Monday, February 1, 2010

The prodigal...daughter?


I've started a new post a many times in my mind the past few (several?) months. Have you ever put off doing something, you knew needed doing, so long it reached the point where finally doing it would garrishly spotlight the depths of your ability to procrastinate? Rather than face the embarrassment of having that ugly truth publicly revealed about yourself, it becomes simpler to just never do that thing. No? I have.

That 'thing' for me has been to write a new post on my blog. It's embarrassing, because many of you have either written me, or posted concerned comments for my welfare. I seemingly blatantly ignored you. I'm probably not even writing this to you, because, no doubt, you've long since written me off as a blog flake, a name I deserve.

I've thought of a hundred things I'd like to post about here, in recent months, but have always been stopped from doing so by knowing I had to first write a re-entry post. I apologize to you who I ignored. I have no excuse, other than that I am a clout. God's working on me. I really am sorry.

Okay, moving on, as Mr.Studley says when things are getting bogged down. I need to find a place of balance in blogging, in both reading and writing. When receiving comments to my blog posts, I have always felt a responsibility to then go and comment on my commentor's blogs. Not to say all my comments on others' blogs have been done in a dutiful sense, but yes, that's what initially begins my commenting there. As I gained readers (and commentors), the number of blogs I was visiting and commenting on, grew. Add to that, the blogs I read and enjoyed who have never (to my knowledge) even visited my blog (mostly knitting blogs), and much of my day was spent blog reading, and commenting.

I was on overload. Try as I might, I could not find a happy balance. Many times, I tried eliminating blogs I read, but there were so few I could cut out, as I enjoyed them all so much. I like peeking into your lives, getting to know you, but I finally reached that point where I couldn't do it all, so therefore I did nothing. I know this may all seem a bit overly dramatic to some, who may even be thinking I need to just 'get over myself'. It's not like I'm even a big-time blogger who gets dozens of comments per day (hardly); but it's been a struggle for me, nonetheless.

Returning here doesn't mean I've figured out what to do about it. Rather, that I've missed you guys, sharing with you here, and reading what you share. I've started reading blogs again (in Google Reader), just not commenting. I'll be seeking to find that happy balance, which shouldn't be too hard, since my readers have probably dropped down to one or two by now. ;-)
As to knitting, I pretty much backed off it about the same time I quit blogging. I did pick up my needles again during the holiday season, making a few small gifts, most of which I forgot to photograph. I do have a few pictures, though, which I'll be sharing here soon.

It already feels good to be back. :-)


Likewise, ye younger, be subject unto the elder. Yea, all of you gird yourselves with humility, to serve one another: for God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace to the humble.
~1 Peter 5:5 (American Standard Version)



29 comments:

Amy said...

Welcome back!

Paula said...

*Sniff*sniffff*...
I thought you were gone for good...

But you're back!! YAYYYYYY!

Missed you... and by the way- don't ever have to feel like you have to come visit me, just promise you won't ever leave again... *giggle*

Mary said...

Yes, I missed you but I didn't take you off my favs. Glad you are back.

Jennifer said...

Hi Renna: We missed you - but totally understand your need for time and space. I love blogging and knitting, but sometimes they are all-consuming! Good luck with your decisions - and best wishes for peace, health and happiness.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Renna,

I understand. I've went through the same struggle. I hope you find the happy balance you're looking for, because I selfishly want you to keep this blog going. I've missed you!

Tracy

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I've missed you!!!! *kiss*

elizabeth said...

Well I just did a double take when I saw you lit up in my Bloglines!

Here's the thing - we all struggle with the same thing. I enjoy blogs even more than tv (gasp!), so could happily read about life all day long, but then I'm no longer living it. The comments are so much fun, but I found myself for a while there changing what I wrote in order to get more comments - silly! I'm back to writing what I want, when I want. I love reading, knitting, cooking, friends and above all God - but there's no telling what will show up on my blog.

And I'm shameful about letting time go by without visiting some of my favorites. I refuse to delete any more off my reader, but I also have finally let go of the guilt I had when I wouldn't have time to visit.

Just do what you can, when you can and let go of the worry.

And above all - welcome back! :)

Sarah said...

Hi! Glad you're back! I've missed reading your blog. :)
BTW, don't feel obligated to come comment at my blog. I completely understand that you need to balance blogging with life. :)

Debra said...

Awww Renna, It was so good to see you back again!! I feel the same crunch of time, and silly me-I follow over 50 blogs...there's no way I can be faithful to everything and everyone...sometimes I don't comment, but love the blogs anyway...it's so good to read your blog again, and get a peek into your life.
~Debra

Blessings each day said...

Were you wondering when I would pop over here? I did check you out when I almost fainted with your new post! Thought I'd let this one 'mellow' a bit and see what happened.

Glad you're back and now you can join the long train of posting what I like to call 'casually' as I have been quite casual the last several months!

blessings and welcome back hugs,

marcy

Bev said...

I'm happy to see you posted and never, ever feel like you need to leave a comment at my place. Visit as it feels good. Blogging should be a blessing, not a burden. And knitting? Definitely knit. If you have to choose between the two, knit!

My Open Nest said...

If I could whistle a shrill sound of excitement to reach all the way to your house, I would. Welcome back my friend. I could relate to all you said about procrasitnating, balance, etc. etc.

Dana

nannisandi said...

