Friday, July 23, 2010

When Left To My Own Devices

Mr. Studley's been out of town this week. When he's away, I get lonely and bored. When I'm lonely and bored, I tend to eat...too much. It's a bad habit which should come with a Surgeon General's warning.
Yesterday, I baked the Muffins That Taste Like Donuts recipe from Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen. Where have these things been all my life? The recipe is so simple, you can hardly call it cooking. The ingredients are something most of us have on hand at any given time. I baked these early yesterday evening and had two for dessert after dinner. At such time as you see above on my kitchen clock (I'm a night owl), I caved, and had to have three more. I had milk rather than coffee with them. I took that picture this morning. In my defense, these weren't full sized muffins. They were more like mini-me muffins. I used a mini-muffin pan. If I bake them that way again, I'll pick up some more mini-muffin pans, as I had to bake them in three batches.
Incidentally, my kitchen walls are not that pukish pinkish peachish color they appear in the clock photo, but are actually a pleasant pale yellow. You can see why I try and take most of my pictures outside in daylight, but that doesn't work when I'm binging on muffins that taste like donuts in the middle of the night.

They just kept calling my name. Renna....Renna...come eat us....and so I did.

And I had them again for breakfast this morning.

Oh, ick. I just realized my coffee looks as funky as my wall color. I can't even come up with a name for that color. Suffice it to say, that's not what color it was.
On the knitting front, I'm still cranking out dishcloths. I should take them outside and photograph them, but 100 degree weather and I are not friends. I need to be knitting a baby gift and a pair of socks for my mom for her upcoming birthday. Clearly, I lack self-discipline. Too often, I eat what I want when I shouldn't, and knit what I want when I should be knitting something else.
Speaking of knitting, A Friend to Knit With is having a giveaway. She's giving away a copy of Debbie Bliss' Design It, Knit It: Babies. All you have to do to be entered is leave a comment between now and Monday the 26th at 12 pm EST. Posting about it on your blog is not a requirement. I just want you knitters to have a chance at winning. The book has such adorable patterns in it.
I want to thank everyone for the nice comments on my last post. I guess misery does love company, as it was somehow comforting to me to see that others of you have similar feelings of 'blahness'. I say, blah-dee-dah to those blahs. I'm going to enjoy my weekend. How about you?
Posted by Picasa
I think I need to meditate on 1 Corinthians 9:26-27.
**********************************************
I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.
~the Message
*****************************************************
Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary.
But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit].
~Amplified Bible

31 comments:

Cadi said...

Those muffins look so good. I haven't been to Pioneer Woman in a while, I must pay the website a visit to see what's new.

It's not about how coffee looks, but how it tastes. My children will no longer let me blog about food. I'd be trying to snap the perfect picture while it all got cold & they sat there waiting (& drooling lol)

And the 100F weather. I said the other day, "Praise God for A/C."

Would love to see the dishcloths, though!

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Renna,
The little muffins do look tasty...I don't like to turn my oven on during the summer. It has been so hot and humid here too. However, come fall...I'll need to try these.

I can't wait to see pics of your knitted washcloths. Have a great day. ~Natalie

Debra said...

Hello dear one-I did have ug ug ugly pink walls just like that color-and in my KITCHEN! The previous owners of our home actually LIKED that color. It was in the dining room too! I think you can fiddle with your camera's color settings, but I have no idea how to do it.
The muffins look great, and I'm going over to the Pioneer site right now.
Love you. Debra

Bobbie said...

My kids used to be afraid to go to bed at night (after I would bake a cake or cupcakes) for fear there would be none left in the morning. I could single handedly eat an entire cake in 24 hours, no fooling. This is why I don't bake too often any more. Anyway, hope you enjoyed your cakes, they did look good... however I probably would have dipped them in chocolate syrup before eating them. LOL. Oh. One more thing. What kind of creamer in your coffee? I like hazelnut...

Tracy Batchelder said...

It's a dangerous thing to bake muffins when you're the only one home to eat them. They look delicious!

Karen said...

Now I know what to use my 24-cup mini muffin pan for:)

Yarn Miracle said...

I just copied out the recipe! If they are as good as you say, Ellie and I HAVE to try them.

Unknown said...

I hopped on over via Tea Time and Roses. I love this post and I am now craving those muffin/donuts at 12:51am California time! Unfortunately, I would have to run to the store and that is probably the thing that will save me. Ah well. For another day!

I love this Scripture in the Amplified.

Blessings,
KJ
SoCal

Leslie said...

