Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summertime Recipe-Taco Salad

Melanie, over at Big Mama, is wilting in the Texas summer heat. She's sent out pleas for summertime recipes for those wishing to help out a girl in need. If you decide to post your own summertime recipe on your blog, be sure and sign the Mr.Linky on Big Mama's blog so others can come see your's!

I have no pictures to share, but one of my favorite summer (and fall and winter and spring) dishes is Taco Salad. Mmm...the very mention of it sets my mouth to watering. It's a simple enough dish, not really needing a recipe, but for anyone who maybe just woke up from a lifelong coma and hasn't heard of it, here's the scoop.

*******************

Taco Salad

  • salad-make your own with the fixins' your family prefers, or buy a bag of premade salad from your grocery store
  • ground beef (I prefer extra lean for lower fat content; or you can use ground turkey or ground chicken)
  • taco seasoning package-1 package per each pound of beef you cook (or find a recipe online to make your own and eliminate those pesky preservatives)
  • kidney beans-drained (matter of preferance, if your family likes them)
  • Kraft Catalina Salad Dressing
  • Frito's
  • salsa
  • shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef, then drain off the fat. The amount of meat you cook is up to you. I usually cook two pounds so we have leftovers for the next day.

Follow directions on taco seasoning packet to make taco meat

For each serving, on a dinner plate, or in a large shallow bowl, place 1-2 cups of salad, depending on your appetite (we go for the big helpings around here)

Place about 1/3-1/2 cup taco meat, or desired amount on top of salad

Spoon a few spoonfuls of kidney beans on top, unless you don't like them

Add a small handful of frito's

Sprinkle on desired amount of cheddar cheese

Squirt on desired amount of salad dressing

Spoon on a few tablespoons salsa, or amount you prefer

Stir it together with your fork, and dive in!

********************

The neat thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to fit your family's tastes. Alot of people mix everything together in one big bowl, then dip out servings from it. I don't do it that way because we like to have leftovers. Once you've mixed the ingredients all together, if it's not all eaten in that meal, it will get soggy when refrigerated.

By keeping the ingredients in separate containers, you can easily save the leftovers; plus, if you have picky eaters in your house, each person can customize their salad to fit their tastes.

****

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

~Leviticus 19:18 NIV

15 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

yummmmmmmmmm I love taco salad! Our first bell pepper is just about ready to pick.!!!!! Yahoooooooo!!! I can't wait till that day!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite recipes-my sister-n-law makes it and I love it!

Anonymous said...

I have eaten something very similar to this and I loved it! It is that time of year to make things that don't require an oven!

Thanks for the link about the fabric store and the sweet, sweet words in the last post. You put a smile in my heart today!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Sounds good. I need to make this soon--minus the chips and salad dressing for an even lower fat version.

The Momster said...

Oh this is one of my favorite dishes! I used to work with this lady who would make it for us all the time...yummy yummy!

Jamie said...

Love this! It's a big hit at our house too. I think I'll add it to the menu real soon.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Oh Yah! Yummy recipe. I have never tried it with the salad dressing. Hmm, sounds interesting. We normally put salsa and sour cream on top of ours.

Free Art Printables said...

Oh, this sounds so good and refreshing.I might have to try this one out on the kids!
Thanks for sharing. Jen R

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds so good!

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

I love Taco Salad! Yum!

Juri said...

This sounds like a winner! I definitely am going to try it. Thanks you for sharing!

Juri

Debra said...

Hi Renna,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I've meant to write you sooner than this. I guess this comment is off the topic, but here I am, at the computer for 15 minutes(I'm timing it because I really want to be here all day!) so I thought I'd drop in. I'm adding you to my blogroll. I love to knit too. Haven't done anything in a while, but the yarn is right out there, tempting me. Too many things to do!!! I've got a nice gazpacho recipe that takes no cooking, and actually makes you feel cooler. I'll post it soon. Debra

Claudia said...

Hubby and I used to make that all the time, but it's been ages since we've had it. I don't know why. I should surprise him by making it again! Thanks! :)

Dana said...

Sounds so yummy. I love taco salad and will be giving this version a try soon. Thanks for sharing!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I think my all time favorite food is a taco salad. This one sounds sooooo good with the dressing and all. Thanks for posting!!!! I think this is on my menu for this week as I'm wilting away here in Florida, too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your concern and prayers! it means all the world to me!