Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Big Bite of Comfort

It's been all about the comfort foods around here lately. This yellow cake was made from a box mix, and the frosting was storebought as well. I generally prefer to make my cakes from scratch, but I'm not above accepting a little help from Betty Crocker now and then.

I find chicken and dumplings to be the epitome of comfort food. I know I found great comfort from the steaming bowl of them I ate for dinner this evening. I had some pre-cooked chicken breasts in the freezer. I boiled some canned chicken broth, water and Minor's, and quickly made dumpling dough from a storebought baking mix. It was a quick fix, but very satisfying.
Here are a few links to some holiday projects and recipes I thought you might enjoy.
Posted by Picasa
But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.
~John 14:26 Amplified Bible

15 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Your cake looks so good. At first I thought it was a giant donut. Either way, I could eat the whole thing!

I'm off to check out that advent calendar. I've always wanted one but its not in the budget. Maybe I'll make one.

Wishing you a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving,
Lea

Tins and Treasures said...

Yummo! I want the Chicken and Dumplings...looks fabulous. Today was are making our impossible pumpkin pies in school, so I'll have the folder out of the drawer...didn't you ask about the recipe? I'll try to get it posted here soon.
...and thanks for the nice comments on my blog...

cinnamongirl93 said...

Everything looks so yummy!
Thanks for all the links. There are some great idea's out there. Now all I need is a few more extra hours per day! LOL!

Jennifer said...

Mmmm - two great things. I always go to my Grandmother chicken dumpling soup recipe when I need some comfort food. It's become Primogeniture's favorite "staying home sick food". : D

Nancy said...

I haven't had chicken and dumplings in AGES , and yours looks soooo good.

Rice pudding or pumpkin pie are my ultimate comfort foods.

Anonymous said...

That cake looks amazing! I want some!

Thanks for reminding me about chicken and dumplings. I haven't made those in a couple of years. We have some cold weather coming up for the weekend and they will a perfect dinner then--with turkey, of course!

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've been eating low-fat so long, I can't even remember what true comfort food tastes like. I think right now anything fried would taste heavenly.

Tipper said...

2 of my favorites-chocolate cake and chicken and dumplings!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! You just planned my dinner this evening. I haven't made chicken and dumplings for ages, and your looks soooo good!

Ditto the giant donut . . . :-)

Shannon said...

That delicious looking cake is making me crave a big chocolate donut :)>

Renna said...

You guys are right, it does look like a big chocolate donut. I didn't realize it when I first posted it, but of course, I knew it was a cake.

Thanks heaps, guys, now I'm craving a chocolate donut! ;-Þ

Carol said...

Yumm, I wanna run my finger right through that frosting!

I love the peppermint star ornaments. Thanks for the links.

Paula said...

Oh Lawdy- why are you doing this to me, Renna? You know I want to blink my eyes and be there!
("Let them eat cake...")

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I like to read articles like that. BTW add more pics :)