Oh yummy! Those muffin donuts look fabulous. All that cinnamon sugar deliciousness is calling my name and sadly your coffee is close to the color of mine when I make a latte.

When my husband is gone I like to eat and read. I pile the bed full of books on his side and sleep with them there.

Robynn's Ravings said...

I have her cookbook but I should probably have never heard of those muffins. THANKS, Renna. LOL! XO

Bev said...

And thank you very much! We're headed to Sarah's for a week of housesitting/dogsitting/chickensitting and those are just exactly what we need to munch on all week long.

elizabeth said...

You will never know how wonderful those muffins sound right now.

And I used to get teased about the color of my coffee, then I realized it's the same color as my dog. I now proudly proclaim that I have "golden retriever colored coffee!"

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for dropping by The Feathered Nest! I remember how it was when I first started a blog. I was so excited about it. It was like decorating for a grand party and then waiting for someone to know on the door. Not too many knocks at first. I, of course, had to sojourn into the world of blogs and start shaking hands. Build it and they shall come!

Happy Saturday!
KJ
SoCal

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Thankyou for your lovely comment it means alot to me.
I love the recipe Mmm.Hugs Darcy

christina said...

these muffins look so good!
: )

tea time and roses said...

The muffins look yummy Renna! I also love "a friend to knit with", such a wonderful place.:o)

Take care dear friend and enjoy a most lovely week.

Smiles....

Beverly

magnoliasntea said...

Oh my, those muffins look very good! I'm afraid to have the recipe though. They probably wouldn't last two days here.

Sounds like you're having fun with the dishcloths - I knitted 100 of them the first year I joined Monthly Dishcloths yahoo group. It was a blast. Have fun!

Paula said...

Hey Miss Renna... remember me? *LOL*
Boy-oh-boy do those muffins look delicious. They're calling my name, too- hope you saved me some.
I'm glad this summer is finally slowing down so I can start blogging again- and don't feel bad, I lack the same discipline as you.
I sure have missed your posts, so I'm going to go back and read the older ones and get caught up with what's been ogoing on with you!
Hugs,
Paula

Suzan said...

Renna! Fantastic muffins. It was really fine to hear from you, dear.

nannisandi said...

You did it again!! Sneaked in 2 posts while I wasn't looking!! however my excuse is,that we have been doing a lot of wedding things over here. Did I tell you my youngest daughter(36yrs old and waited for the Lord to send a christian boy) is getting married in 10 weeks time? We are sooooo excited so it's all go in this house.Love reading your blogs so don't stop!!

Stacey said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. As I was reading this post, I was yearning for those muffins, any time of day or night! And then, when I got to the bottom, and the verse you are meditating upon, boy howdy, ME TOO! Thanks for sharing. It's so wonderful gaining insight and encouragement from other bloggers in God's Kingdom. Blessings!

Gigi said...

Hi Renna,
Those muffins look so good -- must try them. We have no good donut shop here -- which might be a good thing?!
I made a peach cobbler the other day and have eaten the whole thing by myself! Mr. FC is out of town, so it was up to me, you know ^v^?
Blessings,
G

Unknown said...

Just dropped in to say hello! I hope your summer is segueing nicely into fall!

Hugs from SoCal,
KJ

tea time and roses said...

Dropping by to wish you a most beautiful week dear Renna!:o)

Smiles....

Beverly

Anonymous said...

Hi Renna,
Those muffins look great :))
It has been awhile, so happy you stopped by my blog , so I could jump over to yours..LOL

I hear ya about the muffins calling your name, I do the worst eating at night it seems..lol
Take care:))

Bobbie said...

Just stopping by to say hello... Hope all is well.

zakkalife said...

I can see why those are hard to resist all covered in cinnamon and sugar like that.

I have no control when it comes to sweets. When I make something, I try to give most of it away so I don't eat all of it. And I'm not exaggerating. There's a chocolate cake sitting in the kitchen that I meant to give to the construction workers outside our house but instead I've ate half of it already!

Bobbie said...

Stopping by again. Waiting for you to post something new. Maybe I'll just get caught up on your posts that I haven't read. Hope all is well... blessings your way, bobbi & gracie

tea time and roses said...

Dropping in to wish you a lovely week.

Smiles♥

Beverly

tea time and roses said...

Hope you are enjoying lovely week dear Renna.

Smiles♥

Beverly

Amanda said...

Just wanted to say I do the exact same thing - I'm a total bored eater.

http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/