Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Who Wears Short Shorts?

My mom wore short shorts. This was taken around 1956 or '57. I think she was adorable. She had really nice legs. Even now, at 77, she has nice looking legs.  No varicose veins, no wrinkling, no sagging of skin.  White enough to make you grab your sun shades, but nice.  I remember one time when she was in her early 50's, she commented that she rarely had to shave her legs anymore. I was shocked.  I was also excited, thinking "well, there should be some rewards to growing older". Trouble is, she didn't bother telling me  those hairs that quit growing on your legs have to find some place to come out. I'd rather have leg hair than chin hair any day of the week!

I was about a year old when the Royal Teens recorded "Who Wears Short Shorts?". Not that I remembered the year, or even the name of the group, but I do remember singing that song with friends when I was a little girl, as we danced around the yard in our short shorts, thinking we were hot stuff.

I love this video. Get a load of the lack of expression on the girl's face, on all their faces for that matter. Not sure if they were that emotionless, or just trying to look super cool.  I'm figuring the latter. Watch it and see if the song doesn't get stuck in your head.  But first, scroll over to the right and pause my music player. Not sure Kiss From a Rose playing simulatneously with Who Wears Short Shorts would make for pretty music.



I  also love this picture of Nikki. She looks so relaxed and happy. She was taking her vacation days, and though she loves her job working with small children, she was enjoying just hanging out with the fam.

She drove down in October and went camping with us. Nikki, my son, John, my mom & her husband, Mr.Studley & I, our Min Pin Leyna, and Nikki's chocolate lab all in our 5th wheel. It sleeps plenty, but that doesn't mean plenty actually sleep!  It was fun, though. One night Nikki, John, and I stayed awake long after the others watching some silly dvd and giggling like 5 year olds. I can't remember the last time we had that much fun together. Even my son's flatulence was giving us the giggles, and trust me, there's nothing really funny about John's flatulence..

The older I get, the more my memory fails me. By staying away from blogging so long, I managed to forget a lot that I'd learned about it. Add to that, there's been changes around here in bloggerville. She's done gone and gussied herself up a bit since I was here last.  I used to run hollering to my friend, Marilyn, at A Mixed Bouquet whenever  I needed help with my blog. She helped me set it up, and installed the design stuff for me, but Marilyn's got her hands full these days, having gone back to college to get her nursing degree.  Don't expect anything fancy schmancy around here, as I'm just not smart enough to pull it off. I am happy for Marilyn, though, and so proud of her!

Nothing earth shattering  going on around here. I've not even been knitting. What a slump I've been in; just can't seem to get started on anything. Last year, Mr.Studley had a hernia operation, which seemed to go fine until the incision area got infected about a month after the surgery. In & out of the ER, a stint in the hospital, and a couple visits per week to the doctor for a few weeks (won't gross you out telling you what took place there with a really big needle), and he's finally back to normal. Well, all except for his belly button, which doesn't look normal at all now.

In other news, my son, John graduated from his Paramedic course (yea!). He still has to take his state test, which I know he'll ace.  Mr.Studley is almost fully retired, and we enjoy our days together. We've fit into a comfortable routine,  only occasionally getting on each others nerves; and really, I can't even remember the last time that happened.  I'm blessed by God, and I know it. He love me, and He loves you, too!

I'm reading  Joyce Meyer's new book, "Living Beyond Your Feelings", which I got for Christmas. I'm not too far into it, but already I've learned things I know will help me in my life. That's my idea of a good book, one that helps me make changes for the good. Who doesn't have room for improvement?

If you're reading this post, you probably had me in your google reader, or whatever reader you use. I want you to know I'm happy you came by. My post is short, but I'm going to try and ease back into blogging. I don't have much to say, but I remember back when I blogged regularly, the excited feeling I got when someone left me a comment.  Isn't that funny, how excited we can get by the comments of  strangers?  Of course, some of you aren't strangers, at least not anymore, as I got to know you back then. I pray your life is going well, and that you find joy in each day.  Be blessed!

Mike, Leyna, Nikki, & Macy at Beavers Bend State Park, Broken Bow, OK

Posted by Picasa

"Words are containers for power, and as such they have a direct effect on our emotions"
~Joyce Meyer, excerpted from "Living Beyond Your Feelings"


A Man has joy in making an apt answer, and a word spoken at the right moment-how good it is!
Proverbs 15:23 Amplified Bible


6 comments:

Bobbie said...

Hi Renna! I was excited to see that you posted!! Haha.. that camping trip sounds like you had a lot of fun.
I loved when Nikki was leaving updates on your facebook page. We didn't know what to expect next from her. You two must have a blast together.. And I LOVE her hair!!
Have you ever read a book called 'Don't sweat the Small Stuff'? That too, is a great self help book. I've read it a few times and thinking it might be time to go over it again...
Have a great day!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Welcome back!
~Tracy

Renna said...

Bobbi, maybe I need to have Nikki come do guest posts on my facebook wall from time to time, lol. ;-)

I've not read the book you mentioned, but maybe I need to consider that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Renna said...

Tracy, thank you, it's good to be back. I'm really going to try and keep this up this go around. :-)

Paula said...

Poor Mr. Studley! Hope he's doing better now....
Love the picture of your mom and the story of your family staying in the "R-V."
(Say it like Randy Quaid in Christmas Vacation. *grin*)

Karen said...

Renna, it's so good to see that you're blogging again! I love these newsy "catch up" posts. Some of my best times with my family were when we went camping together. Your daughter is beautiful. What a lovely picture.