Sunday, June 22, 2008

Just Another Sunday

Mr.Studley and I each got up feeling stiff and achy this morning. In an effort to deny old age's attempt to latch it's label upon us, we headed out to the lake this afternoon and took a fast walk. It was hot, not horribly hot, but hot enough, and humid.
We took along Leyna, who's always up for a road trip. Since we'd left the house rather impulsively, we didn't think to take along a water bowl for her. By the time we finished our jaunt and headed back to the truck, she was showing signs of distress. We had tried to get her to lap water from the lake, but as tough as she usually acts, she was a complete wuss when it came to getting near the lake water. She was having no part of it. It was downright comical to watch her when a wave lapped up towards her. She shot away from it like a bullet.
Here she is with her tongue hanging out, right before I took her into the restroom and let her drink water out of my cupped hands. I splashed water on her face and back to cool her down some. On our drive to the lake, she never took her eyes off the road. On our drive back home, she never opened her eyes. She came home and took a two hour nap, poor tired doggie.
My son had been fishing all day and brought us a whole mess of bass. They were cleaned, filleted, and ready to be cooked. I baked some potatoes in the oven, then fried up a pan full of hushpuppies, along with the fish. We all had our fill, and there's enough to be reheated for our lunches tomorrow. What a blessing! It was a tasty meal to end a good day!

Posted by Picasa
In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
~I Thessalonians 5:18

14 comments:

Kimmie said...

Hi Renna (hug)
What a nice day and what a wonderful catch your son brought home!

I am so excited I wanted to share my joy with you...a friend of mine set up with a friend of hers who knows how to knit socks...a date for me to come and have this girl teach me. Honestly, I had almost given up hope...after 2 years of asking God and everyone else if they knew how to do it. I attempted it a few times, but now will have someone to walk me through it. YEAH!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

MSM said...

That food looks sooooooooooooo good; but I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if someone showed up with fish for me to cook. And I certainly couldn't just "whip up" some hushpuppies. I'm jealous, as usual. : )

Hope Leyna got to enjoy some of the home-cooked goodness!

Tracy Batchelder said...

That's a pretty lake! Good old heat and humidity--there's nothing like it. :) Sounds like you two faired better than the dog. Did you feel any younger after your walk?

Nice catch of fish. What a treat!

Debra said...

Hi Renna!
I'm enjoying your blog and the awesome pictures. Leyna is a beautiful dog-what kind is she? I'm working on the dill bread-it's rising right now as I type- so pictures and recipe will be posted today on my blog.Hope it looks as good as your fish and hush puppies! Love, Debra

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Oh, I know just what you need!! You need a portable dog bowl to keep in your car. Like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/53jlsw

I have one and love it!!

Iris Godfrey said...

Your post almost makes me miss Texas. I did say "almost." Not really. I might just do up some hush puppies in the next few days. I do miss those.

Paula said...

Oh my... deep fried fish fillets and HOME MADE hush puppies?!!
Be still my heart!!

Ahem... why was I not invited?

kat449 said...

MMMMM Yummy Renna, I can smell it from here.
homemade hushpuppies, man your just showin off now! Im sooo envious...
What awesome pics and your baby is adoreable. we keep a frisbee in the car...no...not to play with but to drink from...
so happy you dropped by, Ive been sooo busy, but busy means blessed right?... RIGHT???? Love ya, Kat

cinnamongirl93 said...

Sounds like a fun day. I'm sure you forgot all about your stiffness as the day wore on.
I'm not a fish kind of girl but I do admitt, it looks like a great meal. BTW can you send me some of those homemade hushpuppies? I just adore those!

Dana said...

Yum!!

Free Art Printables said...

Hi Renna, thanks for stopping by.. I love that quote too and am glad I could use it. Nothing like a little adventure...;) Love that dog! Jen R

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Poor Leyna! What a workout! The fish/hush puppies look delicious!

Anonymous said...

We did the exact same thing with our Ruby-but luckily she wasn't afraid to drink from the lake. The fish look scrumptous!

Claudia said...

oh my gosh does that meal look delish!!!!!

And poor Leyna! She's adorable. So glad she was able to catch up on her beauty sleep after her time out with you in that hot, humid weather. :)