Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Monday's...er...Tuesday's Daybook



For today...


Outside my Window... After an overcast morning, the skies just opened up and the rain is pouring.

I am thinking... I need to work on ways of becoming more organized. It's a weak area for me, and it even invades my knitting. I had all my yarns and books/patterns neatly organized at one point, but my stash grew, and now things are out of hand. It's frustrating to have to go on a wild goose chase everytime I decide to knit something new. I need to keep better notes on what I want to knit next, too. I find that the older I get, the more notes help me!

I am thankful for.... the rain, I'm sure we need it. I am also thankful for the relationship I have with God. It is so comforting when I'm needing direction to know that I can present my need to Him, in faith, and expect an answer. Mr. Studley and I have some difficult decisions facing us, a couple of areas where we really need God to direct our path. Sometimes it takes longer than I wish to get answers, but oddly enough (or not), I seem to learn much (grow) in the wait.

From the kitchen... I just took a cast iron skillet of cornbread out of the oven. It smells nice. I'll probably have a piece of it crumbled in a glass of buttermilk later.

I am wearing... capris, a short-sleeved tee, my Obakashi sandles, and socks. Don't look for me on the cover of a fashion mag anytime soon.

I am creating... I'm halfway through a pair of Toasts for my daughter, Nikki. I do realize winter's practically over, but I got an itch to knit them. I think her winter lasts longer than ours, anyway. It's an easy, mindless pattern, and I needed something mindless. I'm knitting them in Classic Silk, from Classic Elite. It's a DK weight, so I'm using a smaller needle size and different cast on than called for in the pattern.

I am going... Mr. Studley and I are going for a visit to my mom's for my birthday later this week. My birthday is the day after Valentine's, but the timing for us all is better that we go this week. I plan to stop in at JoAnn's Fabrics while there, as there is a fairly new one near my mom. Yea! Plus, we are stopping at the Woolie Ewe in Plano on our way back home. A bigger YEA!!! I rarely get to go to a real live yarn shop, so this is a big deal for me.

I am reading... Eh...I started reading the Shack the other day. I forced myself through the first three chapters. When the book first came out, I was very intrigued and wanted to read it. Someone gave us a copy the other day, and strangely enough, I no longer had that desire. I realize now the Holy Spirit was trying to tell me to leave it alone. NOT that it's a bad book, but rather that it's not for me. I simply don't handle reading about tragedies well, even if they are fiction. It's too horrific for my mind to bear, the thought of a child suffering and it's parents not being able to protect it.

After reading those chapters the other day, I found myself lying in bed that night, unable to fall asleep due to the disturbing images the story created in my mind. I realized it had robbed my peace, and so for me, the book is not a good read. I would like to stress that I'm not criticizing the book, and I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for reading it. It's just not the kind of story I can handle, no matter how redeeming it may prove to be in the end.

I am hoping... for some nice weather next week to work in the soil. I need to move the soil from my compost bin that's been sitting all winter into my herb garden area. I'm then going to start a new compost pile. Lately, I've been saving my produce scraps in plastic bags in the freezer so I'll have a good base when I get started, but I'm running out of freezer space.

I am hearing... the hum of the fridge in the next room, and the occasional bark of a dog across the alley. Other than that, blissful quiet.

Around the house... I'm slowly but surely conquering some of the clutter. It's an ongoing battle for me.

One of my favorite things... is when my daughter calls me from England. Her schedule with work and college classes at night has been so hectic that her calls have been less frequent lately. When we last spoke, she had strep throat, and was feeling pretty miserable. This is about the 4th time she's had to be on antibiotics since moving to England last fall. I don't think the damp climate is setting well with her.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... I pretty much covered that in my "where I'm going" post.

A quote I am sharing with you...I added this in the sidebar of my blog after hearing it on tv yesterday. It really spoke to me.



Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson


Please feel free to join in on this meme through the Simple Woman's Daybook each Monday (I know, I'm a day late, and a dollar short). If you do, don't forget to go to Peggy's Simple Woman blog and sign the Mr.Linky, so other participants can visit you and read your Daybook entry.





Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
~Romans 8:39 Amplified Bible

34 comments:

MSM said...

You totally lost me when you said "cornbread in buttermilk"....
Wow, I don't mean to be rude, but that is GROSS!! :)

Nancy said...

Cornbread is soooo yummy anytime, but especially with chili.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm glad you're getting rain. We are supposed to get some this evening and we really need it, too.

Amy said...

I think it is an art to do the Simple Women's Daybook well and you do!

I made it through The Shack -- an especially difficult read when you've lost a child. I can understand why it stole your peace. It is very disturbing at times. The rest of the book might give you your peace back as the dad meets God in The Shack.

Amy said...

I meant to add that I'm not pushing you to finish the book :-)

Karen said...

Love the RLS quote. I feel about movies the way you do with The Shack. I don't like to see movies that are disturbing. They just dwell in me and it's not entertaining.

And, yes, notes are so helpful as we get older! There's too much to remember!

Gigi said...

Hi Renna,
Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my little blog.
Sounds like we might be neighbors -- I'm about 1/2 way between Dallas & Tyler, and YES!, it's so frustrating to have to make a day long trip just to buy a decent lipstick or button or anything! In fact, I just got home from a trip to Tyler to try to find some Lion Brand Cotton Ease yarn for an upcoming project -- not exactly an exotic commodity -- except in my neck of the woods :-).
Love the RLS quote & I'm so glad to find your blog!
GA

Carol said...

