Monday, April 7, 2008

About the Homeschooling Video & Comment

I felt a strong conviction to homeschool my youngest child and daughter a year or two before I took the plunge and did it. The reason for my delay? Fear. I didn't know anyone around me who was doing it. I wasn't a trained educator. I wasn't even sure where to start. Nevertheless, I was seeking God about it and knew He was leading me in that direction for my daughter. He did lead me to the help and resources I needed.

Though my daughter is now grown and I no longer homeschool, I still think like a homeschooler. I tend to be rather passionate in my opionions of it. In my way of thinking and expressing it, I hope I haven't offended any of you who's children attend or did attend public school.

I assure you, I don't look down on those who send their children to public school. I don't think I was right and you are wrong. I certainly do not feel superior to you, or that my child is superior to your child or children. I realize that many, many children receive exemplary educations in public schools. I know there are alot of excellent public schools out there. I personally know some wonderful public school teachers.

For us, homeschooling was the right thing to do. I still feel that, overall, the public school system is not a success. I think what does make successful students is parental involvement, lots of it. Whether it be at home through homeschooling, or being involved in a child's education through a public or private school, parental involvement is the key. I think we should no more expect the school to be totally responsible for our child's academic eduation than we should expect the church to provide our child's complete biblical and spiritual training. The majority (though not all) of successful, well balanced adults had at least one parent who was a strong source of encouragement to them throughout their childhood.

I would like to apologize if I offended anyone; whether I made you feel guilty as a parent for sending your children to public school, or whether I made you feel snubbed as if I thought my child received a superior education to your child. I can only speak from my own point of view in regards to my child, and what I know was right for her. I may think like a homeschooler, but I am not at all prejudiced against non-homeschoolers. It was not my intention to alienate anyone. I embrace the idea of all children receiving a good education by whatever means is necessary, and the support of caring parents.

8 comments:

MSM said...

We choose homeschool because our public schools are worse than most, and it was the best choice for our children's personalities, our lifestyle, etc.

My three kids (very spread out ages!) have had some public schooling, some private schooling, and now exclusively homeschooling, depending on where we lived, what our resources were, what their personalities are / were.

Like you say, what works is involved parents, making the choices that are right for their families.

Amy said...

Parents ARE the key to success no matter the placement. At issue here I think is that the system is failing many children. Not everyone is blessed to live in an area that offers global excellence in academics, the arts etc - homeschooling is such a blessing for those who need to seek other options.

Anonymous said...

As passionate as I feel about my right to homeschool, I am equally passionate about EVERY parent's right to make these choices for their OWN children . . . whether they choose public school, private school, or home school. It sounds like you support a parent's right to direct their child's education, too, although you homeschooled your own. :-)

Susan said...

Dropped in to say hello and have a good week. God bless

Tracy Batchelder said...

I was not offended and I hope my comment did not give that impression. I agree that parental involvement is the key no matter which route we choose.

Tipper said...

You pointed out the most important part of a child's education-parent involvement.

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Well, I know your heart and you would never choose to hurt anyone. This post just expanded on the other one. :D

I love homeschooling, but most of all I love spending time with my kids. I do know that it isn't for everyone.

Sharon said...

Good post Renna. Because I know YOU, I know you had no intention to offend.

Like Marilyn, we enjoy spending time with our children also, and it was the right thing for us to do.