Monday, March 9, 2009

This 'n' That


I've been doing some knitting, but I'll have to wait until my son gets back from a business trip before I can take pictures. He had the audacity to take his camera with him to New Orleans. Harumph!
I don't think a post is complete without pictures, so I'm resurrecting some old ones. Since we didn't get our annual ONE snowfall per year this winter, the above picture is obviously an old one. I either took it last year or the year before. I love the way Redbirds (Cardinals) stand out so brightly against the white of snow. I don't know if more of them come around when it snows, or if they're just more obvious then.

I haven't bored you with a pic of my four legged baby in awhile. This is Leyna, sleeping with her head rested on the crook of Mr. Studley's arm. Daddy, to her. This was last fall when we were camping in Arkansas. He was actually eating his dinner. She was so worn out from our hiking excursion that day that she didn't even bother begging for people food.



This is an earflap hat, fingerless mitts, and scarf set I knit for my niece a couple of years ago. Now I prefer to use the Maine Morning Mitts pattern for fingerless mitts.
Right now I'm working on a felted Hobo bag, by Pipp's Purses. I love this pattern! I've shared before how much I struggle with interpreting patterns. I am such a visual learner. Jennifer, the pattern writer, writes her patterns in such a way that even I can easily understand them. I'm on the very last step of the pattern. All I have left is a few inches of the i-cord handle, then kitchener stitching the two sides of the handle together, and that baby is ready to felt! I decided to wait to felt it until after my son returns with his camera, as I want to photograph it in it's prefelted stage. It's huge!
I'm also knitting a pair of sport socks for myself. I am loving the yarn. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics when I was in Ft. Worth a few weeks ago. It's the sock weight yarn from the Deborah Norville Serenity line, by Premier Yarns. It's a combination of superwash Merino wool, nylon and soft bamboo. Who knew Deborah Norville had a yarn line? The colors are so very pretty, and it's incredibly soft. I'm really enjoying knitting with it. The next test will be to see how it holds up to wear.
I'm torn between finishing my socks and starting another Hobo bag. I picked up several skeins of Lion Wool at our NEW HOBBY LOBBY recently. I live in a small town. We don't have an LYS (non-knitter readers, that's knitterese for Local Yarn Shop), so getting a Hobby Lobby was a really big deal for us. Anyway, the Lion Wool was marked on clearance for $1.99 per skein. That's $3 off their regular price per skein. I grabbed several skeins, as I'm planning on making felted handbags for Christmas gifts next year. I've now got enough yarn to do me for awhile, so I have no excuse for going back to Hobby Lobby anytime soon. Right? Rooooiiiiggghht. ;-)

Posted by Picasa


But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully.

~I Peter 3:15 Amplified Bible

20 comments:

Blessings each day said...

Older pictures are great too. I just love that picture of your pooped out pooch...makes me want to hold her and smooch her, she's so cute. Hobby Lobby is a dangerous place and I love it (we redheads seek out this kind of "danger"...lol). Have a wonderful day and may God bless you,

Marcy

Tracy Batchelder said...

That's a great deal on wool! I was in HL the other day and was surprised to find several natural fibers for sale. It's not just acrylic anymore.

Tipper said...

Enjoyed seeing your "old" pics!

WhiteStone said...

Love the hobo bag! Also love the scripture at the bottom of your post.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics :))
I want to see that Hobo bag when you are done..I love handbags.

My nieces would love that pink hat, mittens scarf..LOL

I was just at Hobby Lobby yesterday..I just started "trying" to make bracelets..so I was excited to see all of their beads:))
Have a great day:))
BTW..did you forget womans day post??LOL Ok..every now & then I will let you slide;)
Hugs,
Jen

Amy said...

I LOVE the hobo bag! and the old pics :-)

Nancy said...

Cardinals don't frequent my area (too far north?) They are beautiful birds. Some day I hope to see one in the wild.

Great deal on the LB wool!

magnoliasntea said...

I love the cardinal picture! It's excellent; you have a great one there. Thank you for posting it.

I've never done one of those hobo bags..have to try it soon.

Deborah Norville yarn? Is she a knitter? What will they have next, I ask. Chuckles. I'm going to JoAnn's this week so I have to check that out. Thanks for the tip. :) Good price on the LB wool.

Anonymous said...

Four-legged babies are never boring! I am SO jealous of your Hobby Lobby! The closest one is two towns over.

Debra said...

Renna-I love the cardinal picture.
We had enough snow here, but thankfully it's all gone now...
I love your knitting projects too. I look at my bag of yarn that is my 'current' knitting...and I keep looking. Don't seem to get to it like I want to. I'll have to show some pics of some of the things I have knit-to remind myself that I CAN knit!
I've never been in a Hobby Lobby-we don't have them here.
Love your little Leyna-girl too.
Love, Debra

Renna said...

Debra, I go through spells where I have no interest in knitting, too. I just happen not to be in one right now. ;-Þ

Aunt Kathy said...

drat I couldn;t get the link to the hobo bag to work, guess I'll have to wait until you get your camera back

Brenda Pruitt said...

I so love that sweet dog...
Brenda

elizabeth said...

When I see a cardinal it just makes me gasp with pleasure - seriously. They are so beautiful and I imagine God smiling as he formed them.

And isn't there a saying about letting a sleeping dog lie??? Darling picture. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, your baby is never a bore. SO SWEET! And happy belated birthday to your beautiful daughter. Great knitting projects. I especially like the hat.

Anonymous said...

You have been busy knitting :) Good job, Renna!!!

Interpreting patterns can be daunting because of the way some patterns are written, yes?

A lot of times I pass on certain patterns just because the way it is written. Other patterns however, are written in such a clear way that I can see the project form in my imagination already!

I am happy for you that you at least have a Hobby Lobby near you to purchase yarn. Woah, 1.99 a skein is a good deal!!!!

Claudia said...

Wow her purses really are lovely! I can't wait to see yours!

Carol said...

Love the cardinal pic!!! It was kinda sad not getting any snow this year. I've been finding the red heads of the little finch birds also stand out among the crowd. God sure blessed us with beauty didn't he?

Ummm, WRONG on the Hobby Lobby. LOL Sometimes I simply go to wander. Up and down each aisle. You never know what inspiration will come. Don't forget to hit hobbylobby.com each week for a coupon. And you can use one each day!!!!!

MRS MJW said...

Awesome scripture choice. That really encouraged me. I sometimes forget the courteously part. :-) Cute hat, scarf and mittens set you finished. Thank you for the congrats!

Renna said...

I respond through e-mails to those who leave comments. To those of you who do not have your e-mails on your blogs, I'd like to thank you for the comments you left here, all sweet and encouraging! ;-)