I hear you on the yarn organization out of control. For me, the problem is too much yarn. Did I just say that? LOL

I wish you and Mr. S the best in making your decisions. ((HUGS))

I once had a boyfriend tell me my mood would change depending on what I was reading. Books are powerful things. Good for you for knowing this one wasn't right for you at this time.

Renna said...

Carol, I have noticed before, too, that depressing books can cause me to feel depressed. I began avoiding depressing books!

Gigi, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm guessing you and I probably aren't more than a couple hours apart from each other.
I can't help but get a tad jealous when I read other bloggers talk about going to LYS's or JoAnn's Fabrics, etc., like it was a trip to the grocery store. When for me, it's an all day trip, including 3-4 hours driving and a meal out on the road!

elizabeth said...

Be careful in the Woolie Ewe - I swear they pump in some kind of "buy me" gas! That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!!! It really is an amazing store and I know you'll enjoy.

That's funny about The Shack - I just had a friend loan me her copy on Sunday. I haven't looked at it yet as I'm reading something else, but I am sort of ambivalent about the whole thing. :shrug: Who knows?

Y'all have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Renne :))
I have not stopped by in awhile...Looks like you & Nancy both were a day late...LOL

Wanted to wish you a Happy Bday...Know it is a little early but knowing me..I will forget..

Love your quote:))
Take care and TTYL...Have a great trip:)
Jen

Mary said...

I understand what you say about books. I was very grown up before I realized that I didn't have to finish every book I started. Actually, my friend at the library told me that. I'm a little slow, sometimes. One that comes to mind is Sophie's Choice. I read it before I ever had children, but I couldn't bear to watch the movie. My cousin just reviewed The Shack on her blog and I knew it wasn't for me.

Mary said...

I understand what you say about books. I was very grown up before I realized that I didn't have to finish every book I started. Actually, my friend at the library told me that. I'm a little slow, sometimes. One that comes to mind is Sophie's Choice. I read it before I ever had children, but I couldn't bear to watch the movie. My cousin just reviewed The Shack on her blog and I knew it wasn't for me.

Claudia said...

I used to have the same yarn problem. Now I have a basket nearby with just a few balls of different kinds of yarn - some cotton, some wool, some acrylic - different colors and when I'm ready to start a new project, I look through my patterns and I look through that basket and when something matches up, I'm golden! It's a fun way of making things just a little bit random, so I'm not always knitting the same kind of thing. It's working out really well for me. :)

Free Art Printables said...

I love the idea of cornbread! It sounds so comforting.. I've never crumbled it in milk before..mmmm... it sounds good...

Renna said...

Claudia, I admire your self-control! ;-Þ

My Open Nest said...

Ahhh..... the cornbread and buttermilk take me back to seeing my dad do this and talk about his father doing it also. I enjoy it also, but I really like a glass of b-milk with a little s&p, and my cornbread hot and slathered in butter. Mmmm...
I love the toasts, how darling, and yes I can see Nikki wearing those.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. If you ever come visit we'll go to Little Italy, and THEN yarn shops.

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Seems very organized to me. :D

Suzanne said...

Where to begin... Well, I'll start here -- I loved this post. I feel as if I spent the day with you. I'm right there with you in regards to reading books about tragedies -- especially dealing with children. Love the quote by Robert Louis Stevenson... thanks for sharing it!

Isle Dance said...

Beautiful quote. Capris...goodness, you're lucky!

Isle Dance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renna said...

AND a short-sleeved t-shirt. ;-)

Paula said...

I always love hearing about your day, Renna! (and week!)
I'm right there with you on the fashion thing- I have a Tennessee Vol t-shirt (orange of course) and red polka-dot pajama bottoms on. VERY tres-chic.

Unknown said...

i am so glad you shared your personal opinion about The Shack. I am exactly the same way. I cannot see certain movies or read certain books for the very same reason. They haunt me to the point of sleeplessness and depression.

So I shall pass on The Shack. I had no idea what it was about and always wanted to read it. Until today.

By the way, I almost did a Simple Monday on Tuesday post too. But decided to just skip it. Glad you didn't!

Have a great week Renna!!

Kimmie said...

Renna...

Capri's...I am so jealous! The kids just came in from playing in the 'melting' snow ....no sign of spring here!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Anonymous said...

I like peeking into your world and I loved the quote-something positive to think about. Hope your daughter feels better soon-I know you wish you were there to make her feel better.

Joansie said...

I think organization is a lifetime career especially if you are interested in crafts.

Hope your daughter feels better soon.

That cornbread in a skillet sure sounds good. I've never had it that way. Must be a "Southern" way of cooking!!

nikkicrumpet said...

Organizing isn't my thing either...but when it's done it always makes you feel so good. And why would you do that to perfectly good cornbread? I relate to the phone calls from college...they get so busy it's great when they finally call.

Schotzy said...

Hi, renna, I left you a lttle something just in time for Valentine's Day!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

RE the Shack, I'm just like you. For this reason, I have not watched The Passion of the Christ, and I feel very guilty about it. But if I hear/see stuff on the news, I cannot shake it for days. And then when I do, out of the blue a few months later, I flash back to that terrible image or story.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Renna, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Valentines Day my sistah!! I hope you had a day full of memories and Love!!

Hugz Lorie

Shannon said...

I'm jealous that you are wearing Capri's and a short sleeved tee!! We are still months away from that! Corn Bread sounds delish, too :)

Renna said...

Shannon, envy me my warm weather clothing now, but come mid-August, when we're sweltering here in Texas with 100 degree temps and 75% humidity, your envy of me will go right out the window! ;-Þ

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of this and enjoyed checking in on your blog! So much fun!!