much!

Smiles...

Beverly

tea time and roses said...

It is me again! Thank you so much for the information and I will be visiting the site soon! :o)

Smiles...

Paula said...

Oooh- the tulips are so pretty.. and Nikki's back yard is paradise!

I'm still learning as I go with this blog thing... bad thing is, when I do learn something new, I've forgotten it ten minutes later!