I'm so glad "that bird" has been booted off the top spot on your blog!! Welcome back, you have been missed.

Gigi said...

Hi Renna,
So glad to hear from you again. Blogging and blog reading can be addicting, can't it!?
Blessings to you,
G

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Renna..
Thank you for being real and saying what most of us have also been feeling. I have missed you and I am so blessed to have you as my sistah. I too need a balance in blogging it can get so overwhelming.

Hugz Lorie

Tins and Treasures said...

Hi, Renna,
I am relieved to know that you are OK...I have checked many times over the last few months to see if you have posted...and then all of a sudden, there you are!!

I'm looking forward to more of your creative posts...

Please know that I am reading and maybe not always commenting!

Welcome back ~Natalie

Karen said...

Like everything else, blogging is finding a balance. I struggle with it, too. It is so good to hear from you again!

zakkalife said...

Hi Renna,

I'm glad you're back blogging :) I can completely relate to this post. I also get overwhelmed at times with all that blogging brings. You can't respond back to every email and every comment. There is life outside of the blog world after all. And I think most people understand that.

Jessica

sandy said...

I think if you don't read in the reader you'll be less over whelmed. I like you, like to return comments. So, when I make a new post, I visit the people who commented in my previous post. Then when I have extra time I visit everyone on my blog log. As time goes on, I delete people on my blog log who don't return to my blog, or who don't really blog. Sometimes I go back about 5 blog posts to reach the people who commented there. Once in awhile I'll even go back to older posts, which is how I found my way back here. I happen to have a bit more time today.

It has been awhile since we've chatted. Blogging is fun, don't let it bog you down. I think seeing all those things in your email box is beyond over whelming which is why I don't look at them, or sub. Piece meal it. Visit 10 blogs a day or something like that. I find a balance between putting in a load of wash, visiting 5 blogs and commenting. I never visit without leaving a comment unless the blog is distasteful and I've stumbled upon it by accident. Or if no new blog posts exists.

Take Care, hope to hear from you.
Sandy

kat449 said...

(((((((ReNnA))))))) Thank you for MAKING my day....I lost you :(...I didnt have your email addy, & forgot (Im SO bad) the name of your blog cuz I always clicked on to your link when you left comments on mine...I have missed you tremendously. Ive got you locked in NOW sistah! :)
Ive also been guilty & become caught up & overwhelmed w/ the sometimes competitive-ness of being good enough hoping so & so will come back etc...but then I lose someone like you & I get my perspective back. Blogging is supposed to be fun, a way to network, encourage & be & hopefully inspire...lets agree to keep it simple shall we?
I was warmed to see how many have missed & love you so much.
Welcome Home. (((((Kat)))))

Kat said...

Miss Renna.... I dont know why the comment I left last week didnt show up but im here again trying..Im no quitter...& thats why I love you....
I am so joy-filled that you left a comment on my blog, I had lost you when my putter crashed a few months ago....I am so pleased you found me...I have missed you.
Im also back to blogging & loving every minute of it...The friends we meet & network with is supposed to relax us not stress us out. Lets pray we can find a good balance.
I am so warmed to see so many of your friends loving on you here....
Peace & thanks for making me smile...(((Kat)))

kat449 said...

Renna, its me again...tucking your name under "Kin-Folk" was no accident..I consider you my family in Christ....in sisterhood, in the blogging community ...thats all.
Hope you are well. thanks for visiting again...be well...(((Kat))) I hope you change your blog entry soon, it looks like Im stalking you! LOL

cinnamongirl93 said...

Come on friend! Get on the train with me!!!
I'm looking forward to reading your warm posts again!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Renna, I know I can identify with needing to be gone (I did it for about a month) and not being able to keep up with everyone. I have followers come and go and I never even look to see who they were. We can't be everyone's cup of tea whether we blog three times a day (like Pioneer Woman in her early days) or three times a year.

And YES, I completely understand that feeling of it's-been-so-long-I'm-embarrassed. I'm running a contest Monday that I should have run six months ago because it involves someone else!

As far as being funny in my real life I left you a comment on the North Meets South blog post. :) THANK YOU FOR THE HIGH PRAISE!!!!!! I'm TRULY touched by you're comparison. Glad you're back!

Happy Sunday! I'm off to church now.

Robynn's Ravings said...

P.S. You were such a DARLING little girl. Oh my goodness that's a precious picture.

Melony at Whimsy Daisy! said...

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful encouraging comment on my blog about the June situation. My beloved hubby did a home project and mutilated the internet DSL line, so I am just thanking you. It means very much to me. Really and truly.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis... (((( Huzg))))
Many of us can totally relate to your blog post. I know I gave not visiting as often as I would like too, Besides dealing with my illness I into my own gloomy world and just could not write as I wanted to. I guss I decided it was important to listen to my body and so I have. I waish I could visit everyday, but reality is I can't but I figure if my friends were faithful they sould understand, I pray they do.

Hugz Lorie

Leslie said...

I'm a new reader here and have enjoyed browsing! I enjoyed reading your comments on my blog. Have a blessed day!

Bobbie said...

Oh, I see. This was a while ago. But I do so-much enjoy reading your blogs. I can relate! Once again, hope all is well... blessings your way, bobbi & gracie. PS No, you don't have to comment on my blog missie! lol. Just relax and enjoy life :)