Thursday, July 1, 2010

Issues of the Heart


Baby Moccasins by Whitney Van Nes raveled here

I know it seems I've given up on my blog. I hope I haven't. I don't want to give it up, but I can't seem to make myself sit down and write anymore. Could I have run out of anything to say? I talk to myself all the time, but even I haven't found myself all that interesting lately.

John & Nikki, waiting for her flight at DFW, to fly home to England

Thinking back to when I first began writing this blog, I didn't have much to say then, either. In fact, when I read my earlier posts, I cringe with embarrassment at the things I rambled on about. Stupid stuff, really, really dumb stuff, like my dog's favorite toy. Did I seriously think anyone would find that of interest? Not likely, but I think I had to find my voice. It took me awhile, but I was getting there about the time I stopped writing. Now, I'm out of the practice of blogging and it seems I am once again in search of my voice. Don't worry, there'll be no more posts about my dog's favorite toys. Dog pictures are a different story.

Since I last wrote, we've had more than our share of heart issues in our household. Leyna, my beloved little Min Pin contracted heart worms. The reason? I didn't have her on regular heartworm meds. I honestly wasn't aware of how serious the risk was. The vet said she likely got them last fall. It was a rough and painful experience. One week at the vet's, five more weeks of being crated, six weeks of not getting walked or being allowed to play, and $550 in expense kind of rough. Heart worms are a serious threat to your dog's health, and according to my vet, all states now face that threat. I'm happy to say that Leyna seems to be fully recovered, and will now always receive her regular heartworm preventive meds.

The other heart issue was in the form of Mr.Studley's mitral valve needing to be repaired. When he went in for the surgery, we knew there was a chance it would have to be replaced. Being repaired is a much better option for the patient, but not always possible. Fortunately for us, his surgeon has a 95% success rate at being able to repair damaged valves. We know God directed us to him. Mr. S came through the procedure with flying colors. Other than a smallish sideways V scar on his right breast, there's little evidence that he went through such a surgery. And might I just say that the Baylor Heart Hospital in Plano, Texas is AWESOME! Seriously, if a person must have a heart procedure done, then that's the place to do it. The hospital is designed like a hotel, a 5 star hotel at that. Patients are considered guests, and their 'rooms' are 'suites'. Patients go directly from recovery to their suite, where family members are allowed to join them shortly after. No limited visits in an ICU room, like in most hospitals. Their room, or I should say suite is their ICU. The suite includes a comfortable area for family members to be there with them, around the clock if they desire. I could go on for paragraphs about that hospital, it was that impressive.

Mike & Nikki, as we were leaving the hospital

So, as you can see, we've had a bit of out-of-the-ordinary going on around here in the past few months. My daughter, Nikki, did fly home from England for the week of her dad's surgery. We rented a hotel adjacent to the hospital. My son also took off work that week and joined us. We had a lot of fun, and they kept me laughing almost nonstop. I had complete peace about Mr.Studley. I knew He was in God's protective hands.

I'll be back. Really, I will.

Nikki and Leyna, summer 2010

For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.

~Romans 12:3 Amplified Bible

13 comments:

Joansie said...

Glad your hubbies surgery went so well.

I miss you when I don't see your blog/post or comment. So, do stay in touch.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've always found your writing style to be interesting, no matter what the subject. You write honestly from your heart, like you're talking to your best friend. That's why we all love your blog and you.

So glad your husband's surgery went well and that you got to spend time with your children.

magnoliasntea said...

Oh cool, Renna posted!!!!!!!!!
Like all your other fans - I always feel I am royally entertained by your clever writings.
Hey, think you're just needing a really good break, and I don't blame you one bit 'cause we all need a good 'un now and then. Love the family pictures.

nannisandi said...

Hey, haven't checked in for ages BUT to-night I thought"I'll just pop by and see if Renna's in" and ....there you are!! Good to have you back & that Mr S is feeling better. As you may have noticed(or not!)I haven't posted for ages. Like you, I have run out of things to say but I WILL BE BACK!!!

Lasso the Moon said...

This is sweet. Hope things level out for you soon. Happy Independence Day!
Anna

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna!

A sweet post indeed! Wanted to drop by to wish you and your family a lovely 4th of July!

Smiles....

Beverly

Debra said...

Oh Renna-you've been on my heart too! I'm so glad I checked to see if you'd posted. I was actually quite surprised to see you had! I couldn't wait to come here!
So sorry about all the concerns you've had-but I'm so glad all is well.
Love ya!!!!
~Debra

Robynn's Ravings said...

Fear not, Renna! I think many of us are in the "Just can't write or visit much right now" place and, like good old friends, we know we will still be there for each other. Your daughter is a doll and I love that picture with her and your husband (and the dog).

So sorry about the surgery but glad all went well and your four-legged baby recovered. I'm going to the cabinet RIGHT NOW for Minky's heart worm meds. Yikes!

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Renna,
I am so happy to be visiting your blog again. It was always one of the first ones that I read when I logged on.

I am also pleased to learn that your hubby has done well with the surgery and that your darling daughter was able to be home with you for the week. I don't know what I would have done without Emily's support during my mom's surgery and hospital stay.

Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog...You are a good blog friend.

Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

Sarah said...

Glad you're back, and that your hubby and dog are doing well!

tea time and roses said...

Hello Renna!

Hope you are enjoying a most lovely day!

I am having a little giveaway and would love for you to take part.:o)

Smiles....

Beverly

elizabeth said...

I had such a grin on my face when I saw that you had posted!

Bless your heart - you've been through the wringer lately. Even with peace we hate to see our men down.

Don't worry about writing style or any of that stressful stuff - write when you want about what you want.

Karen said...

Renna, I didn't know you were blogging again and I'm so glad that you're back! Happy that everything worked out for your husband and that he is in good health.

I just took a break and gave my dog her heartworm pill. I've been remiss and need to get it back on my calendar so I'll remember.

I love your writing style and you could write about anything and I'd be here to read it (now that I have you bookmarked again:o)